• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS/ALB modulator rebuild write up

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I apologize for not getting to this sooner. I have been really busy and this literally sat on my work-bench for 1 year. I checked the invoice for the o-rings I ordered and it has been exactly a year since I purchased them. I rebuilt the modulator right away. I took pictures as I went, but never got to this point.

Second, this is version 1.00 It was quick, rough, but will guide a skilled person to rebuild their ABS.

Third: This issue with these modulators is contamination. The vented reservoir cap is right in the path of the radiator fan. The underside of this cap is vented. Crap gets forced up and under the cap and contaminates end up in the brake fluid of the ABS reservoir.

Fourth: o-rings should be replaced, but a good cleaning can sometimes bring these modulators back to life. If you have gone to this length to take it apart, change the o-rings.

Fifth: This is a modulator rebuild, not a ALB-ABS rebuild. If you have a pump, accumulator or pressure switch failing, this will not solve your problem.

Sixth: Let me know about any errors, required edits, helpful hints, questions, and I will create a version 2 and so on. (version 2 in progress now)

Seventh: If required, an o-ring kit may be in the works. I would be glad to provide The hard part is done. I am not hiding anything though, all the part numbers and measurements are listed in the write up. knock yourself out, bring those modulators back to life.

UPDATE:
Version 3 is now available:
http://www3.telus.net/public/warshan/Cars/NSX/ABS/ACURA%20NSX%20ABS%20mod%20rebuld_v03.pdf

Last edited:
This is great Warren I've got a '91 with a pump out that runs continuously possible accumulator problem maybe? But I will take a look through your ver 1.0 and see if a disassemble & cleaning with new seals will help bring it back to life? Thanks for taking the time to do this :)

This is fantastic!

When I first took possession of my '91 , I did an ABS flush and couldn't believe how much debris I had to fish out. There was one instance where a solenoid stuck, and I managed to get it unstuck by cycling it several times manually. I'll be running through the procedure this winter. Thanks for doing the PITA work of locating proper o-ring size research:)

I feel you are spot on about contamination being the #1 root cause for these early systems.

Awesome write-up. One question: on the valve side (the part that pulses with the long springs) what seals the whole thing up after you cleaned the surface with a scotch brite pad? Is there an existing o-ring on the valve or is there one between the two mating surfaces? Thanks.
-Ky

First, I apologize for not getting to this sooner. I have been really busy and this literally sat on my work-bench for 1 year. I checked the invoice for the o-rings I ordered and it has been exactly a year since I purchased them. I rebuilt the modulator right away. I took pictures as I went, but never got to this point.

Second, this is version 1.00 It was quick, rough, but will guide a skilled person to rebuild their ABS.

Third: This issue with these modulators is contamination. The vented reservoir cap is right in the path of the radiator fan. The underside of this cap is vented. Crap gets forced up and under the cap and contaminates end up in the brake fluid of the ABS reservoir.

Fourth: o-rings should be replaced, but a good cleaning can sometimes bring these modulators back to life. If you have gone to this length to take it apart, change the o-rings.

Fifth: This is a modulator rebuild, not a ALB-ABS rebuild. If you have a pump, accumulator or pressure switch failing, this will not solve your problem.

Sixth: Let me know about any errors, required edits, helpful hints, questions, and I will create a version 2 and so on. (version 2 in progress now)

Seventh: If required, an o-ring kit may be in the works. I would be glad to provide The hard part is done. I am not hiding anything though, all the part numbers and measurements are listed in the write up. knock yourself out, bring those modulators back to life.

UPDATE:
Version 2 is now available:
http://www3.telus.net/public/warshan/Cars/NSX/ABS/ACURA%20NSX%20ABS%20mod%20rebuld_v02.pdf

I've got my ABS unit already out on the bench it was working fine when I pulled it, but once in a while my pump would run and cycle which I always thought was normal. But since I've got it out now would be a good time to attempt a re-build.

I called Daemar they are about 45mins away from my house. If anyone else is interested maybe I can help put together a kit with all the required seals in it? From the sounds of it they would want a big order of almost 100 'O' Rings to start an order up... I will post more as I find out more.

Tks Warren .. great job on the write-up as usual. I have added a link to this thread in the Repairing Your NSX section of the Wiki. If you want me to put the PDF in the Wiki, I can do that too although if it's still being honed, we might want to leave it for a while.

If anyone else is interested maybe I can help put together a kit with all the required seals in it? From the sounds of it they would want a big order of almost 100 'O' Rings to start an order up...

Yes please, I'm interested! From warrenw's parts list, it looks like there are 26 O-rings to be replaced per modulator. So you'd need just four people to put together an order for 104 O-rings.

If anyone else is interested maybe I can help put together a kit with all the required seals in it? From the sounds of it they would want a big order of almost 100 'O' Rings to start an order up... I will post more as I find out more.

I am also interested in a order of 'O' Rings and Grease.
Best Regards
Eric

Last edited:
I have posted all my pictures for this rebuild at: http://www3.telus.net/public/warshan/Cars/NSX/ABS/
The write-up is posted there as well...

I have some left over o-rings and have enough for a couple of o-ring kits

Like I mentioned, I can provide o-ring kits, but I think we should get a count of how many people are interested in kits, so only one order is required. When I ordered the o-rings, it took weeks for them to be available. One size was back ordered for 3 weeks. It would be best to know how many required or just take a stab at 200 of each size to build 25+ kits.

So, let's start a list on who is interested, then we can get started.

kits wanted:
add your name with a reply
once we have enough, we will order the o-rings... Sourcing the grease may take time as well...

1: greenberet
2: Kitaka
3:

Last edited:
Orings/grease for me as well :)

I'm in as well for O Rings & Grease.

Hi,

i have all the parts to do a 02+ ABS conversion, but i want to bring my old ABS to spec right after, so i'm in for the kit, but:

What is the ballpark figure we are looking at with this kit??

3: UnhuZ
4:

Thanks,
Nuno

+2 on ballpark price

O-rings/grease
4: USAFguy22
5: NSXCessive
6:

Hi,

i have all the parts to do a 02+ ABS conversion, but i want to bring my old ABS to spec right after, so i'm in for the kit, but:

What is the ballpark figure we are looking at with this kit??

/QUOTE]

Looking for vendor for the grease right now. Once I have it, I am thinking
~$50.00

Hi,

$50 looks ultra-fine by me.... and i'm in for that kind of ballpark :wink:

just to complete it here... what would be the content of the kit?? as in which o-rings, grease, etc,etc.

Thanks,
Nuno

Thanks for putting this kit together and sharing the info

6: Allen Shim
7: d.n.

Thanks Bram,

Grease is the issue, not o-rings. It is tough to source in a tube.

I actually have enough o-rings for a couple of kits, and I can get more.
I need help with the grease.

Last edited:
I'm in.

O-rings/grease
6: Allen Shim
7: d.n.
8: Dirtbag