• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Owners, post YOUR garage or workspace.

This is my garage. I added a 4 post lift since I took this pic.

picture.php

OK, looking at these pictures, I hate my Garage!
It is too small, too low for a lift, and it is attached to an expensive house.

If I was to do it all over again, I would build a large garage and attach a house to it.

I hear ya. If I could do it all over again I would have a studio apartment above a 3000 sq. ft garage with a fire pole in the center. LOL

OK, looking at these pictures, I hate my Garage!
It is too small, too low for a lift, and it is attached to an expensive house.
I'm right there with you. 1/8-acre lot. 20'x21' garage, with low ceilings, built right up to the edge of the property line back in 1925. Any tear-down-type mods and I have to set everything back from the property boundary by five feet, which would mean a 15'x16' (?!) garage as my only option.

But my job meant I was out on strike for a hundred days in 2007, and I got started on doing what I could with what I had. I had a $500 budget to start with (my wife and I were both on strike -- so no income), and it just kept going from there.

If it's not okay to post a non-NSX garage, the mods can feel free to delete this. The car is German and old, not Japanese and Senna-inspired. But it's a garage with a lot of ideas in it that maybe someone here could use.

I did all the work myself, including setting the tile and digging the pit for the lift. The total budget, including the floor, cabinets, benches and lift was less than $3,500. Everything in the place is second-hand, re-purposed or home-made. I have a LOT of hours in the place.

I also made a website for it: http://www.12-gaugegarage.com

garage2012littlered.jpg

img0444g.jpg

img0440nzs.jpg

img0445bg.jpg

img0467ah.jpg

img0434cp.jpg

img0426i.jpg

Work benches that fold down from the wall:

bothdown.jpg

img0427id.jpg

june282012au.jpg

And it's got its own a video:

The 12-Gauge Garage Video

And yes, a video just about the lift I put in:

My Garage Lift

Is it always this clean? No. Not by a long shot.

humpty.jpg

But it does go back to clean very quickly -- that's the real accomplishment of it, I think. I finally took the time to work out a place for everything to go when It's not being used.

In practice, it makes a huge difference not having to spend so much time looking for things you've misplaced. I spent years doing that. :mad:

Jack Olsen
1972 Porsche 911
And a cool two-car garage

Last edited:
Welcome to NSXPrime Jack :smile:

I've followed a lot of your threads on garagejournal.com - You have awesome well-thought out ideas and know how to carry them out!

And now back to the more normal garages:biggrin:

Here's mine right now. With the engine, interior, and most everything out, I intentionally didn't show the rest of my mess!

73.JPG

Some of the key things working garages should have are:

Plenty of light
Lightly colored to reflect the useable light
Nice floor for easy clean-up and finding little dropped items
Insulated with modest heating and A/C
Plenty of electrical circuits
Organization ans plenty of storage

Dave

Been thinking about similar type of lift fitted perfectly to the lift points on my NSX

Makes it easier to clean the wheels, inspect underbody, tweak stuff, etc

Sometimes you wanna see the underside and check out everything before a drive ya know

My dream garage is an aircraft hanger attached to a house, adjacent to the tarmac "back alley" (there are a few available in Chandler but the price tag is reserved for the 1% folks, like Phoen$x *poke* )

Nice garages fellas

Pic before I got the NSX...but shes in there now!

460 sqft mancave upstairs, 1200 sqft workspace down....
Looks like a Garage Condo to me. I have been toying with this idea,
as there is a developer trying a development for a garage condo complex.
Is this at the Dens?

Jack, I followed your garage build on The Garage Journal as well.
No worries, many of us had or still have Porkers over the years so that's cool too!

Brian
(20 years in the PCA)

I'm right there with you. 1/8-acre lot. 20'x21' garage, with low ceilings, built right up to the edge of the property line back in 1925. Any tear-down-type mods and I have to set everything back from the property boundary by five feet, which would mean a 15'x16' (?!) garage as my only option.

OK, I count 7 fire extinguishers! :rolleyes:

Are you little parodied, or a safety inspector?

I like the lift, not there until you need it!

Nicely done.

Last edited:
some of you guys have some bad garages damn it

like someone said earlier I would build a huge garage and attach a house to it LOL

thats so cool

Welcome to NSXPrime Jack :smile:

I've followed a lot of your threads on garagejournal.com - You have awesome well-thought out ideas and know how to carry them out!

And now back to the more normal garages:biggrin:

Here's mine right now. With the engine, interior, and most everything out, I intentionally didn't show the rest of my mess!

73.JPG

Some of the key things working garages should have are:

Plenty of light
Lightly colored to reflect the useable light
Nice floor for easy clean-up and finding little dropped items
Insulated with modest heating and A/C
Plenty of electrical circuits
Organization ans plenty of storage

Dave

Thanks, Dave. But with that awesome VCT and lack of Christmas decorations/weedwackers/kids toys, yours might not fit in the 'normal' category anymore. :smile:

It looks great!

Jackolsen; nice humble story of a very nice and functional garage. Cool car by the way:smile:

Thank you.

Hey, Jack Olsen's here! I would recognize that garage anywhere. Member for 8 years and has 2 whole posts! LOL
Now I've got three. But I'm a slow writer. :biggrin:

Been thinking about similar type of lift fitted perfectly to the lift points on my NSX

Makes it easier to clean the wheels, inspect underbody, tweak stuff, etc

Sometimes you wanna see the underside and check out everything before a drive ya know
I've used it for my Jeep and my BMW, with blocks to elevate the chassis above the lift surface. But if I worked on them regularly, I would have probably come up with a different solution.

It probably would be possible to weld some holes (and sleeves) into the table top so that you could set in custom-made saddles that correspond to your jacking points. But a simpler route might be a conventional scissor lift submerged in a shallow pit with a cover for when it's not in use. I've seen it done, and you get the benefit of zero footprint, but the flexibility of a scissor lifts arms to raise a variety of different vehicles.

Jack, I followed your garage build on The Garage Journal as well.
No worries, many of us had or still have Porkers over the years so that's cool too!

Brian
(20 years in the PCA)
Thanks!

OK, I count 7 fire extinguishers! :rolleyes:

Are you little parodied, or a safety inspector?

I like the lift, not there until you need it!

Nicely done.
Thank you. My father is a fire safety engineer -- I guess some of it rubbed off. I also bought the Amerex units second-hand, so I have two at the door for the possibility that one might fail. I've been told that if one extinguisher doesn't do the job, the prudent decision is to get out of the building, find a phone and call the FD (and then your insurance guy). :cool:

I don't think I can ever do a lift thanks to the post-tension slab:frown:

Attachments

• IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_2316.jpg
    IMG_2316.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 804
  • IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 812
24'x24' attached at my house. It's drywalled and insulated which is good for these northeast winters. I'd like to put a nice epoxy coating on the floor perhaps. And finish the ceiling with more light.

Or I'd like just to build another one detached from the house :smile:

IMG_20120711_140324.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back