• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My latest addition to the stable...

Just bought this 1988 MR2 N/A. Apx. 31K original miles on her. All original including the tape deck. :wink: The color is called "orange pearl mica" which seems to change color in different lighting. It is more red than anything. I bought it from the second owner, who bought it in 1989 and it basically sat. No stories, no accidents. I was afraid to drive her home, so I had it shipped just to be safe. It had never had anything done to it except oil changes! I just had the timing belt and water pump changed, a full coolant system flush, new tires (flat spots), a new muffler (had a couple of holes in the lowest section of the muffler where moisture rusted it out). The fuel filter showed a little bit of rust, which was expected. We changed the spark plugs as well. All in all, it was in great shape aside from a few door dings in which my paintless dent repair guy removed. It needed paint attention as it had not been waxed in 23 years or so. It was always garaged. She is so quiet, you can't even hear it idle. Toyota had it for over a week to get it back up to snuff. The tech, who used to work on these when they were new was astounded. He inspected everything, and gave it a clean bill of health. He said it just needs one more thing...driven! :tongue:

40778613.jpg

76008779.jpg

37173896.jpg

80658458.jpg

95202226.jpg

64177034.jpg

46486304.jpg

23026512.jpg

18911696.jpg

97446776.jpg

28856566.jpg

58910780.jpg

95869345.jpg

Last edited:
This thing looks brand new!! Awesome condition! Did I see this one listed on Prime earlier? I think someone linked to it. Great purchase nonetheless!

Very nice. Fortunately it's not Super Red. For some weird reason Toyota failed to clearcoat Super red up to 93 {ask me how I know:rolleyes:}. It could use some snazzier wheels.

WOW! Clean MR2s are as hard to find as clean NSX if not more so. 31k miles?Are you for real?? I'm so jealous.

Looks awesome. Enjoy.

Beautiful find!! I had one (blue) many years ago and it was one of the funnest cars I've ever driven - and reliable! Pretty sure I'd bought that one in a heartbeat if I had come across it. Lots of fun -- enjoy ! Jay

Stunning :biggrin:

Great catch. I appreciate the simplicity. Seats look virgin. Wheels look like Merz-Bz big dogs - bet you swap those out soon. ?

Driver.

uuuuuh .... WOW!!! Un-real find! CONGRATS! Very jealous!

This thing looks brand new!! Awesome condition! Did I see this one listed on Prime earlier? I think someone linked to it. Great purchase nonetheless!

That was me, but a different car. 1988 S/C Super Red. I think it had 26k miles on it. It went for $17k.

Very nice. Fortunately it's not Super Red. For some weird reason Toyota failed to clearcoat Super red up to 93 {ask me how I know:rolleyes:}. It could use some snazzier wheels.

Why in the hell did Toyota do this?

WOW! Clean MR2s are as hard to find as clean NSX if not more so. 31k miles?Are you for real?? I'm so jealous.

Yes, for real! Crazy huh?

Stunning :biggrin:

Great catch. I appreciate the simplicity. Seats look virgin. Wheels look like Merz-Bz big dogs - bet you swap those out soon. ?

Nope. Staying all factory on this one.

A blast from the past! Congrats on this rare find! Post some comparisons to the NSX. :D

I will have to do that. Great idea. I'll even put my 93 MR2 in those.

I appreciate the kind comments everyone. It is a blast to drive.

Last edited:
Nice acquisition. If I stumbled across that MR2 it would be very difficult not to add it to my fleet too. Good on ya!

How can you find this car in this condition? I'm both amazed and very jealous !
It looks better than most of the new cars.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the comments everyone. I am really enjoying it. It really does have quite a bit of spirit for a 1.6L N/A. It is not perfect though. It does have a few paint blemishes, one being some staining of the paint on the rear bumper. It is like the owner hit some typ of chemical on the road and it sat on the paint and stained the clearcoat a bit. It has some scuffing on the underside of the front lip from hitting parking curbs and a few minor scratches on the paint. One of the dents that my dentless guy took out, upon further investigation, did leave a little bit of a remnant. All in all, I give the exterior a 9.5/10 and the interior a 9.5/10. But then again, for a 24 year old car, I guess perfection is pretty tough to expect for a car like this that was neglected for 20+ years. When I bought the NSX in 2005, it was in even better condition than this MR2, so my expectations are pretty high. I've not even shared my purchase on the MR2 boards yet. I had a feeling my fellow NSX enthusiasts would appreciate this find as much, if not more. :wink:

Way to go DJ that toyota is so sweet. You hear about these cherry unmolested cars, but to get an 88 in that shape is nice to actually see. I applaud your choice of leaving the wheels the way they are. That is one reason that car is so rare. You never ever see an unmolested example, like that which probably makes it, one of one, left on the planet. When you get in and drive its 1988 again, just like it was all those years ago. All stock all original inside and out!

Back