• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Android Phone to OEM Stereo

Hey, guys I've been searching this topic and not sure if there's a real clear answer to this out there, but based on what is working for people, how are you connecting your Android phone (3.5mm headphone jack) to the oem/stock stereo?

I have a Samsung Galaxy s2 and I'd love to stream Pandora etc./listen to my music collection via my phone since there's no $ for audio upgrades at the moment.

I noticed Ryu is doing this and TURBO2GO had some input regarding a viable setup but I'm curious what is working best for people......??

Thanks!!

Jake

Last edited:
Looks like I over-thought that one!!!

How's the sound quality?

I'm assuming it's better since you can EQ it from the phone?

I have my phone do everything, radar detector, navigation, Pandora, phone and it's wired in thru a phone holster and a 3.5mm to USA Spec Adapter into the CD plug. Sound is OK but not great and I do pick up engine speed whine.

Warren, do you have yours wired up with the Grom Bluetooth and if so how does it sound? If you like it, do you have any install documentation and pictures? I've been thinking of going this route just so I don't have to plug the 3.5 plug into my phone each time I climb in the car. I'd just set the phone in the cradle and go.

I use an iPhone with the Grom. The Android can be connected via Bluetooth or USB.
I use Slacker internet radio and I can actually advance tracks with the head unit next track button via USB connect or Bluetooth. No radio noise ever experienced.
Their web site has connect wiring diagrams and users guides.
I would buy it again and did. I have a Grom in the S2000 and Toyota Tacoma as well.

I have the grom iPod unit and I use the dockboss+ to connect my galaxy nexus. It plugs into the iPod USB and there's a 3.5mm jack. Its actually pretty cool cause you can plug your android into any dock that has an iPod hookup

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

So for the time being and until I get a more permanent set up, the cassette adapter it is....!

Sound quality is respectable after eq'ing with the PowerAmp App (the only app I've ever actually paid $ for lol).

Other than the mess w/wires, it's livable for now...

+2 for Grom.

Got the one with the 3.5 headphone jack and the USB 5v charger and added the bluetooth dongle. Just ran the headphone jack and charger cable to the center console. I use bluetooth with my iPhone but thought it'd be good to have the headphone jack / charging option.

Works flawlessly.

So for the time being and until I get a more permanent set up, the cassette adapter it is....!

Sound quality is respectable after eq'ing with the PowerAmp App (the only app I've ever actually paid $ for lol).

Other than the mess w/wires, it's livable for now...

I downloaded the Power Amp App and it looks pretty cool but does not function with Pandora. I guess it only works with music in file format like Itunes?

I downloaded the Power Amp App and it looks pretty cool but does not function with Pandora. I guess it only works with music in file format like Itunes?

Yes, its a standalone .mp3/WMA/etc file player. I haven't tried many other music player apps but the main reason I got it is because it allows playback of high resolution/lossless compression FLAC files, plus it had good overall reviews. Also, I don't own a single apple product so it works well for the way I use it.

Pandora is great too, I listen to that when I don't want to hear a full album or don't feel like DJ'ing my drive lol.

p.s. Thanks for the deal on the mini-cats :)

Last edited:
I have the grom iPod unit and I use the dockboss+ to connect my galaxy nexus. It plugs into the iPod USB and there's a 3.5mm jack. Its actually pretty cool cause you can plug your android into any dock that has an iPod hookup

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'm intrigued by this. I just may have to look into this setup for my GNex.

I have the old standard grom aux adapter, just couple mins ago i bought some 3.5mm jack. Hook it up and it work. I can stream music using my s3. Only down fall. U cant jump track using the phone. U can ONLY go to the next track or go back to previous track. Not full control from phone. Vol adjust thru phone n headunit. Shuffle work from phone only. Thats it.

Ill play around some more later. Dunno y it wont let me choose certain song. Its either Next song or Previous.

Back