• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How often should I change the swimming pool water?

Hello fellows,

I have the swimming pool and the water is crystal clear. Last week, I brought the water to local swimming pool service, Leslie's Pool, to test the water. The guy told me that the water is old and it needs to change every 7-8 yrs ( I was surprised to hear that because I thought the water in swimming would never been changed as long as it is cleared and right pH.). I went home and called another local swimming pool service, Perfection Pool, and she said "Never, as long the water is clear". She also mentioned when empty the pool, the pool might pop out of the ground and needs professional service to empty it.

I am confused at this time.. to do or not to do?. So I decided to ask you guys, Mr. Know-it-all.

Thank you, guys

Last edited:
I've never heard of such a thing. The only time you need to empty the pool is to replace the liner for a vinyl pool or resurface a gunite pool. Depending on construction vinyl pools can collapse without water, and gunite pools have been known to pop out of the ground if there is enough hydrostatic pressure (common if the pool is near a lake or ocean). Leslie's is good for the occasional bottle of chlorine or an o-ring, but that's it IMHO.

Last edited:
The guy told me that the water is old and it needs to change every 7-8 yrs
That's nuts, completely nuts. At least here where we live and where it rains 50+ inches a year. Could be different where you live, but I would never ever consider draining water from the pool unless there was some construction reason.

Where are you going to get some new water. Water on earth is about, what 600 million years old?

If you are in a dry climate with little rain, evaporation and adding water can build up a lot of minerals in the water. So you may have to dump a portion and add fresh once in a while to keep it from getting to crusty.

In the past I bought a house that had a indoor pool and it was left uncovered for years and hard water added and added. The hardness was over 60 grains and everything was scaled and there was even scales floating on the surface. After dumping in 4-20lb pails of dry acid with no change of PH I ended up draining 1/3 and refilling with softened water.

Last edited:
Where are you going to get some new water. Water on earth is about, what 600 million years old?

I want to clarify .. he meant "old water" is too much old chemicals in the water over the years.

I am in North CA. It does not rain in the summer, but rains in the winter, but not much.

Unless they tell you what chemical is building up I would not get too excited about it. If that is really a problem then in California you may need some kind of permit or be subject to a fine for discharging that water. :rolleyes:

I had heard this same theory after I bought this house 3.5 years ago. We kept the same pool guy the previous owners had. In fact, he installed our pool in 1985 (prior to our ownership) and has serviced it since the day it was installed. When I posed this question, he looked at me like I had a d!#k coming out of my forehead. This is my first pool, so I had no idea. BUT, I heard exactly what the OP did.

I'm guessing the hardness number is getting up there. Did they give you some sort of report with the information?

I usually have trouble with keeping the water clear when the PH gets out of range.

I have had to drain 1/3 to 1/2 and refill to lower the hardness number a couple times over the years.

If your water is in balance and the salt content (solute) is ok then water exchange is not needed,but if you have high ca+ or salts, that is hard to remove,much easier to need to add it if low.....my experience is only with fresh water...saline pools may have other issues.

The water in my pool has been there for 15 years (last time the plaster was re-done). Northern California water has no particular hard/soft issue. Just keep the chemical balance correct from week to week, add water occasionally (evaporation - even with a cover like mine).

I'm guessing the hardness number is getting up there. Did they give you some sort of report with the information?

I usually have trouble with keeping the water clear when the PH gets out of range.

I have had to drain 1/3 to 1/2 and refill to lower the hardness number a couple times over the years.

I have the report and will post it when I get home. The water in my area is very hard and scales build-up the around the pool very fast. I have to scrub them off at least once year even with this chemical http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Stain-Removers/14222.html

Sometime I wonder if it really works or throwing the $ away.

From my understanding.

you dont drain the water unless you have too much salt in it. or if the water actually turned green and murky.

issues with draining water
- Need to drain it to sewer drain. do not pump it out to storm drain which will run to the ocean.
- pool may collapse if you have a fiberglass pool.

- Plaster may get ring stain if you dont have a continuous drain and fill.

- goog luck.

In areas with hard water that is absolutely correct that you should drain the pool every 7-8 years. Once you get so many minerals in there you get to a point where thee chemicals become ineffective. They only way to get rid of them is to change out the water.

Last edited:
Several of your values are very high, but the cyanuric is off the chart. I'd say you need to turn over about 1/3 of your water. BTW, chlorine at 5 is way up there too.

Back