• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HugaBuga's Fast and Easy DIY auto-up Window Mod

This mod from HugaBuga is so easy and so cool, that it deserves its own thread.....
There is also an easier solution if you do not wish to modify the switch but still have the AUTO-UP: just shunt [with a wire jumper] the 2 wires in the door plug, you will lose the normal "UP" function [by which the upward movement stops when the switch is released], and replace it by the permanent "AUTO-UP" [by which one touch of the switch completely raises the window]

shunt.jpg

[The connector on the left is the North American connector. The one on the right is the JDM connector.]

Then if you do not wish to let the window completely roll up, just invert the switch pressing "DOWN" one time to stop it, or lower it later to your desired position...

It took me less than half an hour. So that means it will take anyone with even modest electro-mechanical ability about 15 minutes.

All you need to do is slide out the small cover behind the inside handle of the driver's side door, remove the eight screws, and then unplug the lock and window electrical connectors.

Make a 3" long jumper from 18 ga. solid core wire and strip about 3/4" - 1" of insulation off one end and 1/4" of insulation off the other. The long piece of bare wire gets shoved down the hole on the right side of HugaBuga's diagram (there isn't enough room for the wire with the insulation on) and the short piece of bare wire goes down the hole on the left side. Push them both down firmly to make sure they attach to the connector. Test by pulling up gently. If they don't more, you've pushed them far enough.

Re-asssemble and you're now ready to enjoy your auto-up feature on your driver's door. And don't forget to thank HugaBuga for this. He is an NSX Sensei!

Last edited:
Is there an existing safety switch that cancels the auto up in the event of an obstruction? Aweome idea though, I think this is next on my list!

Edit:
I am having a difficult time getting each end of my wire to stay in the plug and get a solid connection. I am able to hold the jumper wire in place and the auto up works, super excited for this mod!

Last edited:
Is there an existing safety switch that cancels the auto up in the event of an obstruction? Aweome idea though, I think this is next on my list!

Edit:
I am having a difficult time getting each end of my wire to stay in the plug and get a solid connection. I am able to hold the jumper wire in place and the auto up works, super excited for this mod!

I understand there is no safety switch.....so it is strongly recommended not bumping the switch when something (your head, for example :eek:) is sticking out of the window. You would have to hit the switch in the down direction to stop the upward motion of the window.

The wire I used was a single strand of copper and stiff enough that it could be pushed down and into the clip securely. I think you might have problem if the wire is composed of a number of small strands since they can easily bend and would not be easy to push into the clip.

I absolutely love this mod. It is so nice just to touch the switch once to raise the window rather than hold it while the window rises to the top.

The wire I used was a single strand of copper and stiff enough that it could be pushed down and into the clip securely. I think you might have problem if the wire is composed of a number of small strands since they can easily bend and would not be easy to push into the clip.

Thanks for the tip! This is exactly what I was doing wrong!

My impression of this mod
I just completed this mod on my 92 NSX and it took a lot longer than 15 to 30 min
In order to access the drivers window switch I had to remove the entire door panel. The only thing I accessed when I removed the door handle was the door switch!
Also, my switch plug did NOT have a male pin in which to insert the jumper wire so I insured the 18 gauge SOLID wire was even with the other pins and in good alignment, but lo and behold it WORKED!!!!
So, although it was harder and more time consuming than described above, I now have auto up function on my driver window!
Thanks to Hugo and NSXtoPlay for this post

This thread needs to be fixed with a new photo. Also telling us which "C" connector and what color wires to jump would be almost better than a picture. The "C" connectors are all covered in the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual or ETM btw.

This thread needs to be fixed with a new photo. Also telling us which "C" connector and what color wires to jump would be almost better than a picture. The "C" connectors are all covered in the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual or ETM btw.

If I get some time, I will pull off the armrest and take a picture and put it in my post. And since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'm not going to even attempt to describe which connector and what colour wires I jumped. The other problem being, of course, is that I cannot remember.

You made me open my door panel again! :biggrin:

Here is a picture of the JDM/EURO window switch of the driver side

Ez70mY.jpg

The US Acura switch does not have the red/orange wire (pointed by the left black arrow), but you'll find that the wire is present on the other side of the conector coming from the door harness.
Just use a shunt to connect the black/yellow wire (pointed by the right black arrow) to the pin on the left were the red/orange wire is missing and voila! you'll have the AUTO-UP function available on the Acura

I named it "THE EASIEST DIY MOD OF ALL TIMES"
Enjoy!
Hugo

Just did this over the weekend. Awesome fix. Definitely prescribes to the K.I.S.S. principle. Wanted to give this a bump in case other people didn't know about this.

Thanks Hugabuga!

So you just run a jumper wire between the black and the red wire?

So you just run a jumper wire between the black and the red wire?

The NA Acura switch does not have the red/orange wire (pointed at by the left arrow in HugaBuga's picture above), but you'll find that the wire is present on the other side of the connector coming from the door harness. Just use a shunt to connect the black/yellow wire (pointed at the right arrow) to the slot/hole on the left where the red/orange wire is shown in the picture (but missing in NA Acuras) and voila! you'll have the AUTO-UP function available on the NSX.

Make a 3" long jumper from 18 gauge solid core wire and strip about 3/4" - 1" of insulation off one end and 1/4" of insulation off the other. The long piece of bare wire gets shoved down the hole on the right side of HugaBuga's diagram (there isn't enough room for the wire with the insulation on) and the short piece of bare wire goes down the hole on the left side. Push them both down firmly to make sure they attach to the connector. Test by pulling up gently. If they don't move, you've pushed them far enough.

Cool. I will do this when I replace my Teflon window sliders.

OK,
i've now spent over an hour trying to figure out this "easiest mod ever" and i'd like to do it but ????????????
I can't get the pics to come up and I have dis-assembled my switch. It's now in pieces.

Do I need to use three saw blades?????
Do I need a "three inch wire" ????
Do I need to solder a wire from the empty hole to the black/yellow??????
What about the missing red wire????????
Do I need to remove a "bump stop" ??????
Do I need to get a piece of rubber to push on the spring???????

Can anyone make this simple and get me access to pictures?, Please while I have my door apart!

Cheers
nigel

OK,
i've now spent over an hour trying to figure out this "easiest mod ever" and i'd like to do it but ????????????
I can't get the pics to come up and I have dis-assembled my switch. It's now in pieces.

Do I need to use three saw blades?????
Do I need a "three inch wire" ????
Do I need to solder a wire from the empty hole to the black/yellow??????
What about the missing red wire????????
Do I need to remove a "bump stop" ??????
Do I need to get a piece of rubber to push on the spring???????

Can anyone make this simple and get me access to pictures?, Please while I have my door apart!

Cheers
nigel

Nigel,

Which mod are you trying to do? Their are 2 different auto-up mods. And you need to clarify which one you want to do.
1. The mod in this thread requires you only to use a 3" jumper wire on backside of switch. Takes 5 min as it typically can be accessed without door card removal. No other physical changes to switch.
2. A more in-depth mod which sounds like you are trying to do requires physical mods to the switch itself and opening it up to sand/file down extra space for the increased travel of the switch.

I personally did the 1st version.

I'm sorry you disassembled your switch. There is no need to do that. All you need to do is described in post # 9:

You made me open my door panel again! :biggrin:

Here is a picture of the JDM/EURO window switch of the driver side

Ez70mY.jpg

The US Acura switch does not have the red/orange wire (pointed by the left black arrow), but you'll find that the wire is present on the other side of the conector coming from the door harness.
Just use a shunt to connect the black/yellow wire (pointed by the right black arrow) to the pin on the left were the red/orange wire is missing and voila! you'll have the AUTO-UP function available on the Acura.

I simply used a piece of solid copper wire about 1 inch long, bent it into a "U" and jammed it into the plug: one end into the space with the black/yellow wire and other one into the space that has the red/yellow wire in the picture. For US models there is no red/yellow wire, so that "socket" is empty.

HTH

and actually on 02+ we have that wire so you can just connect it using a wire tap.

9adcecde0206ac659aeb3c7cb611ff64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, i've now spent over an hour trying to figure out this "easiest mod ever" and i'd like to do it but ???????????? I can't get the pics to come up and I have dis-assembled my switch. It's now in pieces. Do I need to use three saw blades????? Do I need a "three inch wire" ???? Do I need to solder a wire from the empty hole to the black/yellow?????? What about the missing red wire???????? Do I need to remove a "bump stop" ?????? Do I need to get a piece of rubber to push on the spring??????? Can anyone make this simple and get me access to pictures?, Please while I have my door apart! Cheers nigel
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/145086-DIY-Window-Switch-AUTO-UP-function/page2 this thread covers the same topic, and the pictures are still there... I did this mod a year ago and it works great. I used epoxy to make the support for the spring. It took a few hours but I think it's a much better mod than switching to 'auto up' only.

Thanks and sorry for being unclear.
I am wanting to do the "Auto up" mod and from what i'm reading I need to disassemble the switch, (which i've already done) and saw the opening or "up stop" and another person says to "use a rubber piece" for the spring to push on.
Don't mean to be thick but it's confusing.
jimminh, thanks for the link but i've already looked through those, (that complete thread) which is why I asked for help.
I can't get any of the pics to come up except the one that shows the "Acura" plug with the missing wire.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
I am wanting to do the "Auto up" mod Don't mean to be thick but it's confusing.
nigel

I understand what you are doing. When Hugo first described making this modification he did indeed disassemble the door switch and used a dremmel tool to make some indents and a multi-position switch [down; down auto; off; up; up auto] While that will work, it is unnecessary. You don't need up and up auto positions. If you simply jump the switch as described your window will auto-up. If you only want to put the window up a little ways, simply quickly push the switch to the down position when the window reaches the desired position and then release it. The window will stop. YOU DO NOT NEED TO MODIFY THE SWITCH for this to work. It is really easy and it is really a useful improvement. Pulling away from a toll booth is much easier (and safer) these days. You can put the window up with a single button push and shift while it is raising!

mskrotzki, thanks for the simple and descript instructions.
I'll have a go at re-assembling the switch and install a jumper from the blk/yel to the empty hole where the red would be.
Update later.

Cheers
nigel

Last edited:
Back