• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

E-brake indicator on gauge coming on, then TCS and ABS lights stay on

The e-brake light on the gauge cluster stays on when the e-brake is disengaged, then both the TCS and ABS lights come on and stay on. The e-brake light eventually goes away after a few minutes but comes back on under hard acceleration or braking.

The car doesn't seem to be limited power-wise, and hard braking shows that the ABS isn't activating. Haven't tried to test the TCS yet.

Is it probably a faulty e-brake switch?

I am not 100% sure, but this indicator may also be telling your brake fluid is low. Check your brake master cylinder.

HTH,
LarryB

I am not 100% sure, but this indicator may also be telling your brake fluid is low. Check your brake master cylinder.

HTH,
LarryB

Of course your right Larry :smile:.

Yes there is a fluid level switch which could also light the indicator. Both the ABS and the TCS monitor this lead so a failure indication would probably disable both. Fix the Brake indication problem and the ABS and TCS will probably be fine.

Mike

It seemed that the brake fluid level in my brake master cylinder was a bit low and that of my ABS reservoir was a bit high. I transferred about two fluid ounces of fluid from the ABS reservoir to the brake master cylinder and all the lights went away.

Any idea why my brake fluid levels got out of whack? Why didn't those two fluid ounces automatically balance between the two reservoirs?

It seemed that the brake fluid level in my brake master cylinder was a bit low and that of my ABS reservoir was a bit high. I transferred about two fluid ounces of fluid from the ABS reservoir to the brake master cylinder and all the lights went away.

Any idea why my brake fluid levels got out of whack? Why didn't those two fluid ounces automatically balance between the two reservoirs?

As brake pads wear, the main reservoir goes down. Check you pads as well.

There is no interaction between the two systems, so one under, one over does not really relate at all;).

Regards,
LarryB

I have a similar problem but the fluid levels are OK. Did your ALB and TCS light come on straight away or after a couple of minutes driving?

The BRAKE light stayed on after the e-brake is lowered and the ABS and TCS lights would come on almost immediately after a few seconds of driving.

bumping this thread because i had ebrake and tcs lights on recently, brake pedal feel and braking power was great, brake fluid was right at min level..... filled brake fluid to max and everything is perfect again!

Back