• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official ITB Reference Thread

Unfortunately all of Ravi's pictures are not showing up...however, I'd be interested in seeing a dual inlet box as well if there is someone that has gone to the trouble of making it.

I guess one big question on a dual inlet would be "Does the engine actually use enough air for two inlets to be necessary / beneficial? " An adverse argument would be that the air coming across the tops of the horns would be more even if it were coming from both sides.

Also, now that this thread has been revived, are there any additional ITB owners that would be willing to share their information in here?

Last edited:
Unfortunately all of Ravi's pictures are not showing up...however, I'd be interested in seeing a dual inlet box as well if there is someone that has gone to the trouble of making it.

I guess one big question on a dual inlet would be "Does the engine actually use enough air for two inlets to be necessary / beneficial? " An adverse argument would be that the air coming across the tops of the horns would be more even if it were coming from both sides.

Also, now that this thread has been revived, are there any additional ITB owners that would be willing to share their information in here?

I also would like to see a dual inlet box.

I thought I saw a dual inlet airbox from gsrboy, but I think he was building a 3.5L ITB FI application.

I posed the dual intake question, my thinking was that once the box is sealed and the air is coming from both side's it can feed 3 horns at a time. for example the driver side intake path would direct air to the rear bank and the passenger side to the front bank. I'm not an engineer or have no back ground in engineering, so hopefully someone can offer positive comment's to help the topic.
I have seen most of itb set up's using the above air stream method, as in f1, jgtc.
Kakimoto used the oem intake location and a sealed intake box on their design.
I'm not sure how to measure the flow of air from the side's compared to the top ?

I posed the dual intake question, my thinking was that once the box is sealed and the air is coming from both side's it can feed 3 horns at a time. for example the driver side intake path would direct air to the rear bank and the passenger side to the front bank. I'm not an engineer or have no back ground in engineering, so hopefully someone can offer positive comment's to help the topic.
I have seen most of itb set up's using the above air stream method, as in f1, jgtc.
Kakimoto used the oem intake location and a sealed intake box on their design.
I'm not sure how to measure the flow of air from the side's compared to the top ?

I think someone addressed this in other threads when they were developing an intake... They are in actuality just vents. The aero on the NSX doesn't allow much air to go through the vents that's why you see more of the Cai positioned near the rear wheel well. That's why the jgtc car utilize roof scoops to ry air because aerodynamically it streams the most air into the engine. I am by no means an engineer, that's just the info I gathered from reading the threads.

I should stated, are 1TBs legal in California or that matter any US state? Hope that clears things up.
No it won't pass visual inspection. But if you really crazy about running ITBs that should not stop you as it doesn't take much to put it back to oem. Just keep the linkage synced. I'm also looking towards this setup as it's my long time dream (since my first s2000 actually). Aside from cost there is no offering for airbox to feed air from side scoops.

I've been looking at going ITB as well. We need to commission someone to build us an intake box.

Maybe Jeff@Carbon6 or Stephen (Sduff@Composites) can mold up something for us?

I really like the look of Kakimoto air box:

KakimotoNSX-083-800x533.jpg

Problem is that is photoshopped. IMO a proper ITB box needs to show the pipes.

Non-shopped pic.

KakimotoNSX-097-800x533.jpg

07886983.png

Last edited:
wow ! Great job with the fabrication, I assume you made it all yourself. Can you explain why you went with a stepped intake box design from the fender to the ITB box?

wow ! Great job with the fabrication, I assume you made it all yourself. Can you explain why you went with a stepped intake box design from the fender to the ITB box?

No way I can do that by myself or anything close to it. That's actually a water to air intercooler connected to the plenum. I was going to do ITB turbo a while back but just haven't had time to pull it off yet.

- - - Updated - - -

gsrboy: that thing is a piece of artwork.

(So does that mean you're keeping your ITB setup?)

Probably not, any news on the setup you were thinking about?

He's selling it to me.

Are you willing to sell your supercharger?

Back