• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPad mini

So there's no way the mini can mount in the nav pod

See, I hate the navpod. It interferes with the amazing, world-class view from the NSX cockpit. My work will focus on mounting the pad in place of the OEM HU.

Took a test drive with the new device tonight. Each hour of driving with TuneIn streaming radio and the Maps app running nav used 25Mb of data.

I imagine that streaming Pandora/Spotify would use more data as their audio is higher bit rate, but certainly the percentage of drives on which I need the nav (vs ones where I already know where I'm going) is pretty low so it will all even out.

One nice thing I noticed is that you can shut off the screen during navigation, it will automatically pop back on when you have a turn coming up (at the same time as the voice prompt), then shut off again automatically when you have a few miles of straightaway ahead of you.

Findings:

1) Portrait mode is hopeless. You'll accidentally pause the music while shifting gears and if your gear lever is OEM (taller than my NSX-R one) you will cover half of the screen with it.

DzwiBh.jpg

2) Landscape will work. It will cover about half of the ashtray area but there will conveniently be just enough space underneath the device in landscape for the Rockford Fosgate remote plus some other stuff.

qpYj1h.jpg

3) The stock Lightning connector adds a lot of width and would be very unsightly and complicated to deal with. I will need to find some sort of low-profile right angle lightning solution. I'm off to grab and disassemble a lightning to 30pin adapter to see if the ribbon cable thing will work. Even still, the iPad might have to be offset slightly to the right to accommodate the charging solution.

uOXrJh.jpg

Last edited:
Bad news:

All the magnets I bought aren't strong enough to pick the thing up off the floor, let alone hold it still in a moving car. Obviously I'll take it with me next time I go magnet shopping...

Good news:

I have fashioned a crude right-angle lightning adapter. Took about ten minutes of dremeling...

Attachments

• Photo Nov 21, 4 17 40 PM.jpg
    Photo Nov 21, 4 17 40 PM.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 765
Lots more dremeling and some rubber cement have produced something very compact and, hopefully, sturdy...

JK4kLh.jpg

It does work. It's ugly but it's gonna get encased in fiberglass and painted anyway so who cares.

I am permanently mounting the lightning connector in the center console. I intend for the iPad to be removable and secured by magnets.

So you'll slide it onto the Lightning connector and it will snap into place on the magnets.

That is the current thinking... making the right angle Lightning connection structurally sound and able to handle many years of regular connects/disconnects has got me thinking maybe I should just bury the thing in the dash...

I am permanently mounting the lightning connector in the center console. I intend for the iPad to be removable and secured by magnets.

So you'll slide it onto the Lightning connector and it will snap into place on the magnets.

That is the current thinking... making the right angle Lightning connection structurally sound and able to handle many years of regular connects/disconnects has got me thinking maybe I should just bury the thing in the dash...

Make your own replica of the center console, then you can work your magic and get it looking as OEM as possible by having the iPad mini permanently installed. The NSX console is just not wide enough to make a viable slide-in solution.

It doesn't even look wide enough to be permanent, nevermind slide in.

Yes, either way the bottom corners of the device will overlap the leather walls on either side of the console.

Yes, either way the bottom corners of the device will overlap the leather walls on either side of the console.

I was thinking installing the mini in such a way that the bottom corners are behind the leather of the console, recessed back a few millimeters, then fiberglass the console to match the recess of the mini.

I was thinking installing the mini in such a way that the bottom corners are behind the leather of the console, recessed back a few millimeters, then fiberglass the console to match the recess of the mini.

That sounds heavily custom but would probably work...

In my case, for removability, it looks like the mini will have to be offset to the right to allow mounting of the Lightning connector. The left edge of the mini looks like it will line up with the left edge of the CCU window.

iAmJUh.jpg

The shaded area will be raised about 1/3" to be flush with the leather walls around the console. It will be completely covered by the iPad when attached.

hYta4h.jpg

Anyone know if the Belkin aircast works with the mini?

Yes, it will. But then you need an aux in... at which point you might as well get a head unit/adapter that supports BT natively.

I am having real trouble finding a magnet that can hold the iPad mini securely. Thinking I may just need to order the fiberglass tub from Soundman CA.

Yes, it will. But then you need an aux in... at which point you might as well get a head unit/adapter that supports BT natively.

I am having real trouble finding a magnet that can hold the iPad mini securely. Thinking I may just need to order the fiberglass tub from Soundman CA.

Yeah well I already have a equalizer/line output driver so that's not an issue. Any unit that has a headphone jack sounds like a regular headunit when put to the driver first then the amp.

But awesome. That's good to know.

I haven't taken apart my 30 to lightning adapter yet, but in glad that it will work as a right angle adapter.

What type of magnets are you using? Rare earth magnets? If not try www.kjmagnetics.com I just placed a order. The magnets are for a different project but ill let you know if they hold the mini up or not.

Back