• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Winter Tire Selection

First of all, it's a bad idea to mount a tire on a rim that is wider than the tire manufacturer's specs for the model and size of tire. Even aside from the mounting issue, it creates excessive stress on the sidewall, possibly leading to tire failure (blowout, etc).

As for the TCS, no, it's just a bad idea to use tires that will activate the TCS. Even though the tires may not be spinning, the fact that they are rotating at unexpectedly different ratios will make the TCS think that they are spinning. That's the problem.

The best 17"/18" sizes for your car are 215/40-17 front and either 255/35-18 or 265/35-18 rear. In those sizes, there should be no concerns about mounting, rubbing, or TCS problems. There is one winter tire available in 215/40-17 and 265/35-18: the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme. You can buy them here.

I'm pretty sure you missed/ignored my point about TCS, which specified selecting a tire size that would not activate the TCS under nonslip conditions. Rather, I'm interested in the practical effect of a tire size that pushes the OEM ratio larger in the rear.

But I very much appreciate your view on stretched tires and your recommendation for those winter tires. I will look into them, even if the brand somewhat scares me due to my ignorance. Thank you.

Edit: from a quick poke around the Web, they appear to get quite good remarks. I'm starting to feel better.

Last edited:
any good winter tire options for stock 16/17 wheels? Pirelli Sottozero is available for the front but not the rears.
Are the hanook w310 jwmelvin mentioned earlier the only option for 16/17 wheels?

the alternative would be to just get all seasons in 205/45r16 and 245/40r17. I just want to be able to drive it to work on sunny dry winter days so performance is barely a concern. I just can't rub as i can't get into my garage without a couple full lock turns.

I suppose the alternative is to give up driving the car this winter (or just deal with the increased wear of driving on my summer tires) and instead get 17/18 wheels next spring which will open up my tire options for winter '15

Last edited:
Those w310 were very good but if you don't mind giving up dry performance the x-ice 3 are no doubt even better. Both available in reasonably good sizes for 16/17. I tried not to drive it when things were really gross so the winter performance tires were perfect for me.

Quick winter storm update. 5 degrees F this morning and 6 inches of snow on the roads on the way to work. With the X-Ice it was like driving on dry pavement. I even tried to engage ABS on my home street by slamming brakes at 20 mph and the car just hauled down to a stop with a small chatter from the ABS. Amazing winter tire. My favorite part was blowing by all these Tahoe 4x4's sliding all over the road and seeing the double-takes from the drivers. That's right. That black flash you saw was a NSX in the snow. :D Highly recommend X-Ice Xi3 for winter driving.

I just looked these up to buy a set...bummer, TireRack is sold out. I need a set of snow tires for the winter. Anyone want to recommend what they are using?

I am using 16/17 setup for the winter tires.

last I checked, I couldn't find a single winter tire for the 16/17 oem rims.

When I had those wheel sizes I used 205/50-16 & 245/45-17. This was on a stock-suspension car and the rubbing was so minimal as to be no problem. On a lowered car, that may not apply. There were a few good options for winter tires in that size.

When I had those wheel sizes I used 205/50-16 & 245/45-17. This was on a stock-suspension car and the rubbing was so minimal as to be no problem. On a lowered car, that may not apply. There were a few good options for winter tires in that size.

Boom!

I put these on today. Minimal rubbing, super traction. Tested the ABS several times today. (On purpose)

Gonna have some fun in the snow this year. Cleanup will be interesting.

Fronts: 205/50R16 Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Rears: 235/45R17 Michelin X-Ice Xi3

Took the car out for a spin today and put the ABS to work. The tires did fine.

Just a side note about the tires. I took off the 18" BBS I had at all four corners and went to 16/17. I have to say...I like it better. The power steering responds better. The rolling over bumps is much nicer. I must be a creature comfort guy.

Back