• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clear Bra Comparison Test: 3M Scotchgard, Avery, Venture Shield Ultra and Llumar

Clear Bra Comparison Test: Avery, 3M Scotchgard, Llumar and Venture Shield Ultra

We just purchased a new car for my wife and I wanted to get a clear bra installed on her car.
I was in search for reviews about the different clear bra films avail in the market today and I came across this video in YouTube.
Just in case you were in the market for Clear Bra, check this out.
Very interesting test was done on the various films.

He even used paint thinner!!! :eek:

Paint Protection Comparison Scuff Test vs Avery, 3M Scotchgard, Llumar and Venture Shield Ultra.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OhVhZqZvKaM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
WOW good to know as I plan on having a clear bra put on the whole front of the car after it is repainted from all the rock chips from daily driving it.

I spoke with the guys prestige who cover some really rare and awesome cars that the choice of clear bra depends on each individual application.

Some materials are crystal clear, some are more tear and rock resistant, some offer medium benefits of all, etc etc

I woul recommend everyone that is looking at getting a clear bra to speak with a professional to make sure the money you spend will reap the results you're looking for.

xpel is the best guys not 3m imo

xpel is the best guys not 3m imo
I personally have 3m Scotchgard on my NSX.
I love it, no complaint, I have had the clear bra since 2004 and still looks great. It actually still looks NEW. But then again it will look new coz I only drive the NSX about 2000 miles a year. LOL.
My wife's previous daily driver did have the same film (3m Scotchgard) she had about 80k miles and the film still looked really good.

When washing and cleaning your car. Just make sure the bra gets a good coat of wax just as you do on the paint.

I have spoken to some local installers. And most of them preffer the Venture Shield because they are the easiest to work with and install. Looking at the test video above, I won't go with Venture shield.
(I did some research and found that Venture Shield was a different manufacturer but was bought by 3M.)

Like I said earlier, my wife just got a car and have not really read up on New clear bra manufacturers since 2004. I'm interested to see how the Expel performs (self healing).
If it does NOT hold up as good as the 3m did, then will just go with 3m Scotchgard.

The installer posted a comment in YouTube on the video above.
"We plan on making a new video to show Xpel Ultimate, Suntek, Durashield and hopefully Digicut. But we have confidence that Xpel Ultimate will win the test with it's self healing clear coat. We only stock Xpel Ultimate and 3M scotchgard. The two best films on the market...clearly."

So waiting on the video test... :smile:

Last edited:
OK, I didn't watch this vid, but I've searched the topic before....I know that Xpel has had some great reviews but how has it been holding up over time?

Still preventing rock chips?

I've heard horror stories about the paint lifting on removal.....are you guys worried about this?

Oh, and what about wax? I've seen some clear bras at at dealership locally (xpel) and every single one had a big white line of wax on the top of the bra...

Last edited:
OK, I didn't watch this vid, but I've searched the topic before....I know that Xpel has had some great reviews but how has it been holding up over time?

Still preventing rock chips?

Sorry i don’t have that film on any of my car.
Hope someone can chime in on this.

I've heard horror stories about the paint lifting on removal.....are you guys worried about this?

If your paint is Original paint, then most installer are not too worried about the paint lifting when removing the clear bra.
Now if you car has been repainted. Then most installers are concerned. What they told me was it all depends on how good the surface was prep prior to repaint. Also there is the risk of paint peeling if the clear bra was not removed properly.

I'm not an installer but i have seen them do this. My friend used to own a shop that installed clear bra but went out of business due to the economy.
I used to hang out of their shop. There is a proper way to remove the film. They heat the material and pull on a very steep angle. What you should also be worried about are CUT marks, there are areas during installation that they may have to trim the film on the car, and some inexperienced installers sometimes go through the film and and cut the paint surface :eek:

Oh, and what about wax? I've seen some clear bras at at dealership locally (xpel) and every single one had a big white line of wax on the top of the bra...

Just avoid applying too much wax on the edge of the film and try to wipe the excess. In the event that the wax builds up, what I use is a baby tooth brush (Soft bristles) then followed by a liquid instant detail. Done!
No big deal

Hope this help and if any of my answers/comments are inaccurate pls correct me.
If you have any tips on how to maintain a clear bra pls share :biggrin:

They left out the Xpel Ultimate with self healing.

Agreed with the Captain. Hard to have a valid comparo if you're leaving out XPEL. Best pre-cut patterns in the industry and the Ultimate is the most amazing PPF I've ever seen. The regular XPEL Extreme is none too shabby as well. As the OP stated, 3M now owns VentureShield, that happened about a year ago.

XPEL Self Healing is awesome.............. but don't ever attach a camera rig to it.

Ask me how I know.

I too would have to give thumbs up for 3M, I have had it installed since 2002 WITHOUT any problems-peelings or complaints. As a previous poster stated, it is harder to conform, so we did have to do the front bumber in 2 peices, but unless you knew where to look you would never know, and my I remind you this is a Black car...... the mirrors were also a pain in the butt, but glad I did them. I just take care of it and wax it when I do the rest of the car but if I am using my polisher, I just skip over it and do it by hand, dont know if that matters but 10 years later I am still :biggrin::biggrin:

I am considering putting on a clear bra on 4 areas (behind all 4 tires).

I have a 96 so it already has lots of chips on these areas, and I am trying to shorten the time of cleaning these areas so often...

Has anyone tried to do this before? is it worth it? Can it be DIY (since its a relatively simple shape (I am thinking it can be just as simple as a rectangular shape)

Thanks for your input.

XPEL Self Healing is awesome.............. but don't ever attach a camera rig to it.

Ask me how I know.

During NSXPO I attached a GoPro to the portion of my NSX's hood that has the XPEL Ultimate film on it, and didn't experience any issues. :confused:

IMG_0081.JPG

Back