• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R Engine Cover Prop Bar Hole Size

Anyone able to help,

I'm looking for the size/dimensions, of the hole/cutout on the NSX-R engine cover where the OEM NSX-R prop bar would sit into, to keep the engine cover up.

Thanks

Anyone able to help,

I'm looking for the size/dimensions, of the hole/cutout on the NSX-R engine cover where the OEM NSX-R prop bar would sit into, to keep the engine cover up.

Thanks

IMG_3751.JPG

If you can wait until this weekend, I will get the measurements for you. I am out of town until Friday. I have all the part numbers for the prop rod in my build thread

IMG_3751.JPG

If you can wait until this weekend, I will get the measurements for you. I am out of town until Friday. I have all the part numbers for the prop rod in my build thread

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I Don't need the part numbers for the prop bar, but thanks for the info.

I just need the dimensions of the hole on the engine cover.

If its not too much trouble, your help would be great.

Thanks

That would be great info.

Chris, can i get all the parts except the prop rod? Probably just make the rod from aluminum like i did for the hoods and oem e-covers.

Thanks
Mike

Mike,

i have the NSX-R little prop-bar kit...i can give you any pics and sizes you need to custom do a set for yourself :wink:

Nuno

Thanks Nuno my friend. From the one picture i have it looks very similar to the oem nsx e-cover (same bends) which is easy to make now. I have about $400 in the bender and about 40hrs time modifying it to make the rods so i might as well use it again :smile:

I believe it is the same size as the one on the front bonnet. To be sure, take the prop rod from the NSX-R and see if it fits there. I'd be surprised if it did not. The tips of Honda rods of this style all look the same size to me.

Probably right but we also need the placement (distance from side/back) so it is in the correct spot.

Mike

Thanks Nuno my friend. From the one picture i have it looks very similar to the oem nsx e-cover (same bends) which is easy to make now. I have about $400 in the bender and about 40hrs time modifying it to make the rods so i might as well use it again :smile:

Probably right but we also need the placement (distance from side/back) so it is in the correct spot.

Mike

The placement should be easier to work out from some of the photos I looked at.

Mike

I didn't think the white plastic piece that inserts into the hole, was the same size as the NSX-R one? If it is then I could work out the hole size from there.

Last edited:
Ok just done a bit of checking, on the OEM engine cover, the white plastic piece that goes into the hole is not the same size as the NSX-R one, doesnt even look the same.

HOWEVER! on the OEM front hood prop bar, the white plastic piece does look like the one used on the NSX-R engine cover, even the hole in the bonnet look the same size.

What you guys think?

some pics

OEM STANDARD NSX ENGINE COVER

P1020948_zpsfb57ad9e.jpg

P1020949_zpsd95dfeae.jpg

P1020950_zps170a34d8.jpg

OEM FRONT HOOD PROP BAR

P1020951_zps768f181a.jpg

P1020952_zps4101bb1a.jpg

P1020954_zps7372dc4b.jpg

P1020955_zpsd36e517a.jpg

P1020956_zpsb7ca0efa.jpg

P1020957_zps798f6451.jpg

Last edited:
From a bit more searching, I have found the same white mounting piece shared on Civic, Accrord, S2000 and I dare say its on other modes too.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find it sold as a separate piece yet on the Honda parts system, unless you guys can find it on the US system?

Good news though, to buy the complete prop bar from those other modes is lol cheaper than the NSX one, so It's possible that one thing could be fabricated up by using oe if those, just cut it size and start bending lol.

From your pictures the R rod end piece looks exactly like the end on the 1991-2005 Hood prop and the 1995-2005 Targa engine cover prop. The piece is not available seperately as it is molded directly onto the rod. I have made them before and still have the molds.

The hardest part to bend is the double 90 degree turns at the bottom mounting end but much easier then the bend on the bottom of the hood prop.

Mike

0297f0de.jpg

Last edited:
From your pictures the R rod end piece looks exactly like the end on the 1991-2005 Hood prop and the 1995-2005 Targa engine prop. The piece is not available seperately as it is molded directly onto the rod. I have made them before and still have the molds.

The hardest part to bend is the double 90 degree turns at the mounting end.

Mike

0297f0de.jpg

Yeah the white end piece is shared with loads of other Honda models too as mentioned above, Accord, Civic, S2000, RSX etc etc, it will also be based on year of car too.

I did notice it was moulded to the bar, so just as a though I mentioned the above as an alternative to buying OEM NSX-R one, as those prop bars mentioned above, could be found in a wrecking yard or ebay for cheap money and possibly modified to work.

When i made them a few years ago i did them separate where they could be epoxied on the rod. Both the rods above are aluminum ones i made on the bender and the the targa cover prop looks to have the same bends at the bottom mounting grommet (hardest to make). We need a better angle picture of the R prop to see if they are the same.

Better picture of ends and bends. Targa engine cover prop, lower right.

40fe0559.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Hi,

tomorrow i will take a photo of the OEM NSX-R one side by side with my Front Hood one and post here, ok?? I think, if my memory isn't failing, that they are EXACTLY the same.

I took those detailed pictures of the NSX-R one and it's part number, and if you guys need anything else, measurements, sizes, pictures of a detail, just ask and i'll gladly do it.

Nuno

Hi,

tomorrow i will take a photo of the OEM NSX-R one side by side with my Front Hood one and post here, ok?? I think, if my memory isn't failing, that they are EXACTLY the same.

I took those detailed pictures of the NSX-R one and it's part number, and if you guys need anything else, measurements, sizes, pictures of a detail, just ask and i'll gladly do it.

Nuno

That would be great Nuno!

The NSX-R one however, is not the exact same as the hood one, the bends are different and it's obviously longer lol

But some good photos of the NSX-R one you have would help allot in deciding if these can be made up easily, or is it worth getting something from a wrecking yard from other Honda models and trying to make something fit.

Even new some of the other honda model prop bars are not that expensive from the dealer, also the Targa prop bar new is not that expensive either.

But At least we now know that the white plastic support piece is the same as other models, and also that mike has the moulds to Make these too. I guess if we got the size, shape/bends etc of the NSX-R one, then were able to get a shop to produce these at a good price, that would be a good way to go.

After that its working out the mounting kit.

Sudesh,
The bender i have will work with up to 5/8" steel so we don't even need a shop.

fyi... The diameter of the OEM rods are 8mm so i would guess this one would be the same.

Mike

Hi,

ok... i think i took every possible measure i could, and photo of the details.

here it goes...

Plastic tip:

safe to say that they ARE the same :wink:

Hardware details:

Metal bracket it's the same as in Coupe Engine cover, but the NSX-R one has nuts welded into it.
This makes 2 solutions available:
1 - weld some nuts on them Coupe one
2 - Use bolt with nut :wink:

The rubber grommet it's the same, so you can find/use your own bracket to use with a NSX-R prop rod.

Aprox. Location to mount it (it would help to know for sure):

Note that there are no holes to mount it, so they must be drilled.
I don't see where to install the white plastic clip to secure the rod, would be good to know too.

One other detail is that it seems that the white plastic tip is 180º of what it's supposed to:
This way when we insert it in the cover, the supporting crack in it will be down, instead of up.

Sizes and measures:

Some details:

You can see that the bends have sharper angles on the NSX-R one and it looks like the white plastic tip
is molded arround the metal end, because there is no way to install/remove it (the metal has that bend inside it).

I think we have here all that is necessary to build a replica kit, don't you think so? :biggrin::biggrin:

Nuno

Last edited:
Awesome Nuno, your the man!! Thanks so much.

Very cool, the R prop has the same lower section of the targa prop so will be very easy for me to make. What is the slot for, the holder?

Only thing needed would be the resin for the mold. The supplier i used years ago is no longer in business. But the parts look the same.

Mike

Nuno that's fantastic info and thanks for taking the time to do this, very informative.

So if we could get the prop bars made and the plastic ends, basically the rest should be quite simple as you can re use the hardware from a standard engine cover and it wouldn't be cheap and easy enough the get any of those other bits.

Back