• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CEL TCS and Codes

I can't wait until I'm familiar enough with my car to start answering questions instead of asking them. I prefer to be helpful rather than needing it :).
I have read several forums on my issue before posting this, and if it was only the CEL blinking Light, I think I could figure it out, but it's the combo of the CEL, the TCS light and the fact that the CEL light shows 1 code 1 time, and 2 other different codes repeatedly after that is confusing me.

So here's the problem....

Bought the car in July, (1991 6MT) and about 2 weeks later, was checking the shocks and noticed that 1 of the 02 sensor wires had melted against the headers.

So I purchased the NTK 02 Sensors from SOS as well as the SOS 02 Sensor Extensions that they usually sell with their header kits, as my car has Taitec Headers and Taitec GT006 lightweight Exhaust, and installed the new sensors and extensions.

The CEL light was still on, so I disconnected the fuse in the fuse box AND disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes to be safe. Started the car and the CEL light came back on. Disconnected the battery overnight, and the CEL light came back on. Tried to read the error codes, but using a paper clip wouldn't cause it to blink.

Since then, the car has had a "sluggish/sputtering" issue in low RPM's, but cleared out in higher RPMS. I searched and read all of the posts about fuel pumps, iginition coils, spark plugs, etc....systems, 02 sensors, etc ,etc, but...

1. I'm about to do a Lovefab Turbo so no need to replace fuel pump now
2. Just replaced 02 Sensors so figured it couldn't be that and
3. I put in new iridium spark plugs 3 months ago, and
4. I read the post about using an OHM meter to test iginition coils, so last week I pulled them, and they all tested around 1-1.1 which the manual said is correct so I figured not them...

Today I decided to try reading error codes again, but paper clip didn't work again, so I stripped a small amount off of each wire and just connected them in front of the blue end connector, and YAY the error codes worked. So I read the error code page on the Wiki, and also used my service manual to try and decode...

Here's what they said...
CEL went
3 times long, 1 time short
4 times long, 2 short
4 long, 1 short
then back to
4 long 2 short
4 long 1 short
Ok, so I understand I'm getting 31, 41 and 42. But why did 31 only flash at first and then 41 and 42 keep repeating.
During this, the TCS is going 2 long, wait, 2 long, wait 2 long, etc, etc.
So I video taped it, any ideas???
Thanks! Here's the video...

<div><object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jKAxfjuib_4?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jKAxfjuib_4?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object></div>

41 & 42 are front and rear O2 sensor heaters. This is usually caused by a short in that circuit. Please inspect the O2s and O2 extensions to see if the terminal pins are intact in the connector, and if they are, remove them and check continuity. I'll e-mail you instructions how to do this.

31 is an A/T code, so you probably were just seeing part of the cycle go through.

TCS code 2 is parking brake sensor, probably unrelated to this.

-- Chris

Back