• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

vBulletin 4.x upgrade

Over the holiday weekend I plan to upgrade the site to vBulletin 4.x. Expect at least half a day of down-time.

My current plan is to do it on Saturday, but that may change. If it changes I'll update this thread.

You rock! Thank you for all of your work on this site and best of luck with the upgrade.

Have fun with that Lud... don't forget your file and db backups :)

Ran a very large forum since 2004 and have to do many major upgrades and it's a thankless job. You go through all of the work and as soon as it's over everybody bitches because everything isn't exactly the same as they left it.

Hi,

thanks for all this work you do for us Lud.

Will the general color scheme be the same?? i like how prime looks now!

Thanks,
Nuno

The upgrade is in and functioning, I'm currently installing plug-ins, then I'll mess with other settings and edit the style to bring back NSX Prime Red!

There are several hours of maintenance that still need to run, like rebuilding the search engine, thread and post info, etc... You may notice some weirdness or some things which don't work until that is all completed. I'll be running that in the background while I work on other stuff.

PhotoPost will probably be down for a day or two. I had to pay a renewal fee to get the 4.x version and it doesn't automatically process the access so I need to wait for someone to manually update my account before I can get the version that will work with this version of the forum software.

The upgrade broke the NSX Wiki; I'll work on that as soon as I get the forum maintenance done.

I like it, the color is cool too. better on your eyes late at night, or sneaking in a thread while the wife is sleeping LOL
now this is a great change. Enthusify not so much LOL

great work Lud.

Also my back button still doesnt work. to go back to the main page you need to click Forum for it to refresh the page, F5 doesnt refresh it either.

can you make the theme/windows red, just like the old site? The blue is throwing me off...

I'm sure the red theme will come

At first I thought I was on some random forum that had stolen Prime's banner haha

EDIT: I didn't see the admin's post. Red will be back, good.

Question to the admin: does the new version affect the tapatalk plug in ?

Last edited:
If I may ...

I was in this thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/168205-So-I-bought-an-R-wing-but

I wanted to quote just a single image so I copied the URL but when I tried to insert the image, it said the file was too big. You might want to check into that before your inbox gets spammed by people who want to post pictures ;-)

Also, the image dialog box was kinda and, in my opinion, not necessary

With that said, thx for keeping the forum up to date !

The upgrade is in and functioning, I'm currently installing plug-ins, then I'll mess with other settings and edit the style to bring back NSX Prime Red!

There are several hours of maintenance that still need to run, like rebuilding the search engine, thread and post info, etc... You may notice some weirdness or some things which don't work until that is all completed. I'll be running that in the background while I work on other stuff.

PhotoPost will probably be down for a day or two. I had to pay a renewal fee to get the 4.x version and it doesn't automatically process the access so I need to wait for someone to manually update my account before I can get the version that will work with this version of the forum software.

The upgrade broke the NSX Wiki; I'll work on that as soon as I get the forum maintenance done.

Thank you for the update and touching on these points.

-Ira

I'd like to propose a new design for the top header image to go along with the new upgrade for the website. :)

Old:
nsxprimeforums.jpg

New:
nsxprimeforums_v2.png

^ New isn't an upgrade. ;) It looks kinda weird with that half circle/oval border.

If I crop everything out except for the car, it doesn't look right just "floating" like the original design. Any other shape seemed odd and if I do a fade, there really isn't enough space to make it overly abrupt.

I'm open to ideas. Did you have an alternate design concept?

^ If you use the same image, delete the BG, and maybe add a strong shadow on the bottom it won't look like it's floating. I think I just prefer a logo that is seamless with the BG color.

As requested:

nsxprimeforums.jpg

nsxprimeforums_v2.png

nsxprimeforums_v3.png

Last edited:
Lud,

i love the new look and it feels a lot faster, like when we use "Mark this forum read".

i just have one recommendation:

In the general forums view, i feel that the Old vs New icons color difference should be more "visible".

Current settings:
View attachment 95299and View attachment 95300

and i suggest:
View attachment 95301and View attachment 95302

It doesn't need to be exactly like i did above, but i wanted to show
that some more contrast between OLD and NEW would be better.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks,
Nuno

Back