• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My J swapped NSX...sorry for the wait. love or hate

I wonder if it would be cheaper to stroke and retrofit a J-series engine with 6-speed manual tranny than stroking an NSX engine and upgrading to a 6 speed. Either case, this looks very promising.

This build is grea! Nothing but love here but can someone help me understand pros/cons between the J vs. C? Obviously one is more modern..

weight?
rev limit?
bore?
stroke?
iVtec vs. vtec?
transmission options?

I know nothing about the J. I barely know anything about the C lol

What part of Oklahoma are you in? Also would love to know more about your J swapped Prelude. Is there a build thread somewhere online?

Last edited:
Wonder if you could do a full J37 powertrain transplant with the factory turbo... now that would be sweet.

I know it's going backwards but what about a K swap? I hear those motors can put out 300hp on just a kpro tune

Wonder if you could do a full J37 powertrain transplant with the factory turbo... now that would be sweet.

What factory turbo are you talking about?

well anyone wanna guess who he contacted to get this car :) out of florida? hehe..

I know it's going backwards but what about a K swap? I hear those motors can put out 300hp on just a kpro tune

I believe STMPO did one, there's a thread on here somewhere.

What factory turbo are you talking about?

The J37 is from the RDX, no? The RDX has a factory turbo these days, I thought...

also the comptech super charger for this engine is only 3500. VS 10-15K for the NSX for some reason...and can put out more.

you guys really need to think about swapping engines

but my idea and OP knows as we talked about this is a 07-08 3.5L TL type-S its Vtec is wayyyy different than the standard 04-06 TL 3.2

The J37 is from the RDX, no? The RDX has a factory turbo these days, I thought...

in 2k13 the RDX switched to a 3.5l V6 and dropped the factory turbo's of previous years.

Last edited:
Well if this works out atleast we have an alternative to the high priced C series motor. Although this will Definitely bring values down on resale. But nonetheless a good alternative

No, the 07 to 12 RDX had a 2.3 4cyl turbo. But a 3.7 Turbo would be pretty cool!

Very cool!
J-Series are great, cheap reliable and easy to mod.

Are you planning for a 3.7 crank swap?

you guys really need to think about swapping engines
For FI yes, it's much cheaper on a J to go 500HP than on a C,
NA tuning is a different story.
J's don't really rev past 7k effectively with out major modifications

Although the dual v-tec is a very cool system and the balance of a '60 setup is much better.

BTW Honda run's 2.8L twin turbo J's at Le Mans and the ALMS with good success and reliability.
just Google, HR28TT

Last edited:
It certainly can with different cam's and porting but in stock configuration it's setup to make torque in a sedan/mpv/suv application.
Type-S cam's add rpm but i recall those only going to 6700 or so.

Cheap J source: (J32 or J35)
MPV's like the oddesy saturn vue or sedans like the accord

add to that the Type-S valve train from a CL-S or TL-S to add rpm

Take a crank and rods & pistons from a J37 RL/Legend which are forged (Optional with J35 KB1 pistons)
OEM they are quite relatively cheap from Acura

Add a J37 TL manifold and Throttle or a K-Series Throttle

With out boring you end up with a potent 3.6L (89mm bore)
If you bore out to 90mm using the J37 piston you end up with a 3.7L

J37 are lighter than the older ones due to aluminum liners.
Later model J35 and J37 have a single port exhaust manifold great for Turbo applications.

AEM makes a stand alone kit for swapers.

Back