• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My J swapped NSX...sorry for the wait. love or hate

Well in theory you'd use the complete ECU and sensor set for the engine and transmission.
This means you'd need a AT engine + accompanying transmission.

This does give you the ability to run a 5AT transmission,

Although you'd need to find a way of integrating the shift linkage and other parts specific to the 5AT.
Paddle shifters would be quite a task though

6AT won't be cost effective.

In theory a 3.6/3.7 "hybrid" engine coupled to a 5AT sounds like a interesting NSX.
Term hybrid would refer to a 3.2 or 3.5 using 3.7 parts to create a 3.6L stroker or a full 3.7 engine.

My thought for using a j series tranny was for an auto. If you can have 300+ hp and a 6 speed auto that brings new life to an auto nsx.

Yes, thats a great idea, and with the new technology the trans can hold 350 torque pretty easy.

is this feasible at all ? to keep an auto nsx auto by using the j-series auto tranny ? how difficult is it to make it work in auto nsx ?

yes it is a possibility. If you want to use the nsx engine, you will need to do custom axels and you will have to build 3 new motor mounts.

Well in theory you'd use the complete ECU and sensor set for the engine and transmission.
This means you'd need a AT engine + accompanying transmission.

This does give you the ability to run a 5AT transmission,

Although you'd need to find a way of integrating the shift linkage and other parts specific to the 5AT.
Paddle shifters would be quite a task though

6AT won't be cost effective.

In theory a 3.6/3.7 "hybrid" engine coupled to a 5AT sounds like a interesting NSX.
Term hybrid would refer to a 3.2 or 3.5 using 3.7 parts to create a 3.6L stroker or a full 3.7 engine.

Yes You would need the ECU, TCU, and do the custom mounts and axels. As long as its a 6speed from the j series motor, you can use a j37 or j35a8 or a few of the others. I dont think the shift linkage would be as much of a problem on the auto.

The paddle shiffters would be cool idea, and probably pretty easy. You might be able to just use the whole steering wheel off the TL with the cable real and all associated hardware.

To use the TL steering wheel you'd need to modify the spline shaft of the steering rack to match that of the TL, which can be done.
Cable real and clock spring does sound as a lengthy task figuring out the wiring for both, although if you'd be able to use the cruise control wiring you'd be done.

Some progress has been made I just have not uploaded pics. The bracket for the intermediate shaft is nearly complete. Once the finale bracket is done I need to rebuild the trans and the whole setup will go back into the car for finale asseblie then wiring. Its getting close. I will upload the pics later this week.

Here is an update. I tried last weekend but got too busy. I started the intermediate shaft braket, mocked them up in cardboard, them had them cut on a plasma table I nearly have them complete, once they are complete I will be tearing the trans down.

Nice work. With that new plate on the block, if you turn the intermediate shaft bolt to the block also, how far off is it? It kind of looks like you could just drill the holes for the shaft in the new plate that is bolted to the block.

Needing an update on this!

Also, with the convo regarding piston speeds earlier...I'm willing to bet the HPD guys destroked the J to a 2.8 to increase rpm capability, although for this season they are using the same engine in a 3.5L configuration, which I bet helps the turbos spool better. Just thinking out loud.

Sorry for the late update.... Not much to update now, Im still working on it, but have been traveling quite a bit. The build should continue and major progress should be made in the next month or so. I forcast a running car mid November.

Back