• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 nsx build thread , the road to sema 2013.

Kri79 91 nsx build

pending

Attachments

• IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_2373.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2375.jpg
    IMG_2375.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_2405.jpg
    IMG_2405.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
eb284b66409811e28ac522000a9f141e_7.jpg

------- update

some more parts came in
7f4381e23ff111e2a77722000a1fbc49_7.jpg

thank you 1fastx!

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpg
    IMG_2406.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,001
Last edited:
package from sos came in, new mats, over flow tank cover, fuse box cover and a uni filter.
IMG_2568.jpg

my interior and stereo is done! thank you from Simplicity in Sound they do amazing work! i was expecting just some updated stuff and a decent sounding stereo but man this thing is clear sounding.

Hi guys,

Its not often we get to work on a car that neither of us have touched before, and its even cooler that we got to be involved with a project on the ground floor. As soon, this car is going to be transformed into a fully blown wide body show car project! :)

I also want to point that this was Joey's first full project at Simplicity In Sound, with virtually no assistance from me beyond telling him to hurry up!!! hahah :D jk. After you see the pics, i hope you will join me in congratulating on a job truly well done.

Since this is Joey's first time taking pics for a full build logs, there will be a few sections a bit light on detail, but i am sure that will come in time. :)

anyway, lets get started.

The car is owned by Kris from 5 fifteenautobody in burlingame, CA, a high end body shop that does a lot of show cars...he purchased this vehicle not too long ago with the specific intention of building it into a show vehicle. For the audio portion, he gave us these goals:

1. custom install double din radio into the stock location

2. replace the blown stock system with something better (lofty goals i know ;))

3. keep everything in the cabin, nothing too flashy or showy, but clean and flowing with the car's original interior theme.

in other words, quite different what i used to do by myself :) but one key thing about this build is that on initial inspection, it doesnt seem like much, but once you dive deeper into the build, you will realize just how much work, detail and effort went into it. :eek:

so..lets get started.

first, two quick shots of the car. this will be the last time this car looks like this, as very soon, its going to get taken apart to do the wide body kit. Air Rex sponsored the project and supplied the car with one of their integrated kits, and here is the car on full up and full down:

nsx1.JPG

nsx2.JPG

First, a shot of the fused holder that we used in the front "trunk"

nsx3.JPG

for those of you who is not familiar. this is what an OEM 92 NSX's dash looks like:

nsx3A.JPG

and here is what our completed product looks like. Kris supplied us with a Clarion NX500 double din headunit, and also a JDM screen pod from Science of Speed, everything is done again in OEM finish:

nsx4.JPG

quick shots of the NX500, the two together and the JDM pod:

nsx5.JPG

nsx6.JPG

nsx7.JPG

nsx8.JPG

Here i want to emphasize something i am supremely impressed with, and that is the FIT AND FINISH around the headunit. and i will just let the pictures do the talking:

nsx9.JPG

nsx10.JPG

nsx11.JPG

nsx12.JPG

behind this seemingly OEM lookg is a uh...trail of tears actually lol.

so here are some build pics of this process.

first, the trim panel was removed from the dash, whcih then looked like this:

nsx13.JPG

perhaps the most difficult part was pealing off the bubbling metal finish from the plastic, the car was showing its 20 plus years and the entire thing was about as brittle as a cracker, so Joey had to reinforce it at several locations using trips of ABS:

nsx14.JPG

nsx15.JPG

then the clarion headunit was bolted in place:

nsx16.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

there is an aftermarket bracket they sell for this purpose, but from the pictures, it looks like it only supports the unit from the top, so Joey designed his own system that secures the unit from both top and bottom:

nsx17.JPG

and a quick shot of the unit bolted up:

nsx18.JPG

a quick test fit reveales just how much filling and sanding he will need to do:

nsx16.JPG

next the area was tapped up and body filler applied to smooth out the panel:

nsx19.JPG

then we found an ABS trim ring that fit the clarion almost perfectly and grafted into the dash opening:

nsx20.JPG

nsx21.JPG

nsx22.JPG

after much sanding, filler and resanding, the piece was finished and shot with hi build primer, we also scraped the oem metallic finish from the ashtray door, ground it down, and shot that in primer. without doing this step, the top of the door will bind a lil bit on the bottom of the headunit when it opens, again, ATTENTION TO DETAIL :)

nsx23.JPG

nsx23A.JPG

next the JDM dash pod was installed, whcih we dont have a lot of pictures of, but if you are curious what it is:

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/interior_performance_products/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/display_pod/

we just got two quick pics of the dash before drilling and the back of the screen, hehe:

nsx24.JPG

nsx25.JPG

next, the wiring harnesses were prepped and all the cables done behind the dash cavity neatly and cleanly, and the headunit bolted in place:

nsx26.JPG

nsx27.JPG

nsx28.JPG

nsx29.JPG

Joey then extend the clarion's USB cable, make a cutout and flush mounted to the front side of the armrest cubby, with a small metal bracket to hold it in place, a 21 century looking design for a 20 year old car :)

nsx30.JPG

nsx31.JPG

nsx32.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

For the front stage we went with a set of Morel's redesigned Hybrid Integra 6 6.5" two way point source driver, we dont have a lot of pics here, but basically, the entire door was sound proofed with STP foam, and Joey fabricated a spacer/adapter that allowed a 6.5" speaker to fit in the same manner as the original bose enclosure, the baffle was sealed with truck bedliner to protect them against the elements, and the morel bolted up. I am sure you can get the idea from these three pictures :)

nsx35.JPG

For the sub, we wanted to get a fair amount of bass into the cabin and the natural choice is to utilize the space in the passenger side foot well that previously housed a useless 4" driver. This also allows for a totally hidden set up for daily driving. here is the normal view with the stock floor mat in place:

nsx36.JPG

and pull back the mat and here is what you see, a single morel Primo 10" subwoofer in a .7 cubfeet sealed enclosure staring back at you. we customized a Morel Ultimo 10" grille for the sub:

- - - Updated - - -

nsx37.JPG

nsx38.JPG

here are the build pics for the enclosure, first the entire area was taped off:

nsx39.JPG

then the floor mold was done with quite a few layers of mat:

- - - Updated - - -

the bottom portion that will house the arc audio logo plate (removed from the amp itself) was then shot with hi build primer to get it ready for paint:

the pieces to be repainted was then given to Kris for him to paint with near OEM semi gloss black. here i only have a picture from Kris' instagram lol:

meanwhile, joey smoothed out the shape of the trim panel with a lot of filler and sanding, and when the painted piece got back, he secured the arc audio logo plate and test fitted the entire thing:

then, the main panel was wrapped in oem matching vinyl, and once again test fitted:

the grille itself is a press fit piece, so the front panel was also wrapped in vinyl, bonded to the painted back piece, and the mesh attached, and now the entire panel is complete:

a close up shot of the detail:

so thats it... i have to say i am truly in awe of what Joey has accomplished...and for a while every morning before starting on my own project, i would hold the pieces he made and just stare at them lol

but what is REALLY cool is how great this car sounds. and i dont mean "oh it sounds good for a crappy sports car interior and simple build" i mean this could be one of the best sounding pure passive systems i have ever built. with a 10" sub anchored upfront and the new morel integras being so natural and smooth, i barely had to do ANYTHING to the eq, the only thing did was turn trebel down 1 notch on the headunit and thats it. xover point is around 100hz, and really it just rocked, a ton of output, clean, smooth and i mean really, way beyond my own expectations on what this car can sound like...

so thats it...i hope you guys like it, and i want to emphasize once again that 100 percent of the project goes to Joey...

bravo!
nsx86.JPG

a close up shot of the detail:

nsx88.JPG

Last edited:
That's a very clean stereo install!
Im lookng out for this local build.

Looks great.

Any details/price on the suspension setup?

Looks great.

Any details/price on the suspension setup?

im on the first Air rex Race air suspension with adjustable rebound, and custom spring rate and valved for 12kg and 14kg.

http://www.airrexsuspension.com/AirRex-Engineering.aspx

i had oem na2 type r suspension before, and was surprised how stiff and stable this new set up feels compared to the type r. I will be testing these out at the track soon when the car is fully built. so check up for videos and a review.

- - - Updated - - -

dont forget to check out https://www.facebook.com/PrideExhaust?fref=ts also Marks company is a sponsor of this build also, and is a member on this forum!!!

That's a very nice and clean build. I worked in car audio for a few years and have done some high end installs in competition and manufacturer sponsored vehicles and I must say the attention to detail on this build is top notch!

Back