• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

EPS in a manual 92

Before purchasing an NSX I was already thinking about how I could put EPS (Electronic Power Steering) in the car since I know how much it helps with the S2000, and after driving a 91 NSX without power steering, it seemed like something I'd be interested in. After a short search, I discovered that the EPS unit costs around $6000 from the dealer, so I quickly decided I could live without it.

When I purchased my NSX, I first had it inspected at Science of Speed to learn everything I could about it, including why it was a prior salvage.

Wade looked it over and discovered that the car had, in fact, been in a front end collision, and that the front clip had been replaced with one from an automatic. As part of the front clip, it came with the EPS unit installed.

So, since the most expensive part was included with my car at no extra charge, I am looking at the possibilities of making it work as it should. Now, Wade told me this might be a challenge since the EPS computer(s) like to be able to chit-chat with the ECU, and that since my car doesn't have an ECU that talks EPS, I may run into a roadblock there.

Here's what I'm thinking...I'm going to need the EPS computer(s) and wiring, but since my computer doesn't do EPS, and (from what I've read) all 95's do, I could possibly use a computer from a 95 to operate the EPS and still take care of the engine, too.

The question is...are there any differences in the plugs or wiring pinouts that would prevent a computer from a 95 from working in a 92?

Any help on this would be great. Thanks guys!

There are manual cars (at least Honda's) with power steering and mechanical throttle.
Later cars use DBW electronic throttle control.

Swapping in that ECU will give you issues.
Also later ECU's post '96 are OBD-II and work on different sensors.

I should check how much a early power steering manual ECU costs i expect that to run $800-1100 new.
Mail me and i can send you some more info on the subject, don't want to bore people to death on the subject lol.

Last edited:
There are manual cars (at least Honda's) with power steering and mechanical throttle.
Later cars use DBW electronic throttle control.

Swapping in that ECU will give you issues.
Also later ECU's post '96 are OBD-II and work on different sensors.

I should check how much a early power steering manual ECU costs i expect that to run $800-1100 new.
Mail me and i can send you some more info on the subject, don't want to bore people to death on the subject lol.

I'm trying to figure out how any of this relates to anything I said in my OP.

I was asking about a 95 ECU (OBDI) going into a 92, and the ONLY reason I'm asking is because S0S's AEM EMS2 kit runs from 91-94, and I'm curious as to why that is.

Is that what you didn't want to bore people with in this thread, or was it something else? If it's about the information I'm after, please post it in here so it's searchable on the forum.

Thanks!

EDIT: I just re-read what you were saying, and what I think I understand you saying is that there are cars with manual transmission and power steering that came along before the DBW cars....and if that's the case, that is what I'm referring to. As for the 96+ cars, they need not apply here because I know that those computers won't work with my car because, yes, they're OBDII.

Here's my point...91-94 manual transmission cars came without power steering, but by 95, all NSX's (from what I understand) came with EPS with the exception of some special models such as the Zanardi cars, Type S Zero's and Type R's.

And that is precisely the reason I'm after a 95 ECU.

I hope that clears things up a bit more. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough from the start.

Last edited:
Sorry for not being clear,
Anyway Honda's where available with power steering and manual transmissions from 1993 in Europe, I'd need to check in my Japanese documentation to see there starting date for JDM models

You need a,
OBD-1 ECU with power steering with out DBW

Interestingly it doesn't mention of the ECU in Honda documentation only of a Pulse unit

EPST.png
EPS.png

Last edited:
Hi,

my NSX meets all OP requirements....so if any Honda Part Numbers are needed, i can try to check them.

Nuno

I have the PN's here, for the ECU and the modules.
But i am assuming he is looking for everything used.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi,

my NSX meets all OP requirements....so if any Honda Part Numbers are needed, i can try to check them.

Nuno
What year was yours built?

EPS guys, are you right or left hand drive?

US-market NSXes have OBD II starting with the 1995 model year.

Fully functional? I know some auto makers tried to jump the gun a bit and add some[/ I] OBDII components early (such was the case with my friends 95 240SX), but it didn't actually function correctly.

Fully functional? I know some auto makers tried to jump the gun a bit and add some[/ I] OBDII components early (such was the case with my friends 95 240SX), but it didn't actually function correctly.

Acura presented the 1995 NSX as including OBD II and
it's acknowledged as such here in the Prime wiki.
I've owned a 1995 NSX for nine years now and have never
heard anything to suggest it's not a true OBD II car.

BBVNSX, part numbers from yours would be very helpful.

Will EPS Control Unit, PN 39980-SL0-043 work with any of them, or is there some differences in that part number throughout the years?

I've got an ecu that may be what your looking for.
Mines out of a manual 94 nsx with eps(australia and japanese nsx's came out with eps in 1993).
I recently changed my ecu to aem after supercharging my car.
If your interested PM me.

You also need 39985-SL0-951 as well (pulse unit)

Hi Anan, I am helping a friend retrofit eps to his manual 1993 JDM nsx. The steering feels extra light. i suspect that we didnt wire the speedsensor to bypass eps at speeds above 18mph. From the diagram it seems that all manual has pulse unit whereas auto doesnt have it. can you help me with the wiring from the speedsensor to bypass eps at high speed? At the moment the eps works all the time resulting in extra light steering feel at high speed. TIA

Back