• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX 'clunk' in rear

Had a loudish clunk in the rear of my 1998 and after reading many threads, determined it was shocks. Bought a like new pair of Bilsteins from fellow Prime member, took the car to Acura for installation.

NSX tech says, "Nope, not the shocks" and proceeds to replace two worn lower bushings and re-lube everything. Clunk is GONE! Listed Bilsteins here if you're interested http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/classifieds.php?mshow=listing&id=bilstein-rear-shocks-for-nsx-5160&p[mshow]=listing&p[id]=bilstein-rear-shocks-for-nsx-5160

Entire bill was $146.50. Zero noise issues. Car is as much of a joy as ever. I love it when things work out.

Just worth it to rule out less expensive things first ​before going head first int a non issue.

Could you post the part numbers of those bushings?

Did your clunk sound like the clunk in this video at 0:44, 1:25, or 2:28? I just bought some new rear sway bar drop links but maybe I should have bought some bushings instead!

Last edited:
Could you post the part numbers of those bushings?

Did your clunk sound like the clunk in this video at 0:44, 1:25, or 2:28? I just bought some new rear sway bar drop links but maybe I should have bought some bushings instead!

Yours sounded harder, metal on metal than mine Mine was a little more damped and dull, yours more metallic. But then again, I was hearing mine in a parking lot and you were going 186! I didn't get part numbers, just description on receipt.

Does your receipt maybe describe which lower bushings were replaced? Looking at the parts catalog, I don't see what that could refer to but I'd love to replace mine as well or at least know which bushings I should be inspecting really closely.

Does your receipt maybe describe which lower bushings were replaced? Looking at the parts catalog, I don't see what that could refer to but I'd love to replace mine as well or at least know which bushings I should be inspecting really closely.

I would think your tech (or you if your far more gifted than I'll ever be) could identify, but my receipt says, and this is the full quote:

"Customer states rear shock noise. Check and advise. Customer supplied part. Determined left lower control arm bushings dry and noisy, partially loosened. Removed, replaced, lubed, and retorqued. Performed lube and retorque right side. Full confirmation noise is gone."

That's all I have. Best wishes, hope this helps.

Just to follow up, replacing my rear sway bar drop links got rid of the clunking/knocking noise I was experiencing from the right rear of the car every once in a while.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I'm sure this information will be useful to some in the future.

You are correct, sir. I just found this series of posts from 2013 and I am going to go look at my rear end today.

Yeah, that DOES read funny but I am leaving that in there.

Back