• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Firearms Thread

That brace is pretty silly. I'm really surprised the ATF ok'd that thing. Yeah you can shoulder the buffer tube but it slips pretty easy and is kind of pointy. I've had my nose bit by the charging handle multiple times. If we ever get SBRs legalized here that'll be the first thing I do. It has an 8.5" barrel and weighs nothing compared to any of the rifles.

IMG_2078ds_zpsa2834545.jpg

Looks like the ATF is looking to get rid of the NFA Trust "loophole", which makes sense because so many crimes are committed with NFA items.

Yeah sourceless speculation helps no one

Last edited:
The way I understand it, the proposed change is to require one or more of the persons named in the trust to undergo a background check and/or get fingerprinted. What they are not trying to do (yet) is eliminate the trust option completely, or to require a Police Chief signature before a trust can acquire an NFA item.

Your telling me that the BATF with all there resources didn't AREADY do a background check on me when I set my trust up.

- - - Updated - - -

Your telling me that the BATF with all there resources didn't AREADY do a background check on me when I set my trust up.

I already have a trust which I put my business in, can it be used to buy a suppressor?

Doc, even if you could, I wouldn't. I believe they are two difference creatures, NFA trusts vs others. I've heard stories where the BATF denied those off the shelf "quicken" trusts because there is certain verbiage they lack. I know what you were thinking, great got one already just buy the title 2 item then wait for the BATF to take there DAM sweet time for approval. IMHO you should get a NFA trust. I've also been told not to co-mingle non title 2 items under your trust as well.

Valuation check:

Colt MK III Lawman 357 revolver, 2" barrel, Colt blue

There is currently one on Gunbroker.com. So far it has 14 bids and is currently at $888. Bidding ends in about 12 hours so check the auction after it closes.

- - - Updated - - -

I already have a trust which I put my business in, can it be used to buy a suppressor?

Buddy, Delray Shooting Center has the NFA trust documents in store and will set you up for free. Call me to learn more. If you want, I could send you a copy of mine so you can see how it is worded. What silencer are looking at? I have a couple and can give you a recommendation.

Again this is hearsay, but my understanding is that NFA trusts need to have specific language in them regarding what happens to the controlled items possessed by the trust in the event that the primary person controlling the trust passes on. Where normal property can be inherited by anyone, NFA items are subject to restrictions- if the trust language can cause a five year old to inherit a machine gun in the event of your death, the ATF has a problem with it.

All I know for certain is that there is specific wording that needs to be in the trust documents. Besides, to have a legal entity connected to your business that owns firearms or related items may give you problems with insurance or finance. More and more banks and other companies are refusing to do business with gun stores/small producers.

Last edited:
S&W M&P Shield Safety Alert

Do you own a S&W Shield handgun? Read this immediately:

http://www.guns.com/2013/08/22/breaking-safety-alert-for-all-smith-wesson-shield-pistols-video/

mampp-shield-recall.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

MAJOR NEWS: ATF to Allow eForm 1s and 4s – Not Likely to Enact Regulations on Trusts and Other Entities

Not only are the rumors that the ATF will be disallowing trusts false, they are 180% false. The ATF announced that it will be accepting electronic Form 1, 4 and 5 applications for entities that do not require Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) signatures, fingerprint cards, and photographs. I.E.: Trusts! Here is the source.

atfonline.jpg

atfonline-register.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Hugh.^^^^^^^^^^ Fortunately mine passes the video test. I bought mine a few months back so it's one of the newer models.

I have a question for you guys. During my handgun safety training course, I was shooting mostly the Glock 22 Full Size .40 S&W, and the Glock 19 Compact in 9mm. I also shot a S&W 586 4" Barrel Revolver in .357 Magnum. I really liked the Full size Glock 22 in .40 Cal, and felt it had no significant perceived recoil vs the Compact G19 9mm. Even for my small 5'4" size, I felt very comfortable holding the full sized G22. I didn't care for the Revolver much. Recoil was fine, but I didn't like the skinny (At least too me) grips.

All that said, I'm looking at getting my first Handgun. Hawaii doesn't allow CCW, so I'm not looking for a Subcompact. I've held other full sized handguns like the 1911 and it felt good, so I'm not too worried about size and weight since this will not be a carry firearm and will be used mostly as a range/target pistol and worse case Home Defense. Choosing a handgun is like choosing rims. I've narrowed it down to possibly the H&K UPS Full Size and maybe the Compact version, the Sig P226, or P250, or the CZ75. All in 9mm. Too me, these handguns are all pretty similar as I like them all. No one feature really sways me one way or the other. On paper I think I would be happy with any of them. So that's where those of you with more experience than I have hopefully can shed some light and share your experiences with these Handguns, or if there are others that match up well against those that I mentioned and have yet to discover. I'm not too worried about price, as $700-$1500 seems reasonably compared to the money I waste on car parts. I know shooting one is really the best way to decide, but until I start meeting more people at the range an have more opportunities to try out other peoples guns who are willing to share, I'll just have to internet research for now. Thanks guys.

I've narrowed it down to possibly the H&K UPS Full Size and maybe the Compact version, the Sig P226, or P250, or the CZ75.

You can't go wrong with either of the ones you've mentioned. However, I wonder if you've considered the HK45 or HK45C. I've found them to be a bit easier to handle, better shooting (in my hands at least), and more fun to shoot.

But as you've said, shooting each will be the primary decision variable. Good luck!

I don't have too much experience with any of the options you listed, being a stubborn 1911 and revolver guy, so what follows is purely my opinion.

The Sig pistols I've fired have had a weird resonance with every shot, as though the frame was a a tuning fork. Not many people can feel this even with the exact same guns that did it for me, and it seems to have no negative effects on reliability, so if you have no idea what I'm talking about, then don't worry about it.

Both the Sig and the HK have a double/single decocker style trigger. Again, this is opinion, but I hate these things with a passion. I feel the trigger pull should be the same every time- consistency is the heart of accuracy, both in the mechanics of the weapon and in the technique of the operator. It is certainly possible to fire accurate shots with either double or single action, but the transition serves no purpose in my mind. If you don't mind this, then both are very well made and would be good choices for someone not so stubborn as me.

Personally, I would go for the CZ out of those three. It has a consistent trigger, steel construction (some things just feel better in steel), and it's not very common while still being reliable enough where not having a box of spare parts at every gun store doesn't matter. Steel frame and slide feels like it has better balance to me, where polymer guns seem to be top heavy.

You can get 9mm 1911s, though they may have to be special order. Best trigger in the business if made by a good company. Most options for customizing by far, and unless you have big hands, you may find the grip more comfortable.

Back