• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Firearms Thread

Speaking of AR-10's... I shot my buddies new Lewis Machine AR-10 this weekend, that thing with the surefire break on it was rather magical.

Tooooo much crap that I want to buy.

I'm sure there are plenty of people reading all this and shaking thier heads...but I get it....i have had the oportunity to run some rounds through a ruger mini 14 in stainless years ago...and it is a hell of alot of fun.

Those of you that have built your AR15s, how hard was it? Did you feel more satisfied versus purchasing one? Is it more cost effective? I always wanted to build my own, but kept putting it off.

I'm sure there are plenty of people reading all this and shaking thier heads...but I get it....i have had the oportunity to run some rounds through a ruger mini 14 in stainless years ago...and it is a hell of alot of fun.

I wish that wasn't the case but I recognize that there is a stigma that all shooting enthusiasts are child killers. I make it a point to send a friendly invite to any that I know who are skiddish or against firearms to come to the range. You would be surprised what a little exposure can do to change an opinion. I grew up in Upstate NY to ultra-liberal parents, (liberal to the point where my dad was a labor union president) so I was once appalled by the gun culture, especially when I moved to the Carolinas (even more so once the 1994 AWB expired). But fortunately I was able to see the other side and formulate a better opinion.

We actually had our 4th annual ITR meet in SC that is based around a range day this past weekend. Folks from all over come every year, this year we had states such as NY, CA, MA, KS, MD, PA and all of the close ones represented. Generally only a few are hardcore gun nuts and the rest are there for the experience and education. It's an awesome experience to get people out there and instructing on the proper and safe use of firearms, especially in this political climate.

Those of you that have built your AR15s, how hard was it? Did you feel more satisfied versus purchasing one? Is it more cost effective? I always wanted to build my own, but kept putting it off.

It's not hard at all if you can find the parts. There are How to threads all over the internet. It's a lot cheeper to build especially with the way people are marking everything up.

I came to the conclusion long ago that I would not be liked by 50% of whichever people group...just for the simple fact that I enjoyed shooting firearms or CCW. I'm ok with that. Someday swords will be turned into plowshares. Until that day, I'll chose to be responsible for myself.

I find myself agreeing with much of this gentlemen's mindset.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1vtDQ3gwWOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Colion Noir should be the voice of gun rights or at least be elevated a little higher than his YouTube channel. He completely breaks the southern/white/paranoid perception that people have of pro-2a folks. I would much rather have him speak on my behalf than Nugent, Lapierre, Yeager, Jones, etc.

I find myself agreeing with much of this gentlemen's mindset.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1vtDQ3gwWOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Werd. +1

In the end he asks why I carry. I carry because a gun is a tool. A tool just like anything else. When I need to open a bottle, I use a bottle opener. When I need to cut a tomato I use a knife. When I need to change my tires I use a lug wrench. When I need to protect myself, I carry a gun. Any and all of these items can be used as a weapon and can be used to kill someone. The one factor that prevents it from being a weapon is me. I decide what is a weapon and what isn't. To me a gun is no more a weapon then using a knife in the kitchen. It's a tool and nothing more.

I don't glorify owning a gun or gun ownership any more than the socket set I have in garage. When I leave the house I grab my gun and sunglasses in the same light; one I use to protect my eyes from the harm of the sun the other I use to protect my body from the harm of evil people.

Hate to derail into the political side. Would much rather talk about the crap we're buying, have a little online enablers thread.

Put an order in for a LaRue last weekend, hopefully I'll see it in my lifetime. Given what they're worth, I don't even know if I could shoot it without feeling guilty.

predatar556profile.jpg

Hahahaha...congrats! Hopefully, your great-grandchildren will be able to shoot it when your grandchildren actually receive it. :)

Maybe my great-grandchildren can shoot with yours when they get my Noveske AR10.

Hahahaha...congrats! Hopefully, your great-grandchildren will be able to shoot it when your grandchildren actually receive it. :)

Maybe my great-grandchildren can shoot with yours when they get my Noveske AR10.

LOL!!

I guess LaRue is actually prematurely shipping the lowers, charging you for 2/3'rds of the cost then finishing the rifle later in the event that legislation goes. That was the selling point for me. But even with that, last I knew they only had lowers shipped out from August orders or something. Not really sure the holdup on that one.

Hey, have you heard of "Fireclean?" Supposed to be great for ARs. Think I may try it but all of my stuff is already conditioned with Froglube.

No, but I wouldn't mind trying it. Hops #9 is killing brain cells.

Colion Noir should be the voice of gun rights or at least be elevated a little higher than his YouTube channel. He completely breaks the southern/white/paranoid perception that people have of pro-2a folks. I would much rather have him speak on my behalf than Nugent, Lapierre, Yeager, Jones, etc.

Absolutely these guys sound and look like a bunch of old crying geezers, people just tune them out. This guy has his stuff together. I would love to see him get picked up for a spokes person.

so it was lame starting a thread w/o any pics of a few mine. I hope to rectify that w/ these:

My first handgun purchase: Beretta 92FS Stainless 9MM w/ Crimson Trace grips, all stainless ancillaries and various Wolff springs.
86c2f08b-66ca-482e-b89d-0d8e881a0619.jpg

My latest: M&P VTAC 9MM w/ Trijicon sights, Apex trigger, KKM barrel, and Surefire X300.
2013-02-28222215.jpg

My absolute favorite: HK45 with Streamlight TLR2.
2013-02-28221813.jpg

Last edited:
In other news: little dilemma. HK MR556 or the Noveske AR10?

Mannnnnnnnn, that's not an easy one at all. Do you have another .308? My big stink about getting a .308/7.62 is now that's just one more caliber that I now have to stock. They're definitely fun to shoot but the MR556 is a hell of a choice. Are you getting it close to pre-hysteria pricing?

My first one...

Nice! Glock's have a great trigger reset. Though I've never fired a compact .45 outside of my hk45c (it manages recoil really well), I'll be interested in what you think of it. Post up a range report when you've shot it!

Mannnnnnnnn, that's not an easy one at all. Do you have another .308? My big stink about getting a .308/7.62 is now that's just one more caliber that I now have to stock. They're definitely fun to shoot but the MR556 is a hell of a choice. Are you getting it close to pre-hysteria pricing?

I know I know I know. Well, I was planning to use the 7.62 to hunt with it, the ammo (well, before the panisteria) is fairly inexpensive, and 7.62 doesn't feel like a mule kicking me. I used to use 300 win mag but it's too much round to be fun.

And then the hk mr556 (at pre-panisteria prices) option came around...bah. Choices, choices, choices.

If you've never tried a piston driven AR, it's amazing how much difference there is when you go to clean it. After four years active duty I got incredibly sick of chipping and scraping carbon off bolts and bolt carriers after as little as 40 rds, so I build an AR with an Adams Arms piston kit. Put over 400 rds through before I went to qualify with it (police patrol rifle) for testing, and when I went to clean it, I just wiped my bare finger across the face of the bolt and it took all the carbon off.

Best would be a piston AR-10. Unfortunately, only a few companies make them. Patriot Ordinance Factory, LWRC, Primary Weapons Systems (got one a few months ago and it's great but expensive).

Right now, just a plain-jane Glock 23. I chose the weapon after running a few hundred rounds through a friend of mine's G23 duty weapon. I'm real happy with it thus far. I applied for my CCW permit in October, and received my card in February, ever since then I have been spending my spare money on lessons with a local instructor from Frontsight, learning and practicing. I've put in hours of dry fire practice as well as live fire exercises at the range. I'm pretty psyched to have the opportunity to learn from a group of Green Beret's next month as part of a 4 day training course I'm signed up for (one day is exclusive to firearms).

I was going to build an AR, but with all the hype parts are not as easy to come by as they once were. I'm not ruling it out for the future, but for now I've decided on a left handed Remington 700 in .308 win. My intention is to build a long range gun for target shooting out at my parent's ranch. There are some very cool chassis available for the Remington 700, ultimately I hope to be modding it as my proficiency increases.

LOL at this. Ya'll should enjoy these now. In years to come these will likely increase 10X in value. Ungrateful grandkids will list them for sale.:frown:

If you've never tried a piston driven AR, it's amazing how much difference there is when you go to clean it. After four years active duty I got incredibly sick of chipping and scraping carbon off bolts and bolt carriers after as little as 40 rds, so I build an AR with an Adams Arms piston kit. Put over 400 rds through before I went to qualify with it (police patrol rifle) for testing, and when I went to clean it, I just wiped my bare finger across the face of the bolt and it took all the carbon off.

Best would be a piston AR-10. Unfortunately, only a few companies make them. Patriot Ordinance Factory, LWRC, Primary Weapons Systems (got one a few months ago and it's great but expensive).

Funny that you mention this, I picked up a PSA lower this week and have been considering pairing it with a piston upper. I've heard great things about the Adams but have also been looking at the LMT.

Back