• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Firearms Thread

I was down there a few weeks ago... Shelves were bare except for 12 ga, 20 ga, 30 - 06, 7mm... And to boot they literally had a now serving numner system in the gun section just like at the deli counter at the grocery store!

Well that sucks. My friend sourced some Pre Obama markup prices on some 223 and 40 so I got everything he had Im G2G now:smile:

There are a lot of knock offs that work just as good when you put quality batteries in them. Check around the shooters forums you will see what Im talking about.

Here is my favorite boomstick: Knight's SR-25 ECC

P1020288_zps45bff28d.jpg

If I decide to pick up an NSX I may be forced to part ways with it.

Favorite handgun:

sig1.jpg

Anybody have any thoughts / experience with the Springfield XDS 45 or 9mm? Client of mine who recently opened a gun store says it is his favorite conceal / carry pistol. Says extremely thin, and single stack, and limited recoil.

Anybody have any thoughts / experience with the Springfield XDS 45 or 9mm? Client of mine who recently opened a gun store says it is his favorite conceal / carry pistol. Says extremely thin, and single stack, and limited recoil.

From what I read online it seems like guys like these better than glocks for ergonomics... Ive never got to shoot an XD yet. Hopefully one day.

I have the XD9 subcompact as a carry. It goes everywhere with me. Egronomics is great although you will need to spend $10.00 on a Pierce mag extension for your pinkie finger. It's not a single stack but I still like it.

A friend has the single stack 45 XD he loves it. They shoot very nice. I still prefer my Glock 27 .40 over it because the single stack 45 dose not hold many rounds. You would be amazed how nice the Glock shoots after you polish the ramp and work the trigger. Something to think about. But the XD feels very comfortable in your hand and recoils straight back so your follow up shot is easy to keep on target. It's a nice carry weapon. I just wish it held more rounds.

From what I read online it seems like guys like these better than glocks for ergonomics... Ive never got to shoot an XD yet. Hopefully one day.

You will either like one or the other. I prefer Glocks, some of my shooter buddies prefer the Springfields. I wrote about it in a thread a long time ago but basically I've boiled it down to the angle of the grip. Some people prefer more of an angle like they are pushing their front knuckles forward. That would be a Glock. Other people prefer more of a straight up and down feel of the Springfields, which is similar in angle to a 1911 (go figure :smile:). So if you like the feel of a 1911, you will probably prefer the XD. All this can be summed up in this picture:

GunAngle.jpg

Also, some people like the redundant back grip safety of the XD. Personally I hate it. But again, it's a preference thing.

Last edited:
To slightly hijack this thread but how's about your tactical flashlights too. I'm almost pulling the trigger on one of these and their way more than I need but man they are way cool. I've heard lots of good about Fenix from all my cop friends.
http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-rc40.html

http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-tk75.html

I MEDC (mostly every day carry) a Fenix PD31 and it's been great. The guys I used to train with swear by them and became distributors. My local shop just started carrying them as well.

I have way too many flashlights that can be justified, but the one I end up carrying and/or using about 90% of the time is my SureFire T1A.

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/t1a-titan.html

T1A_hand_xlarge2_25032.png

I love this thing. It's so versatile and well performing for its diminutive size. It sure as hell isn't worth the ridiculously expensive price and I can't understand why SureFire flashlights are so expensive, but it really is just an overall great flashlight and one I plan on keeping and using for a very long time.

FWIW, I have gone through about 8 pocket sized flashlights in the same span of this SureFire which still works like a champ today. The only other flashlight that has lasted along side it was my maglite, but it was the old bulb style light and is mostly worthless for me as a flashlight now (still works though!).

Last edited:
Also When comparing the SS 45 XD and the G27. The XD grip is more narrow, so you can wrap your fingers around it a lil more. For a small compact you can really get a good grip on it. With the 27 I use a mag extension that adds an extra round and allows you to get your entire hand on the gun. Your best bet is to try both then see what one you like. I sold my Kahr PM40 because I did not like the long trigger pull. Something I didn't realize until after I shot it.

Last edited:
Quick opinion question: For a balance of hunting (havalinas up to deer), sport/fun shooting, and home defense, would you recommend 223/5.56 (AR-15) or .308/7.62 (AR-10)?

Are you loading your own ammunition and at what range? The safe bet is 7.62 imho.

Your question is why I have a AR-10 on order.

I will most likely not be loading my own rounds. Since this will be an "everything gun" hard to nail down the range, so let's just say 300 yrds for right now.

That's 2 for 2 now who have recommend .308/7.62 and the AR-10; you and my co-worker who admittedly know much more about guns than I. That's good e'nuff for me.

Good luck! IMHO, Noveske and GA Precision are the ones to get: a little pricier than most but very very accurate and well engineered.

No love for the LMT's? Either way, put the surefiire break on it, shoots like a dream.

.223 is too small for deer. You simply can't get the bullett weights you would want.
308 will do the job and if you have to reach out to 300 yards, It will still have the knock down power you need.

Noveske's are super expensive right now. If I were better educated on the AR platform, I would have chosen one 6 years ago.
Some WalMarts sell guns and believe it or not, they sell a lot of AR-15's. Colts go for about $800.00 if you are there at the right time.

Last edited:
Vegas, have you thought about the 300 AAC Blackout? The ballistics are really impressive.

The only issue is round availability.

Back