• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

oem head unit .... capacitors

oem head unit .... capacitors

anyone knows which capacitors are to replace on a failed oem bose unit

my oem bose unit works still fine, but I like to replace the capacitor in time

thanks for your help,

Raymond

Hi,

i just fixed mine..it was bad...lot's of leaks and big ones...

there are a lot more capacitors than these i mention, but
they look good and harmfull...i just replace the bigger ones.

I split it into 3 boards:

Board 1 (where you plug the big gray connector):
E820 - 470uF 16v
E803, E804 - 1000uF 16v
E801, E802 - 10uF 16v

Board 2 (big main board, on the bottom of HU) :
E816, E817 - 2200uF 16v
E818 - 1000uF 16v
4x - 470uF 16v (didn't recall the printed board names for them)
E812 - 220uF 16v

Board 3 (the other big board, below the cassete assy):
E807 - 47uF 50v (have to un-weld the cover)

The boards i labeled as 2 and 3, are the bigger ones, they each have 4
screws holding them, and their heads are covered with solder...either
you have to melt it and suck it up, or use the dremel to open a new slot
so you can use a screwdriver.

i also changed all illumination to white leds and all selection lights to red leds.
(also on the CCU display)

Everything is working 100%, but i have to balance the white lights on the HU,
as some are brighter than others.
(just have to use white paper to bring the tone down on the brighter ones)

Nuno

Hi,

the important thing on capacitors are the voltage limit and the maximum temperature.

For my repair, i bought capacitors with a little higher limit, like a 50v one, i bought a 63v.

About temperature, i bought locally 105º also, as i didn't find any 125º ones in any local store.

About their age, i really don't know how it impacts on their life, installed on a PCB or on a shelf.

Nuno

Last edited:
As a side note, the circuit board design is different depending on the country spec and year model.
The capacitor spec and number of capacitors used are also different so best to open your head unit first before placing the order for the capacitors.

You can find some examples here; http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/blog.php?1811&blogcategoryid=44

Kaz

This is awesome info. The next time someone attempts a repair, please take plenty of photos and post a DIY for the rest of the NSX community. I know there are many others who like the stock NSX radio and want to keep using it for as long as possible, as replacements & aftermarket solutions can be prohibitively expensive. Thanks!

ok, thank you very much for the info ( I think that Nuno have the same radio as mine )
he I also in Europe and I hope he have also a Honda Bose Unit )

otherwise I must open my unit befor I place my order for the capacitors.

I will take pics from the repair ;)

Hi,

yeap... i have a Honda Bose unit... and i bought a ACURA Bose unit, not working, from US
and the internals are a lot different from the Euro one.

I mainly took notice of the display board...completely different Display, Ribbon, IC, etc.

Nuno

Hi,

i think you can, not that they are THAT expensive, but when you open it up,
Honda may have a surprise for you .... keep that in mind :tongue:

Can't you by any chance open it up now??

Nuno

I don't want to alarm anyone here, but a bad capacitor can leak and create a short on the circuit board causing a fire.
This is what happened to my dash;

Dash fire- Rear by NSXbrian, on Flickr

I thankfully (coming from a Porsche background ;-) I had a small halon extinguisher in the car so was able to mitigate the damage, but the circuit boards obviously needed to be replaced.
This was an extreme example for sure, but I'm just throwing it out here to let you know what is possible.

Brian

Brian... that is one scary sight :eek:

seeing that just give me urge to go and remove my cluster, inspect and replace the capacitors.

About symptoms... a lot of cracking and pop sounds comiing from all speakers.. i already have all Bose amps
repaired by Brian, so i assumed they were not the problem, then after a long waiting period, i finally got to
remove my HU and as soon as i opened it, the smell coming from within instantly told me what the problem
was... and sure enough, 3 caps had serious leaks but i replaced all the big ones... there are dozens of little
ones (yellow and green).

Nuno

Brian,
Out of curiosity, did you have a modified gauge cluster (ie. different bulbs, previously added chrome rings or carbon fiber overlay). I'm curious cause I've opened mine up and couldn't recall any capacitors that were of sufficient size to result in such damage. But to be quite frank, I didn't look that closely. Did you happen to note which capacitor might have been the culprit?

This topic has been illuminated many times before and the the same message keeps coming up: No sound = dead head unit and most of the time not repairable.

Last edited:
Brian,
Out of curiosity, did you have a modified gauge cluster (ie. different bulbs, previously added chrome rings or carbon fiber overlay). I'm curious cause I've opened mine up and couldn't recall any capacitors that were of sufficient size to result in such damage. But to be quite frank, I didn't look that closely. Did you happen to note which capacitor might have been the culprit?
The cluster was stock, the only 'modification' if you could call it that was to remove the light bulbs for the ABS, TCS and Airbag since all those systems had been deleted from the car years earlier.
I don't know which one(s) caused the fire, other than to say it seemed to propagate from the lower center area of the circuit boards.

Brian

I replaced today all capacitors on my Bose head unit( see the list from Nuno )

I´m very happy ... all works perfect after replacement.

- - - Updated - - -

as promised .... here some pictures from the three boards & capacitors

P3300068-1.jpg P3300234-6.jpg P3300088-2.jpg P3300149-4.jpg P3300207-3.jpg P3300211-5.jpg

P3300253.jpg

P3300078.jpg

P3300218.jpg

P3300179.jpg

P3300249.jpg

P3300062.jpg

Last edited:
I guess that's my next project along with the SRS and cluster electronics. I already did the TCS and ECU.
Just wondering: wasn't it a nightmare to disassemble and re-assemble the radio unit? I've taken an unit fully apart but didn't dare to put it back together...
There are over 100 possibly-leaking caps in there...

sure ...... some hours work to disassemble and reassemble . That's correct many more capacitors .... but I think we replaced the most affected capacitors.

goldNSX.... you replaced on your ECU and TCS all capacitors ?

but to see the pic from the cluster .... makes fear

goldNSX.... you replaced on your ECU and TCS all capacitors ?

but to see the pic from the cluster .... makes fear
Yes, but the ones in the ECU are not worth replacing because they can't leak, they are different than the others, not Tantai ones but different.

Yes, a pretty damn disturbing picture. I don't have a fire extinguisher with me like former Porsche owners have, so this will be my next Project as winter is still not over here.

BTW: what manufacturer to choose? I can choose the following:
- Rubycon
- NIC Components
- Nippon Chemi Conductors
- Panasonic
- Jamicon
- Elna
- Suncon

Last edited:
i just fixed mine..it was bad...lot's of leaks and big ones...
Nuno
I'm about to do this and opened the unit but couldn't see any leaks on the lower board you refer as board 2. It's 22 years old but no leaks, ok, it still works but how long?

The board reminds me of a Story I've read on tantalum caps. There are so many cheap elcos on the board as the industry moved away from tantalum ones because there was a speculation on tantalum in the 80ies.

Hi,

since you have it opened up, replace them.... because being 22 years old, it's coming closer and closer to
not functioning :wink:

About the Tantalum capacitors...i always had the sense that these were the most reliable ones....weird..

Nuno

Back