• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Cruise control not engaging ?

My 96 NSX-T cruise control is not engaging. The the light next to the cruise master switch comes on when I push it. But the dash cruise control light does not come on, and of course the cruise control does not work, when I press the "set" button on the steering wheel. Are there any common faults I should be looking for?
Thanks!

My 96 NSX-T cruise control is not engaging. The the light next to the cruise master switch comes on when I push it. But the dash cruise control light does not come on, and of course the cruise control does not work, when I press the "set" button on the steering wheel. Are there any common faults I should be looking for?
Thanks!

Instead of doing the shotgun approach to troubleshooting... Do you have a copy of the repair manual?

Is your horn working by chance? Could be the cable reel see 23-251? Could be the Brake sensor as well? Have you checked the fuses See Section 23-287 and on?

The easy thing to do is see repair manual section 23-291 check the fuses first....

"Check the No. 5 (10A) fuse in the under-dash fuse box, and the No. 29 (50A), No. 45 (20A) fuses in the underhood fuse/relay box."

No I do not have a repair manual. That would help, big time. I will have to track one down or at least get the wiring diagram for that circuit. The horn works. All fuses are good. That was the first thing I checked. My fuse numbers are different according to my "owners manual" than what you gave me but the repair manual may be different than the owners manual with their fuse numbers. I dont know. Does not really matter, all fuses are good. Could be the brake sensor like you said or even the clutch sensor that shuts the cruise off when you step on the clutch. Or even the cable reel like you also mentioned. This car is immaculate, has very low miles, 40k. I also only have 10.5V to the rr tail lights and licence plate light, but normal batt.V to the lr tail lights. So they are not quite as bright as the lr tail lights. There maybe some common problem there as well.
Thank you very much for your help. I was just hoping someone has had the same problem or there was a common problem so I could maybe look at that specific area first. I am not going to just start throwing parts at the problem.
Thank you again for responding.

I know you don't want to start throwing parts at your car, but you can't go wrong by getting a couple of rubber stoppers for the brake & clutch sensors.

These fix the "my brake lights won't go off" problem, and may also be the reason your cruise isn't engaging: I had the same cruise issue, and thought I was looking at big time electrical repairs or replacement, but a look at the clutch pedal showed me that all I neede was this $4 part!

If yours haven't broken, they will; and if yours have, they are cheap and small enough to carry around as backups, for yourself or another NSXer.

Fuji

No I do not have a repair manual. That would help, big time. I will have to track one down or at least get the wiring diagram for that circuit. The horn works. All fuses are good. That was the first thing I checked. My fuse numbers are different according to my "owners manual" than what you gave me but the repair manual may be different than the owners manual with their fuse numbers. I dont know. Does not really matter, all fuses are good. Could be the brake sensor like you said or even the clutch sensor that shuts the cruise off when you step on the clutch. Or even the cable reel like you also mentioned. This car is immaculate, has very low miles, 40k. I also only have 10.5V to the rr tail lights and licence plate light, but normal batt.V to the lr tail lights. So they are not quite as bright as the lr tail lights. There maybe some common problem there as well.
Thank you very much for your help. I was just hoping someone has had the same problem or there was a common problem so I could maybe look at that specific area first. I am not going to just start throwing parts at the problem.
Thank you again for responding.

The fuse #'s I provided were from the 91-96 Coupe Manual. If your horn works that is a good thing then cable reel is fine, go through the troubleshooting chart to help diagnose the problem further 23-291. I'm going to lean on your brake sensor if your tail lights are on or dimly on at low voltage switch is around $46.79 from dealer. You could also try the rubber stoppers trick that Mr. Fuji mentioned http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/124118-The-1-55-Repair

Manual is avail for download from the WIKI under "Electronic Copies of the Service Manual"
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Service_manuals

Brake Switch #26 in the drawing: http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-catalog/acura/nsx/1991/2dr-nsx/ka5mt/chassis/pedal
26 36750-SE0-013 SWITCH ASSY., STOP & CRUISE (TEC) 1 $63.23 $46.79

Pedal stopper #36:
32 46505-SA5-000 PAD, PEDAL STOPPER 1 $2.30 $1.70

Last edited:
I know you don't want to start throwing parts at your car, but you can't go wrong by getting a couple of rubber stoppers for the brake & clutch sensors.

These fix the "my brake lights won't go off" problem, and may also be the reason your cruise isn't engaging: I had the same cruise issue, and thought I was looking at big time electrical repairs or replacement, but a look at the clutch pedal showed me that all I neede was this $4 part!

If yours haven't broken, they will; and if yours have, they are cheap and small enough to carry around as backups, for yourself or another NSXer.

Fuji

This.

Mr. Fuji beat me to it. I started to reply then got distracted.

Thank you all for your help!!!! I allready have the new plastic molded stoppers. There was no problem there. I will get the service repair manual and go form there. I really need the wiring diagram from that manual that will be a big help also. My guess is it is the brake sw itself. But I dont like guessing so I will get the wiring diagram.

Thanks again for all of your responses. Much appreciated!

Be sure your brake fluid reservoir is filled up. There is a warning light on the dash if the level becomes low. That electrical circuit includes the speed control, and sometimes before the fluid level low light gets tripped, the speed control will fail to engage. This happened to me about two months ago. My reservoir was only about half way between max and min, and my speed control has worked flawlessly since I filled the reservoir to the max mark.

The level will naturally drop and your pads wear. All it costs is about 4 cents worth of brake fluid to check this out. Good Luck.

Mark

Back