• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Do you use a Pressure washer

Do you use a Pressure Washer

• Yes (which one do you use)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No, Don't get near my car with one either.

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you use a pressure washer to wash your car? I have heard it is not good to use one, but I saw my neighbor washing his car with one(using the foaming stuff) on his M3.

I feel that the whole foam before wash is hoopla! As long as your car is not covered in mud, there is no reason to use a pressure washer. The two bucket soap/rinse method is the key to a safe, scratch free wash.

Heres washing with a foam gun.

Get out pressure washer,
Fill foam lance with expensive car wash,
connect hose to pressure washer,
plug in pressure washer,
foam car,
clean wheels,
wash with 2 bucket method,
pull in and dry,
put away pressure washer,roll up cord, roll up hose, then you are done.

I feel it adds way to many steps to wash the car to just to pre foam which really dosent do anything.

So as long as you do the 2 bucket method and you thoroughly rinse mit between panels you are definitely washing in an adequate way.

I also use a dedicated separate mitt and drying towel to do the side skirts, rear valance, bottom portion of the bumper and wheels as these are usually the dirtiest parts of the car.

Last edited:
I dont use one at home but would you consider the spray gun at any normal car wash a type pressure washer?

I guess you could...

There is the foam attachment that hooks to the garden hose....it works really good.

I have never used the foam before, just meguiers car wash soap. I just was always taught not to use a pressure washer on the car.

I have never used the foam before, just meguiers car wash soap. I just was always taught not to use a pressure washer on the car.

This is correct. Just remember the name of the game is keeping those particles of dirt from making any unnecessary contact with your clear coat.

The idea behind the foam gun is for nothing more than to get a layer of lubrication on the paint before you start moving dirt around.

I use a foam gun, then a bucket w/ grit guard and I have constant water application the whole time.

Two bucket method, all day everyday.

well I used one once on my NSX there was a chip on the passengerside mirror the pressure washer got it at an angle and peeled the paint off about 3 inches I was fu......dge.. never used it again.

then months later I hit a rubber orange cone doing 60mph ripped that same mirror off the car like a butter knife. so got a new mirror had it painted never looked back LOL

Pressure washer is a great tool for car washing. It saves water and you will not harm the paint. Common sense please. No one is telling one to use the high pressure wand up close to strip the paint. In a few feet, using low pressure wand, home use pressure washer generates fine and steady sprays that would not even harm one's skin. I have been using one for a few years and will never go back to a hose/nozzle.
Steve

I'm with Steve..same thing,distance is the key. back in my apt days all i had was the local self wash with the power sprayer...paint was fine.

My car was never washed with water...:cool:. Just kidding - I agree with the last 2 posts.

Only time I would use a pressure wash is when I come back from out of town due to the bugs on the window etc.. Stop by the car wash place pressure wash it down real quick then take it home and give it a hand wash :smile:.

Here is what I use. I wouldn't do it any other way.

attachment.php

My car was never washed with water...:cool:. Just kidding - I agree with the last 2 posts.

Heard a guy with a Ferrari 355 say he never uses soap(I kid you not) He just uses water and microfiber mit.

EAC that thing looks like it could etch cement LOL I wouldnt use that on your NSX. but I agree it will not hurt at a distance, but I kid you not close up and it can depending on brand of washer will pull paint off.

well atleast you cant say no one ever told you.

EAC that thing looks like it could etch cement LOL I wouldnt use that on your NSX. but I agree it will not hurt at a distance, but I kid you not close up and it can depending on brand of washer will pull paint off.

well atleast you cant say no one ever told you.

It can etch cement. I did on accident.

But, with the foam attachment, I have nothing to worry about.

The honda comes with 6 fittings, for rinsing, I use the softest one. I can put my hand on it at point blank without pain.

Check out my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONHtdI-M_iY

Last edited:
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/H2DxIwpZVfI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Just did it yesterday while the engine was running. NOt a single misfire after 2000psi of water where ever....

now that is some excellent honda built quality there!:smile:, but did you bag any electrical components? i don't know if i wanna risk something failing.

Last edited:
Nope. I just fire up the engine and give it a bath. My RX7 loved it too. I shocked my friends one day when I just took a wash bucket with soap and pour 2 gallons of solution all over a RX7 engine bay and not a hiccup.

I told them that Japanese cars love to be washed unlike their Euro counterparts....

I use a foam gun on a water hose. The foam gun works wonders with with a car that has several layers on it. Layers of sealant and wax. The foam gun helps the dirt float off the surface very well making the microfiber mitt easier. Flooding the car first with a fireman's hose attachment also helps the dirt lift off. Too much pressure forms swirl marks in my opinion. I have tested this time and time again and it has proven great. Pollen season is here and I do it a few times a week.

I have a pressure washer, but it only gets used to power my foam lance. It lays down a thick coating of soap to loosen the dirt. Then using the two bucket method I wash the car and rinse using a hose. I then dry the car with a electric leave blower which removes 99% of all the moisture, especially those hard areas like the mirrors, rear and front ends. I can then pick up the remaining moisture with one MF cloth.

power washer with Chemical Guys Torq foam cannon and SnowFoam soap and couple ounces of APC to lay a thick base (I have opticoat so I'm not worried about stripping wax with the APC)... then 10 buckets of soapy water and koala mitt to glide the foam off the car (they are small buckets, I actually fill 2 5gal buckets with soapy water in my basement washtub then in the driveway I have the 10 small buckets and dump the soapy water into them, never use the same bucket on more than 1 panel!)... pressure washer to rinse on a safe/soft wide spray... Air Force Master Blaster to dry the car especially all the nooks... waffle weave microfiber if needed... usually finish with a pass of Hybrid V7 on one uber-plush microfiber with a second clean/dry uber-plush microfiber to buff.

The pressure washer with foam cannon was the best addition to this process. Thick foam base on the car is nice!

Back