• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Blodi's Lovefab LF600 Engine and Turbo Build...

Time for the next chapter of my car..... picking up where my BBSC thread left off....
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/157626-Blodi-s-BBSC-Install

Quick background....
We determined I had cracked my #2 piston before my car was even picked up. The car was smoking after hard acceleration and a compression test confirmed that #2 was low. I blame myself for running what I knew to be more boost than was "safe".
So off the car went with Cody on Jan 20th. We were planning a LF600 engine build, build an intercooler setup and up the boost on the supercharger.

8400145856_dffc7aec22_c.jpg

Car arrives at LoveFab...
attachment.php

Cody got the engine out and disassembled within a couple weeks

8411603535_e9475e7288_b.jpg

8465837067_f46d9aaa8d.jpg

8465837037_cc388a3053_b.jpg

Cracked #2 piston in 2 spots...
8449872099_25a6427b5e.jpg

Cody sent all of the parts off to the machine shop......and things got quiet for a while. Parts are just now back about 8 weeks later due to a lot of hold ups at the machine shop, which sucks, but it was out of Cody's hands and way out of mine.

As of last week everything just happened to line up for me to jump to a turbo setup. So the plans are currently, (I've added a lot of this as time has gone on......)

LoveFab LF600 Engine build
-CP 9.0:1 pistons
-Cometic headgaskets
-ARP headstuds
-Rods converted to floating wrist pin.
-New TB/WP

Also adding:
-SOS oil pump and billet gear set
-RC 750cc injectors
-Aeromotive 340 fuel pump
-AEM 3.5 BAR Map Sensor
-ATI crank pulley

Turbo Components:
-Precision BB Turbo 67 mm
-LoveFab headers (from last years Pikes Peak car)
-LoveFab Y-Pipe
-LoveFab Exhaust
-LoveFab WAIC setup
-TiAL MVR Wastegate
-TiAL Q BOV

Also adding:
-AEM Serial Gauge
-Stoptech front BBK (from last years Pikes Peak car)
-All new coolant hoses on the car

I also had a AEM FPR on the car and am using a series 1 AEM EMS. Also will most likely be using my AEM Water/Meth injection setup already on the car. (just realized I've got a lot of AEM stuff, haha)

So there is the game plan. I don't have a clear idea on boost level/rwhp goals, but I'm not shooting for any records, just something that will be healthy for a long time and only partially scare the crap out of me.

Updates as they happen! I'm sure Cody will chime in from time to time too.

Last edited:
What if something goes wrong again, don't you want to run stock compression since you're not going for super high boost levels?

What if something goes wrong again, don't you want to run stock compression since you're not going for super high boost levels?

Hopefully, we never cross that bridge. I think we are taking all the appropriate precautions with this build. The motor will handle 17psi if I want it it sounds like. Not sure exactly where we'll end up...maybe Cody has a better answer.

What was your boost level and how many psi were you running on the stock setup?

Jealous of your new build!

I was running 9.8 on the previous build....no intercooler....not the greatest idea. Also, notice that the crack happened right where the ring gaps are...which I wonder why the ring gaps were lined up like that? Seems like you want them 180 degrees from each other, at least that is what I was taught 15 years ago in auto shop class in high school haha.

I personally wouldn't run 17psi with stock sleeves.....if longevity is your goal.

Here is Curtsr's dyno with basically the same exact build as I'll have at 17psi...I don't think I'll be pushing it near that far. I am more than willing to give up hp for longevity.

WOW, the similarities are numerous: Red NSX, Cody's trailer in front of the house loaded, BBSC prior, dead cylinder discovered during turbo conversion, decision to rebuild + TB/WP, ~600hp goal, machine shop delays...

Since the situations are so similar then its probably safe to extrapolate that your NSX is gonna put a shit-eating grin on your face every time you drive it or even look at it.
7K miles down the road it's still an amazing car so I know that you'll be very happy.

I actually told my growed-up kids pretty much just that at dinner last night- that the all-inclusive cost of my turbo NSX is a great spend ROI-wise, value-wise, whatever. The motor upgrade takes a fine car and makes it a really great one bumping it into a different class. Guys with other supercar options like Jorligan or Peiserg might tell you differently or they might just agree since they own their turbo NSX's and another great car concurrently. And other guys keep coming back.

About mine being pushed harder in tuning, I dunno. It may well be as it is with the opposite sex: you know, the old "I usually never do this..." thing. Cody said that some rebuilds just go together better, work better together and just make better power and that seemed/ seems reasonable to me. Also in viewing videos I've noticed that I come out of it a little early shifting at a little over 7K and not at 8.3K. Maybe subconscious self-preservation at work... but that means that I'm usually using ~575whp max. Consider the rest a 50lb shot when needed.

I'm sure the extra spend on the bottom is a big surprise but just stay the course brother. You're going to love (fab) that car.

Keep the posts coming!

Thanks for chiming in Curt! The similarities are nuts. I was more than happy with the 431rwhp my BBSC setup was putting out, so this will surely be tons of fun. I have driven Cody's old "purple beast" (now owned by sca037 and nsxgal) which is around 600rwhp and its truly mind blowing. As far as where mine ends up tune wise, I'll let Cody work his voodoo. But, like I said, I'm certainly willing to "leave some on the table".....of course, I can always choose to up it later :)

Last edited:
That 67 mm turbo may not spool up like twins or a smaller 62 mm but the torque and high end power will be insane!

ENJOY!!!!!!

I have driven Cody old "purple beast" (now owned by sca037 and nsxgal) which is around 600rwhp and its truly mind blowing. As far as where mine ends up tune wise, I'll let Cody work his voodoo.

Yeah my lil bro lives in Traverse and is good friends with Cody. I rode in Brian and Judy's LoveFab when Cody still owned it, that ride helped push me to "all in" later.

And any friend of NealBob is a friend of mine! :biggrin:

The spool of the 67mm is surprisingly fast. I suspect that with 18 lbs, you will be over 600 rwhp. I will say that the turbo NSX is a great car. It still has amazing visibility and road feel. It "feels" right. It is certainly fast enough.

The spool of the 67mm is surprisingly fast. I suspect that with 18 lbs, you will be over 600 rwhp. I will say that the turbo NSX is a great car. It still has amazing visibility and road feel. It "feels" right. It is certainly fast enough.

Thanks for chiming in. I should mention to others that the turbo, y pipe and exhaust for my setup are all off of Jorligan's old setup. Him selling those parts was a huge part of me being able to take the leap to turbo.

IN for the new (2 thumbs up) direction this build thread has taken ;^D

Brian

Stephen,
This would be the setup you drove in Canada at EstFest when we first met. You remember, when the car went sideways:biggrin:

Nice to see he is working on your motor, maybe that's why he's been too busy to give me a return call/text after trying for several days.

Excited for you! I can tell you after Driving Curtsr's car a couple months ago it is leaps and bounds over the 425rwhp I have in mine. If you were happy with it back then you are going to absolutely freak the hell out when you drive this after it's done. I was very impressed with power delivery on Curts car. I have a spare motor that I will be building to achieve that 650rwhp goal this winter unless mine lets go before then.

Back