• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Front knuckle ball joint replacement. Whats the real story?

the 2 bare knuckles i had in stock already

and the new joints fitted.....

the bottom joints are the ones that load from the centre of the hub, so the 11904

straight forward to fit, just like normal ball joints!

i managed with a big vise and some old bearing races as spacers, but i'm sure a local mechanic can help with a press if need be. i did heat the knuckle before putting the joints in, not too much, you could still touch it, i didn't heat it to just off melting!!!!

i understand rare parts will fit them if you ask!

straight forward to fit, just like normal ball joints!

i managed with a big vise and some old bearing races as spacers, but i'm sure a local mechanic can help with a press if need be. i did heat the knuckle before putting the joints in, not too much, you could still touch it, i didn't heat it to just off melting!!!!

i understand rare parts will fit them if you ask!

Planning on doing this soon. Can you provide any pointers on removing the old ball joints.

I did the rear lowers. The fronts seem easier to do because there is place to press them out and back in which is not the case with the rear knuckle where we had to hammer out and eat to hammer the new ones back in.

Can anyone confirm the Rare Parts part numbers for the lower rear knuckle and the upper control arm please?

EDIT: Lower rear appears to be available from Rock Auto: Beck Arnley 1014102. If you click the info button on Rock Auto site, it gives a whole load of alternative part numbers, which is useful if you want to source a more preferred make. Lots available on eBay, Amazon, etc. From $10.

Not found the upper yet...

Last edited:
rear upper is in the contol arm, so is a different type of fit, as far as i know... rare parts do fit them if you send your arms to them..., well they did when i enquired

Can anyone confirm the Rare Parts part numbers for the lower rear knuckle and the upper control arm please?

EDIT: Lower rear appears to be available from Rock Auto: Beck Arnley 1014102. If you click the info button on Rock Auto site, it gives a whole load of alternative part numbers, which is useful if you want to source a more preferred make. Lots available on eBay, Amazon, etc. From $10.

Not found the upper yet...
Did the lower rear from Beck Arnley work btw?
[MENTION=33247]MotorMouth93[/MENTION] shared what appears to be an OEM part that cross references with the Lower Rear as well.
https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~joint~fr~ball~lower~musashi~51220-s84-305.html

Unfortunately that OEM part number 51220-S84-305 I came up with does not fit (and I suspect the Beck and Arnley would not fit properly either after seeing reports of a similar issue in another thread). I ordered one to test and found that the threads were too short to have proper engagement once inserted into the NSX rear lower arm.

Last edited:
Back