• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Considering an NSX: Advice request, etc

I'm seriously considering an NSX but have some questions.
1) I'm 6' 2", 34" inseam, 170 lbs: Will I fit ? Comfortably ? Long (500 mi) distance ? If I buy one I intend to ENJOY it.

2) There's a 1 -owner '91 for sale near me. 36K miles, $36,450 asking price. NO mods, all options. "Assuming" near pristine condition. Price seems reasonable ? What to look for on this model ? Potential "trouble" spots ?

3) Read that some early models had a transmission "snap ring" problem. Specific transmission serial numbers. (3542-5978) Is trans # readily visible and of so where ?

4) Also read that timing belts supposedly good for 90K. Even in a climate-controlled garage the rubber will age some. What life expectancy ? 6 years maybe ? More ? Approx replacement cost w/H2O pump ?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Many of these questions are in the wiki, and more. I'm a new owner myself and the wiki was very helpful!

I recommend you poke around some in it.

As for #2, that's a high price but for the mileage and presumed mint condition it may be worth it.

I am 6' and 32 inseam which means my torso is probably as long or longer than yours. There is plenty of legroom in these cars. I have to use a thin seat cushion for driving at the track with a helmet so it doesn't get stuck on the roof. I think you should be fine.
If you buy it, change the timing belt and get the price knocked down to reflect that it should have been done by 1997 (6years OR 90000 miles). Check the Wiki- lots of good info there.

Thanks for the reply ! Just joined the forum, still finding my way around. 1st question is foremost...If the car doesn't fit then no need to waste a half day to go look when I'd rather be riding my motorcycle in the twisties !

1) I'm 6' 2", 34" inseam, 170 lbs: Will I fit ? Comfortably ? Long (500 mi) distance ? If I buy one I intend to ENJOY it.
You are about the same size as me, maybe a little longer in the leg by an inch or two, and I am very comfortable in the car. I don't even drive with the seat 100% back, as I like a little more knee flex for pedal work, so I suspect you will do just fine.

The seats are a tight fit for folks a little heavy around the waist as they are rather narrow, but seem to be ok if you are tall and thin.

Swapping out the timing belt is a good safety call if you are at all nervous. The engine damage that can result will be much more costly than the repair bill.

I am 6'-2" with 34" inseam and have absolutely no isuues with the legroom or headroom. The seats in the NSX are one of the most supportive I have driven. Never heard of a complaint from passemgers and never read an issue on the forum with seat comfort on long road trips.

Last edited:
1) I'm 6' 2", 34" inseam, 170 lbs: Will I fit ? Comfortably ? Long (500 mi) distance ? If I buy one I intend to ENJOY it..

There is plenty of leg room in the NSX. It may depend on how long your torso is from what I've read.
I believe you would fit in a 91 to 94 or any coupe okay. I haven't been in an NSX-T with the top on but I have heard there may be a little less headroom in those.
I'm 6'0" to 6'1" or so in shoes and 210 lbs... need to be closer to 190 to 195 lbs. Anyway I fit great with no issues. Everybody who has sat in my NSX comments on how comfortable the seats are for them. My wife was in a bad car accident when she was young & can't sit long in most situations, but she loves to go out with me in the NSX. They are very comfortable for her... but she is on the other spectrum in size 5'0".
Scotty Pippen use to own a NSX. Some of the taller drivers reduce the foam pad they sit on, but I would think you should fit fine in a coupe.
They were engineered for ENJOYMENT!

2) There's a 1 -owner '91 for sale near me. 36K miles, $36,450 asking price. NO mods, all options. "Assuming" near pristine condition. Price seems reasonable ? What to look for on this model ? Potential "trouble" spots ?

[3) Read that some early models had a transmission "snap ring" problem. Specific transmission serial numbers. (3542-5978) Is trans # readily visible and of so where ?

The $36,450 for a 91 NA1 Hagerty shows the value at $42,200 for Condition 1 & $33,400 for Condition 2.
Average is $25,509
http://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/HVT/VehicleSearch/Report?vc=939163

It all comes down to the market & ultimately what it is worth to you.

Possible Trouble Spots to look for...
I could say the Climate Control Unit (CCU). They are known to go bad to where the temperature controls don't work or else the AC only works on high. As well as the power windows are known to have possible issues. Hugabuga has a fix-it kit.
As well as the noted snap-ring range. I personally wouldn't let that be a deal breaker.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Transmission_and_Engine_Numbers
Also found under the FAQ http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/engine_transmission_vin.htm

It can be seen fairly easy from above. It helps to have good light or possibly a flash light.

4) Also read that timing belts supposedly good for 90K. Even in a climate-controlled garage the rubber will age some. What life expectancy ? 6 years maybe ? More ? Approx replacement cost w/H2O pump ?

As for the Timing Belt/Water Pump question... that poor horse has been pounded. Many say follow the recommended service of every 7 years regardless of miles. I would guess if this is a 91 with never having had the TB/WP or other maintenance done, then you would want to change all the hoses, fluids, etc as well as the WP/TB.
As for the cost of a WP/TB & other maintenance goes... it seems to depend where a person goes or even the location. Acura Dealerships charge their dealership price I believe and it tends to cost more than an independent. Some Acrua Dealerships don't have any techs who have ever worked on an NSX.
We are lucky here having an independent mechanic who is familiar with the NSX and doesn't seem to charge a premium because it is an NSX.
You can try to do an advance search on other threads or others may chime in on their costs.

It's best to read the threads and search the wiki. It has a plethera of NSX information.

Good luck in your hunt & keep us posted

Last edited:
Thanks much to everyone who has replied. Very helpful ! I realize cost is what the market will bear and how high the "fever" (mine) is. From the one conversation I've had I'm "expecting" to view a pristine car.The owner stored it on a lift to "preserve" the springs. "Sounds" pretty meticulous. Never been to a track day and rarely if ever driven in the rain, etc. We'll see, huh ?? Thanks again...still open to more input. I will browse the wiki section..

I am 6'2" at 190 and fit fine. I wanted a little more head room so I romoved the seat cusion and trimmed about an inch of foam off of it and it made a world of difference.

Back