• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ford GT. Thoughts?

Man I just did a quick check on autotrader, their pries have gone way up!! I had seen some around $140ish, now some are selling at $400?! Is it totally unrealistic to get one under 150?

Not sure about the $400k mark but I think $200-250k is the current market for clean examples. I don't think $140k is going to happen but for your sake I hope I am wrong.

There were a lot of little things I did not 'prefer' with the Ford GT. The interior, for instance, left a lot to be desired but for me that is maybe 1-5% of the decision making process. That being said the car is 3,300 lbs so you can't expect what you usually get in a similarly priced car that weighs 4-500 lbs more.

for the same price, i'd much prefer a mclaran

but I'm a broke mofo, so my opinion means zilch! lol

Dude last time you wanted a gtr then r8 and now ford gt. IMO, if u have the extra disposable cash, just sell the nsx, buy what you want, drive for a while, then sell and repeat. As nice as your nsx is, life is too short. You don't want to spend your golden years wishing you had done this and that. Besides, what additional mods that you can do to your nsx that will make it significantly better than it is now? You can always buy another stock nsx and start the modding process again.

For that kind of money, I'd rock one of these...

th

Not sure about the $400k mark but I think $200-250k is the current market for clean examples. I don't think $140k is going to happen but for your sake I hope I am wrong.

Gee, what a surprise! There is a Ford GT forum with a GTs For Sale section. I'm shocked!

http://www.fordgtforum.com/

Most didn't have prices on the website Hugh provided but the few that did ranged from 190k to 215k. We all know what 'call for price' means. Reminds me of 'market price' adjacent to seafood on a dinner menu.

My eyes wander for the GT40, not the new GT, dont know why though.

Question is, is it worth 200? That's a fleet of nice cars. I love it, but 200 may be too rich for my blood.

Some of my fondest track memories are of the GT 40s spinning off track as I sat a few feet of their bumpers and filled their mirrors. It is amazing to see how big a man's eyes can get going off track backwards at 100+. Cool for the street I guess...but that's all I'll give it.

It's been a while since I've posted on this forum. I had my NSX for about 7 years ('97 Spa Yellow, longest I've ever kept a car), and then went to a 996 GT2, Cayman S, now a 930 Turbo Racecar as I was really getting more serious with my track days. I think we met at WGI years ago probably about 2006 or 2005.

Anyway, I bought a '06 Tungsten Gray GT last October with 7800 miles from CA, and no regrets buying it. I did buy it as an "investment" but I am driving the car on the right occasion (and I stress it is an OCCASION each time I drive this car). It's an amazing driving experience, will probably never track mine, but have coached someone with a modified GT on the track and it takes a lot more I think to drive this car at the limit (compared to the cars I've tracked, including a highly modified Lotus Elise which shares track duty with my modified 930 race car). I've had 33 cars in my lifetime, currently own 6, and the GT is truly one SPECIAL car. I presume you've checked out www.fordgtforum.com - someone there did a nice comparison between his GT and Ferrari 458 since he owns both, and as much as the 458 has taken Ferrari to a new level over the 430, he still favors the GT.

Good luck in your search - mine was something I'd been thinking of since 2011 and finally had all the stars align last October.

hey Gene....coming to kids day?

Ford GT is a beast--rare, exotic, performance and a head turner. That being said, I would keep my NSX over it because NSX. And if I had a $200K budget I'd probably get the following cars over it: MP4-12C, LP-560, Valentino Balboni, Scuderia, R8 V10 Plus, Murci, maybe 997 GT3 RS. Just personal preference.

Last edited:
Forget what others have said. You must drive one to truly appreciate and understand how awesome GT is.
It's a very special car. IMO, best American sports car ever made.
I picked one up in last Oct after spending countless hrs of searching. It quickly then became all time personal favorite sports car.
I have gone through many modern sports cars including some exotics in the past but none were like GT.
GT is engaging, raw, exciting yet fun. Simply put, the driving experience is like no other cars in the world.
I must admit I'm a 3 pedal lover but that's not the main reason I love this car so much.
GT is all about driving experience especially when pushed hard. So capable and stable its almost too good to be true.
Could it be my GT has almost 300HP over stock and has track worthy upgrades? May be... but I'm sure stock GT also drives as good and gives almost same feeling behind the wheel.
The car is begging to be driven hard. Def more rewarding as you push harder. That's why I did far more canyon runs, track days and airstrip runs than local car shows.
Yes, the car isn't daily friendly due to low height, door design and waaaay too much attention but it did't stop me from driving more. Way more than my other toys including the daily driver!!!
I also have MP4-12C. It's an amazing car with latest technology. Absolutely mind boggling and physics defying performance on the track... but the car seems too sterile, perhaps too perfect?? To me GT is more special and attractive. If I have to choose one between MP4-12C and GT? I would choose GT hands down. Trust me it's that good.
It's also true the value of GT has gone up approx. 50k in last 3 yrs (about 20k in 12 months). IMO, the value will keep appreciate since we'll never see a car like this again in the future. It's the last unique analog sports car with great racing history.

Next time you visit So. Cal, let me know in advance. We can go for spin in all three cars to help you understand why FGT > MP4-12C > NSX. And my Acura isn't too shabby as it has shown its tail lights to GTR around the track AND on the FWY.

I drove a Ford gt for a weekend. My honest opinion is that it is fast, but that's it. It wasn't fun to drive. It's too wide. It's very hard to see anything around you. Put it this way, I had it for a weekend and didn't bother driving it the next day. I liked driving the nsx much more. The gt looks great but that's it for me.

If I'm going to spend 150K, then I rather get something else. I guess I'm never a car fan with stripe on it :)

Last edited:
Forget what others have said. You must drive one to truly appreciate and understand how awesome GT is.
I picked one up in last Oct after spending countless hrs of searching. It quickly then became all time personal favorite sports car.
I have gone through many modern sports cars including some exotics in the past but none were like GT.
GT is engaging, raw, exciting yet fun. Simply put, the driving experience is like no other cars in the world.
I must admit I'm a 3 pedal lover but that's not the main reason I love this car so much.
GT is all about driving experience especially when pushed hard. So capable and stable its almost too good to be true.
Could it be my GT has almost 300HP over stock and has track worthy upgrades? May be... but I'm sure stock GT also drives as good and gives almost same feeling behind the wheel.
The car is begging to be driven hard. Def more rewarding as you push harder. That's why I did far more canyon runs, track days and airstrip runs than local car shows.
Yes, the car isn't daily friendly due to low height, door design and waaaay too much attention but it did't stop me from driving more. Way more than my other toys including the daily driver!!!
I also have MP4-12C. It's an amazing car with latest technology. Absolutely mind boggling and physics defying performance on the track... but the car seems too sterile, perhaps too perfect?? To me GT is more special and attractive. If I have to choose one between MP4-12C and GT? I would choose GT hands down. Trust me it's that good.
It's also true the value of GT has gone up approx. 50k in last 3 yrs (about 20k in 12 months). IMO, the value will keep appreciate since we'll never see a car like this again in the future. It's the last unique analog sports car with great racing history.

Next time you visit So. Cal, let me know in advance. We can go for spin in all three cars to help you understand why FGT > MP4-12C > NSX. And my Acura isn't too shabby as it has shown its tail lights to GTR around the track AND on the FWY.

Hi, I am in Socal:biggrin: I would like a Ford GT too in the Future. You have got three of my favorite cars. Wow.

Purchased one last year and I love it. I was very surprised how easy and comfortable the car drives. The only negative thing I can say is the rear view when trying to back out.

Hurry and pick one up as the prices have gone up extremely since last year!!

Greg I might just take you up on that offer. Wow thanks for that feedback... That gets me motivated again.

- - - Updated - - -

I should have bought one 2 years ago. Dammit....

Funny how this thread has brought out some long time members who rarely post. But it is a great topic.:wink:

I remember hearing that Jeremy Clarkson had nothing but nightmares with his...
and on one of the Top Gear shows, they made the point that because of the way the door extends into the roof, if you park next to another vehicle (either in your garage .. at a car show .. or just in a parking lot), you'll have difficulty getting out unless you can swing the door nearly fully open. The other less important downside is that I think the typical fuel consumption is in the low teens per gallon .. so cruising range is quite bad .. which is another point they made on the show. Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVeGuCs1R4c

it is after all a salleen s7.....with a slightly different motor

Hey! Hey! Dont belittle the S7 comparing it to the Ford GT LOL. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Last edited:
Back