• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ford GT. Thoughts?

don't shame me shame ford for using the body in white.....

I like them a lot. IMO, the Ford GT destroys most other supercars because, like the NSX, it seems to increase in value.
Sure you can by a 2013 Lambo for almost the same price as an old Ford GT, but in 5 years the lambo will depreciate $75,000 and the GT will have gone up in value.

Dave check DuPont Registry or Jameslist, I am sure you'll find them there
Get this one :D
http://m.jamesedition.com/listing/567612

For those not on a mobile device - here's the alternative link: http://www.jamesedition.com/cars/ford/gt/2004-factory-test-mule-for-sale-567612

Guy near me owns one, its a very cool car. Sounds great, looks great and as others have mentioned holds its value extremely well. If you like how it feels when you drive it, can't say that you could go wrong with a Ford GT. It has more of the exotic quirks than an NSX though to be sure, but that isn't really a surprise.

I like them a lot. IMO, the Ford GT destroys most other supercars because, like the NSX, it seems to increase in value.
Sure you can by a 2013 Lambo for almost the same price as an old Ford GT, but in 5 years the lambo will depreciate $75,000 and the GT will have gone up in value.

If its a real FordGT, then you're looking at around $3+mil for one spec, around $1.5mil for the "lesser" spec. I think there's a $1mil Lambo out there for 2013 but not $3mil :D

If its a real FordGT, then you're looking at around $3+mil for one spec, around $1.5mil for the "lesser" spec. I think there's a $1mil Lambo out there for 2013 but not $3mil :D

True... Or a real 1960s 'Ford GT40' that is.
A real 2005/2006 'Ford GT' (they sold the "GT40" name a long time ago) can be had for under $200,000 I'm pretty sure.

Unbeknown to most of you "newer" guys, one of us old timer NSXrs is a notorious Ford GT tuner and performance parts developper.
KPond (on Prime since 2001) and his son in CA are popular amongst FGT owners. Their company is http://www.cooltechllc.com/
They both would be great guys to answer questions. Kpond bought his NSX in the mid 90's and his FGT in 2005. He has made his mark both on the Texas Mile and the Mojave Mile.

True... Or a real 1960s 'Ford GT40' that is.
A real 2005/2006 'Ford GT' (they sold the "GT40" name a long time ago) can be had for under $200,000 I'm pretty sure.

Yes sir you are 1000% correct on that one. Slight oversight on my part... but you're picking up what I'm layin down so we are on the same page.

GT40 = Bookooo bucks
FordGT = spendy but not bookoo bucks

Man I just did a quick check on autotrader, their pries have gone way up!! I had seen some around $140ish, now some are selling at $400?! Is it totally unrealistic to get one under 150?

FGT's have not been under $150 for a long time now. The 2009 pricing of all sports cars has come and gone and I doubt it will ever come back. Even late last year $160-$170 was the going rate. Fast forward 6 months and the FGT market has gone crazy for some reason. I personally would shop it at around $150 but above $200 it has a lot of competition.

Amazing car!! I kick myself for not buying one when they were "cheaper".

Best place to buy: http://eliteautosllc.com/inventory/

zomg, I want

Heritage-GREY-calipers.jpg

I am not an expert on the Ford 40/GT but here is my take based on seeing them on/off the road.

Timeless design - exotic yes* the qualifier being an "American exotic" .....
Raw - this was a very good description
Very nice rumble/throaty V8
Claustrophobic - American manufacturers have yet to design a more panoramic/ergonomic GT, GTS ..
Definitely not easy for commute but a a sure show stealer if you are into wax/show.
So far, real track prepped ones have not done well, perhaps significant more R&D $ are needed for platform

From a "design" perspective, I view the Ford GT as a nicely juiced-up testosteroned NSX. A definite plus for eye candy. Mechanically, reliability etc., can't comment much except to note that when the GT came out there were some issues, and hopefully they have all been resolved.

Would I pay $150+K for one. No; but if your are gambling for investment then that is a different discussion. But to each his own.

Amazing car!! I kick myself for not buying one when they were "cheaper".

Best place to buy: http://eliteautosllc.com/inventory/

Same here. Back in early 2006 I tried hard to convince my friend (see above post # 58) to get, like me, a discounted 06 Gallardo for the same price of a new FGT. He bought the FGT and I traded my 04 G for an 06. He is laughing all the way to the bank but more importantly he's had a great ownership experience with the FGT, reliable and streetable with over 700HP.

To comment, as an owner of both, on the comments made here..

prices are 140-220 depending on miles and condition

MPG are 14 city if you beat the shit out of the loud pedal. I got 21 mpg doing a sustained 90 mph with about 15 pulls well in excess of 150mph over 250 miles.

rearward visibility is not on par with the NSX, but it isn't terrible. You DO have a big blind spot though to be aware of behind the B pillars. It's something you just factor in when driving.

ergonomically the nsx wins.

sound goes to the GT by a mile. Try driving one with a hard pull in a tunnel. you may tear your pants with the erection.

performance? It's a joke to compare the two. Ford GT outperforms the nsx in virtually any category that I can think of. Don't forget the suspension of the nsx was designed in 1988-89 vs the GT

The GT is heavier, true. Wider as well, although that is definitely part of the exotic look.

The nsx will attract attention at the gas station... teenage boys, asian males in their twenties. That's about it. I've had mine for a decade and that has held true year after year.

The GT.. I've had 4 year olds wanting to sit in it, and 85 yr old women as well. Guys of all ages, motorcycle cops, truck drivers, NSX drivers, VW bug drivers.. and chicks from 5 years old to 85, including reams of teenagers, twenty somethings, 30-40-50-60-70 somethings. There's something about that car that pulls them in. Driving ANYWHERE results in people running video as they sit behind you, and then there is the "rolling 360" where they slowly drive around you on the freeway.

Mods... well, $850 will net you 620 rwhp on 91 octane, and swapping superchargers (not cheap...$9000...but literally direct bolt on, and takes only 4 hrs) will net you close to 800 rwhp on 91 octane on fully stock internals, including the fuel injectors and pump. That's where mine is at.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-speedometer-in-the-FGT?highlight=speedometer

thats a quick pull (and i DO mean quick lol).

that's a custom gauge cause yeah there is an issue with the ford gauges. I paid $1300 for an entire gauge setup by speedhut, a well respected custom gauge manufacturer. Fits great.

...too busy driving his nsx.....................

Pieserg the prices you are quoting is lower than what others are quoting. I haven't seriously researched the market but you are saying some can be had at some of these lower prices? I'd be so hesitant to change the car from OEM because it is such a classic although I am sure that kind of power is mind blowing.

I've been in Rogers with 700hp.....fast..but rwd fast which takes some finesse to master...I've also been in awd 700hp porsche turbos,and the difference in control and hole shot traction is palpable,video game like..so if I was purely in it for driving giggles the awd would win..but my ego wants me to be seen in the GT...it has greater presence at the car shows of the world.

I've been in Rogers with 700hp.....fast..but rwd fast which takes some finesse to master...I've also been in awd 700hp porsche turbos,and the difference in control and hole shot traction is palpable,video game like..so if I was purely in it for driving giggles the awd would win..but my ego wants me to be seen in the GT...it has greater presence at the car shows of the world.

Found one for you....

GT_zpsf9567536.jpg

sweet.....fancy use of fotoshop paint...

Everyone goes crazy over my NSX, kids and adults alike, but it depends on how badass your NSX looks, and of course where you live. If I had a FordGT, I have no reason to think it would attract any less or any more attention in general.

I'd love to have that problem

I concur with the conclusion that the NSX largely attracts males and in particular young Asian males. Of course, this begs the question who cares who is looking at what you are driving.

Back