• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura NSX Details Emerge - in Today's Autoweek

Nice share, thanks! :cool:

Here's more of the interview: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ffordable-ferrari-fighter-chief-engineer.html

This below had me chuckle a bit... :D

Acura NSX details emerge... said:
Autoweek: Can you say anything about power output?

Ted Klaus, Large Project Leader of the NSX: “The first NSX was torquey, with a broad power band and it was responsive. The key is to have mid-range torque. It's going to have a high-specific power output per liter.”
"Torquey?" :confused:

May be revvy? peppy? anxsy? Torquey doesn't come to mind!

Last edited:
Perhaps not for those raised on big V6 and V8 motors. But for someone used to Honda 4s it has a lot more low and mid-range torque, something which I really appreciated when I first drove an NSX.

I didn't see this in any of the articles but if true it gives something to look forward to then later this summer...

Quoted from autoweek article:

" Racing plans? “We will race the car … A prototype will do laps at the Honda Indy 200 at Mid Ohio Aug. 5.”

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130514/carnews/130519922#ixzz2TJPnZZIu
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook "

It was mentioned in the original NSX introductory video that the reason for the dual plate clutch was used to handle the torque of the engine. I guess technically you could say it was torquey for it's day, or the type of car it is.

Thanks for that link, Ken.

Here's a bit more "fleshed out" responses to the same conference call at TOV.

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=1149284

A few real positives about the NSX team manager, Ted Klaus
1) He met with Ito-san and learned what NSX DNA is. Their development strategy sounds IDENTICAL. (benchmark current halo cars then set your performance targets above them, keep the car driver centric/human fitting/dynamic/fast, pioneer new production techniques, etc etc)
2) The team plans to continue developing the product, unlike Gen One, which he acknowledges was a big failure
3) He's a suspension engineer and a racer
4) HIS COMPANY PICTURE IS HIM STANDING NEXT TO A ZANARDI FOR #*#% SAKE!

lets hope they get the price right,,and offer an atractive lease option with a low money factor.

I agree docjohn, they definitely need Mother Honda Credit to put together an attractive lease option
-
Has anyone asked the question and received an answer about targeted production numbers ?

Honda has confirmed it will return to Formula One as an engine supplier with McLaren in 2015. The new Formula One 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 should benefit the development of the new NSX engine.

-
Has anyone asked the question and received an answer about targeted production numbers ?

I know someone designing some chassis parts for them and Honda only ordered 1800 of the part. So My guess would be below that number.

AutoNews

[h=1]NSX's electric motors will help handling[/h]

AR-305209962.jpg&q=80&MaxW=120

Klaus: Motors respond to driver actions.

<tbody>
</tbody>
Thought Leadership

• <small></small>

<tbody>
    </tbody>

Automotive News
May 20, 2013 - 12:01 am ET

MARYSVILLE, Ohio -- Technical details on the Acura NSX coming in 2015 are scarce, but large-project leader Ted Klaus offered a few nuggets last week as Honda officials announced that the sports car will be built here.

2 front-mounted electric motors will do more than boost acceleration, Klaus said. They will sharpen handling by managing torque and weight shifts in turns.

And the car's 3 electric motors will be capable of driving the car without the gasoline engine -- if Honda wants to program the car to have an electric drive mode. Klaus also said the car's battery pack will be in the transmission tunnel area and will help handling by ensuring proper weight distribution.

"All 3 motors will work in conjunction with the driver," he said. "When the driver puts his foot on the accelerator or turns or brakes, all those motors will work in response."

Honda officials know the all-wheel-drive V-6-powered NSX isn't going to outmuscle most Corvettes, Ferraris and Porsches. But they also know that it takes more than raw power to ignite the passion of sports car enthusiasts.

Though technically excellent, the 1st-generation NSX built from 1990-2005 was seen by many as lacking soul and character, and it never sparked the same level of passion exhibited by drivers of other high-dollar exotic cars -- something Honda officials are keenly aware of.

The NSX will feature a direct-injected V-6 engine, dual-clutch transmission and a body made of lightweight materials. Making all of this engaging to the driver, Klaus said, is a top priority.

Hmmm... the most hope inspiring comment I got out of it was that they wanted to leverage the S2000. This new NSX doesn't really thrill me.... :/

Porsche 911 or NSX? tough decision..., but I rather be driving the new NSX if the price is the same. The new NSX interior is just beautiful.

Nice share, thanks! :cool:

Here's more of the interview: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...ffordable-ferrari-fighter-chief-engineer.html

This below had me chuckle a bit... :D

"Torquey?" :confused:

May be revvy? peppy? anxsy? Torquey doesn't come to mind!

Agreed, but I think they are making a relative statement. It was torquey relative to cars of that era. Even Senna remarked about the good low-end pull the car had after he did that test drive around Suzuka. I never thought of the NSX having good low-end pull, but then again, I don't peel out leaving 10ft of rubber on the ground like Senna.

As for the next NSX, I think it's DOA in terms of being a revolutionary car. Everyone is playing the hybrid game, except they are all doing it with V8s with more power. The NSX is already going to lose in terms of performance.

SHAWD? I love it. I think it's great. But it's not going to be a game changer or do anything to help the NSX against the Euro counterparts.

The styling is great, but Honda seems to be borrowing from Audi's R8 and Aston now, instead of Ferrari back with the first NSX. The shape is very cutting edge now, but I don't think it will end up as classic as the first NSX (which is timeless imo).

To top everything off, they won't offer it with a manual. This car is going to be a techno hybrid, and not going to feel anything like the raw car we have now. We got lucky.

If anyone has seen Chris Harris drive/review the Porsche 918 Spyder, you know what to expect with the NSX (except it won't be as good as the 918). In sum, he liked a lot about it, and took a while to learn how to drive it; but in the end, he thought all the tech compromised the car.

Last edited:
If anyone has seen Chris Harris drive/review the Porsche 918 Spyder, you know what to expect with the NSX (except it won't be as good as the 918). In sum, he liked a lot about it, and took a while to learn how to drive it; but in the end, he thought all the tech compromised the car.

So we want to compare a car that is reportedly over 800k to one that will be between 90k-180k ? ok

So we want to compare a car that is reportedly over 800k to one that will be between 90k-180k ? ok

That's not what he is saying. But the overall car concept is the same just significantly scaled down from the 918. Very good car, extremely capable but you never get the feeling the car needs you or your skills to be able to go fast. Whether its 800 grand (918 spyder) or 110 grand (gt-r) the feeling is similar with these extremely technical cars without manual transmissions.

Saying they cannot out-muslce a corvette worries me a lot. With 3 electric motors and a v6, you better be able to do better than a C7 with 1 engine using push-rod technology. -- otherwise what is the point? -- hell, the pushrod will STILL probably get better gas mileage.

If the NSX in 1997 had gone to a 3.5L 350HP engine instead of 3.2 L 290, a lot more people would have paid it attention. Hope they don't make the mistake of yet another underpowered supercar.

Saying they cannot out-muslce a corvette worries me a lot. With 3 electric motors and a v6, you better be able to do better than a C7 with 1 engine using push-rod technology. -- otherwise what is the point? -- hell, the pushrod will STILL probably get better gas mileage.

If the NSX in 1997 had gone to a 3.5L 350HP engine instead of 3.2 L 290, a lot more people would have paid it attention. Hope they don't make the mistake of yet another underpowered supercar.

I am certain it will be much faster than a standard C7 in a straight line, and probably close to or faster than a Z something version. It will guaranteed feel better, respond better, and be faster around turns by a pretty good shot. Most cars are using old technology for cornering. I think the is where the NSX will shine. We've already seen the GTR do outstanding at corner exit speeds, just using technology. There is still more to be had. I will bet the new NSX will set standards in terms of handling. Super light weight, individual vectoring of each wheel, instant torque, low center of gravity, mid-engine, short wheelbase... can't you see? the ingredients are all there Dave. This thing is going to shoot into corners, grip like nothing else and fly out of the corner so fast it's going to eat lesser cars for lunch. Really, good luck to other cars trying to keep up with the NSX in corners. Even a mighty GTR will fall, too much weight, too high a center, too big. The NSX is going to be a small fast Ninja. It's going to slice you in half before you've said hello.

Last edited:
I agree, 4WD is the future like the GT-R have shown, and electric torque is a huge potential yet to be exploited. Combine these two in a mid engine package with whatever clever trick technology Acura/Honda have been hiding and the result could be amazing. Lets hope Acura doesn't half ass it and put 100% of everything they've got into it.

I am certain it will be much faster than a standard C7 in a straight line, and probably close to or faster than a Z something version. It will guaranteed feel better, respond better, and be faster around turns by a pretty good shot. Most cars are using old technology for cornering. I think the is where the NSX will shine. We've already seen the GTR do outstanding at corner exit speeds, just using technology. There is still more to be had. I will bet the new NSX will set standards in terms of handling. Super light weight, individual vectoring of each wheel, instant torque, low center of gravity, short wheelbase... can't you see? the ingredients are all there Dave. This thing is going to shoot into corners, grip like nothing else and fly out of the corner so fast it's going to eat lesser cars for lunch. Really, good luck to other cars trying to keep up with the NSX in corners. Even a mighty GTR will fall, too much weight, too high a center, too big. The NSX is going to be a small fast Ninja. It's going to slice you in half before you've said hello.

I am certain it will be much faster than a standard C7 in a straight line, and probably close to or faster than a Z something version. It will guaranteed feel better, respond better, and be faster around turns by a pretty good shot. Most cars are using old technology for cornering. I think the is where the NSX will shine. We've already seen the GTR do outstanding at corner exit speeds, just using technology. There is still more to be had. I will bet the new NSX will set standards in terms of handling. Super light weight, individual vectoring of each wheel, instant torque, low center of gravity, mid-engine, short wheelbase... can't you see? the ingredients are all there Dave. This thing is going to shoot into corners, grip like nothing else and fly out of the corner so fast it's going to eat lesser cars for lunch. Really, good luck to other cars trying to keep up with the NSX in corners. Even a mighty GTR will fall, too much weight, too high a center, too big. The NSX is going to be a small fast Ninja. It's going to slice you in half before you've said hello.

.....put down the can of cool whip.....

Back