• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom built OEM-style NSX replacement stereo

On the web site, top of page, first row and last column of table, cmon wakeup :)

Great idea and implementation. Do wonder why he put the USB port and Aux In over the joy stick control. Seems it'd been just as easy to remote it to the other side.

It seems that some people are still seeing a cached version of his webpage. He recently posted the text below to his website. It answers a few of the questions that people have asked.

Common Questions:

Why replace OEM when we agree staying original is best?
We have seen many times the same experience of owners wanting to be repaired and wanting to buy a good unit and seen it not work out, over and over. Sellers saying that the unit works and buyers spending several hundred and finding out it doesn't work, yes they get refunded but much hassles, especially when they spend another $500 and it happens twice, still not working. We totally understand wanting to keep the NSX original. However, the manufacture isn't offering repairs, even though they will tell you to send it in, they come back unrepairable. I've seen owners 8 months out and still unable to solve the problem of a bad OEM headunit.

The goal was to build a unit that can just plug in and mount the exact way that the old OEM stereo came out, nothing additional to purchase or do. Also, it was important that the dash did not have to be cut or modified in any way. That way a person could always go back to an OEM stereo if they wanted. It was a bit of a puzzle to accomplish this but we feel it is a good solution, for many needing a good solution.

Display Color
The display color is the biggest issue, currently it is blue. We tried to do an orange one, it looked perfect on the bench so I updated the video on the website to show it. Sent it to CA for that owner and it was too dim of display to see when in the car. I was surprised but learned something new again. We are putting that display back to the blue for that owner who purchased blue but I tried to surprise him because orange is obviously best. There currently isn't an answer for the display color. If it's easy to do (that's been said) then I am open to suggestions as my many attempts haven't worked.

USB/AUX Port
The USB and AUX are where they are because that is the only place that they fit (they are mounted to a circuit board). The right side was first choice but didn't fit there or on the tape deck door.

PRESETS
The presets are dead on the radio. The remote has 6 presets for FM1, FM2, FM3, and AM which are very user friendly, press and hold to set.

PRICING
Current price: $750 + shipping ($25. In US).
Rebuilding your core is $200 in material and $550. in labor (16-20 hours). As with everything that I have done for the 25 years doing car stereos, there is a 12 month warranty.
HD radio is an add on at $125.00 or can be purchased elsewhere (plugs into rear connection).

Note: This is a custom hand build unit, not a manufactured product. I'm not going to be able to make dozens and even a few will make the wait time extend, so plan some time in advance, not the week before your road trip - sorry - that just won't work.

Additional Information:
For those in other parts of the world know that the radio frequency cannot be changed so be sure same tuning as the US, if any doubt, check video again.
I have a list of owners that want to be sent an email whenever there is new info or an updated unit. Email me and I’ll add you if you want those notifications.
I will also update the website here with any new information; http://www.willmanselectronics.com/nsx_sales.htm

My oem radio died recently. Just wondering if there is anybody here that has feedback from the updated radio by williams. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Strongly considering....I will need for it to work with the nav pod though.

Some of the updated center consoles definitely look nice with navi, etc. However, when I see people just replacing HU's, it looks completely out of place. This is a great idea for those who want the OEM look. I def am interested.

This is why there is no such thing as a pre-made double din dash panel! I always tell people each radio has to be built for the dash, not "universal" such as the SOS piece.

Lets us know what you think DocL. I keep eyeing this, but I want a stock radio still.

If any of you have any doubt about doing business with Willman's, don't worry for one second. His communication with me has been nothing short of stellar. He just emailed me, at 9:15pm, to let me know he's working on my radio.

For those of you attending NSXPO, make sure to find my car to see it in person.

Last edited:
I purchased a modified radio last week from him to install in my '93. Should have it installed and functioning in three weeks or so. I conducted business with this firm about 5 years ago (amp replacement) and the custiomer service was and remains stellar.

I chose to buy this radio since I'm in the middle of an update to the car before it goes for sale, I didn't want to be disappointed in buying a used radio, I wanted to upgrade to a modern system that utilizes current technology, I can keep the stock look of the interior, and many forum readers have talked about having a used unit fail later in time. The cost appears pricy but after you consider the add-ons needed to use wireless technology, and your personal time to make it happen, the asking price seems reasonable.

I do wish that there was a way to refresh the printing on the radio face/buttons. Anyone have an idea on this?

Last edited:
Got mine today and gave it a test run. Sounds great!!! Now I have to get used to having a modern amenities like bluetooth, handsfree, and USB while still looking like a 1980's tape deck. :D

I'm going to be at NSXPO and will be happy to demo it for anyone who is interested.

Last edited:
Got mine today and gave it a test run. Sounds great!!! Now I have to get used to having a modern amenities like bluetooth, handsfree, and USB while still looking like a 1980's tape deck. :D

I'm going to be at NSXPO and will be happy to demo it for anyone who is interested.

I would like to see it for sure!

I purchased a modified radio last week from him to install in my '93. Should have it installed and functioning in three weeks or so. I conducted business with this firm about 5 years ago (amp replacement) and the custiomer service was and remains stellar.

I chose to buy this radio since I'm in the middle of an update to the car before it goes for sale, I didn't want to be disappointed in buying a used radio, I wanted to upgrade to a modern system that utilizes current technology, I can keep the stock look of the interior, and many forum readers have talked about having a used unit fail later in time. The cost appears pricy but after you consider the add-ons needed to use wireless technology, and your personal time to make it happen, the asking price seems reasonable.

I do wish that there was a way to refresh the printing on the radio face/buttons. Anyone have an idea on this?

http://stickynomore.com/
Here's a service someone posted a while ago that does this (I haven't had any experience with them).

Look for me at NSXPO. I have a Red NSX! LOL. :biggrin:

I have a Florida plate NSXLR8.

For us international guys, would you maybe have the time to make some pictures? is the sound quality similar to the oem unit?

Best regards Bas

For us international guys, would you maybe have the time to make some pictures? is the sound quality similar to the oem unit?

Best regards Bas

I don't think it will work on the European radio frequency. The sound so far is good enough for me. My days of spending thousands of dollars on automotive stereo's are a thing of past. If you want an OEM look, you can still add amps and speakers to this head unit as it has pre-outs built in. It's truly a work of art.

Click on the link and scroll to the bottom of the page for a video of the conversion to the radio. http://www.willmanselectronics.com/nsx_sales.htm

I don't think it will work on the European radio frequency. The sound so far is good enough for me. My days of spending thousands of dollars on automotive stereo's are a thing of past. If you want an OEM look, you can still add amps and speakers to this head unit as it has pre-outs built in. It's truly a work of art.

Click on the link and scroll to the bottom of the page for a video of the conversion to the radio. http://www.willmanselectronics.com/nsx_sales.htm

What fm band do you guys have? We have 88 => 106 i believe.

Thanks again for replying! Until now i only see 1 downside being the blue display..

hey docL..i spoke to daryl last week he is a great guy and seems to be honest to a fault..i have a spare head unit and a broken one i was going to send him to retrofit for me and my brother...i will still have the newer unit that is in car now if i ever want to go back to stock or if something better comes along...i would like to know how the sound is compared to the original set up..also with having it a few days now what is your impression of having the blue screen instead of the factory orange..i spoke with daryl at length about the orange vs blue and the one he did in orange did not seem satisfactory to him...but he was waiting for feedback from the local guy he sold it to to see if he wired it wrong that it was too dim and he might think that is wired like when you turn on headlights and the dash lights dimm...he was waiting to here back from him...love the new technology and the original look of set up...also do you find that you use remote more than the joystick like knob...would love your honest feedback before i decide to move ahead...thanks for your time

I was seriously thinking about going this route with the one I sent to Daryl. Great guy by the way (which reminds me, I need to call him today and give him CC info since my other card was compromised), but I ended up being a cheapass and deciding I am going to go with a single DIN aftermarket deck in the glove box while retaining the factory one in the center console (unused). I was fortunate enough to have found another factory deck for dirt cheap from a local who previously owned an NSX that was in better aesthetic condition than the one I sent Daryl. Now, it does work - but the question is "for how long?". I don't use it when I drive the car (never leave town, or for very long), but it is filling the hole in the dash for now. The single DIN unit is going to be just a "media Center", since I always stream music from my phone via Pandora or SiriusXM (I practically live in my work truck) and have the same deck in it. It'll run me about $220 since I'll do the install myself. I can't bring myself to damage a factory center console, nor do I want to spend a small fortune for an aftermarket one - as I said, I was being cheap, lol. That's money that can go toward suspension, wheels/tires, or anything else that can improve the driving experience (why I bought the car in the first place!)

Anyway, I'll have Daryl send mine back to me, then will probably put it up on Ebay for cheap so if someone wants this mod done, they can buy it as that was the point it was at (not repairable in factory form).

Last edited:
I've been getting a lot of questions about my opinion of the conversion. So instead of replying to each PM separately I'll give my unbiased review here.

First, Daryl is an exceptional person. There aren't too many honest individuals like him on this planet.

Second, the overall appearance and workmanship is excellent. Your head unit will come back in the exact same condition as you sent it, just with new internals and more wires coming out the back.

Third, I have not really had a chance to listen to the system. I've only turned it on for about five minutes to see if worked and to pair my phone with the Bluetooth. I assume is will only sound as good as the OEM "No highs. No low's. Must be Bose!!!" speakers. LOL. I did just have my amps rebuilt by BrianK, so I'm sure it will sound good.

Fourth, I will be getting a lot of use out of the stereo starting tonight when I embark on my trip to NSXPO. I assure everyone that my honest opinion will be posted. Plus I'm sure there will be other people at NSXPO who will sample the stereo and post their opinion.

To me this is not an expensive option to having a system installed. If you add up the cost of new speakers, custom center console, new head unit, amps, and labor, I assure you this is a cheaper option that still looks 99% stock. I'm pretty sure no one who sees the stereo on first glance who is not familiar with the OEM stereo will notice a thing. It's a sleeper which is the most appealing to me.

I can now give a good report on my overall impression of this conversion.

The Pro's:

1) Excellent fit and finish. Installs just like your OEM stereo.
2) Sounds great to my ears. I probably need to tweak the user settings a little bit but I'll probably not do so because it sounds good out of the box.
3) Bluetooth is easy to set-up and use. I was able to listen to XM Radio streaming through my phone.
4) I-Pod/USB port is great to have and can be used with an Android phone. It also serves as another charger for your device.
5) Blue screen isn't too much out of place and can be seen well.
6) Very easy to use basic/main functions.
7) Multiple RCA connections on back of unit to allow for expansion in future. Has pre-out if you want to connect amp, etc...
8) Having handsfree phone is safer than holding your phone while trying to drive. It also sounds very clear.

The Cons:

1) Takes a little getting used to because it looks the same but functions completely different.
2) Joystick function is tricky, but that's how it operates from Clarion.
3) If you don't have playlists set up on I-Pod, scrolling for songs is a pita. Not a problem with the stereo, but is a result of not setting up I-Pod correctly like me.
4) No user ability to dim the light output of the screen.
5) Antenna stays up all the time when radio is on. I just unplugged the power in the trunk. You can also install a cutoff switch.
6) Bluetooth mic is useless due to engine/cabin noise. You can install an external mic which I plan to do in future.

Overall I am extremely happy with this option. I did not have to spend thousands of dollars buying a headunit, amps, speakers, new center console, and labor. It's truly a plug and play system and it sounds good to me.

I hope that those of you who saw it at NSXPO liked how it looked and sounded.

Last edited:
Back