• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom built OEM-style NSX replacement stereo

As a long time electronics hobbyist I am most impressed by this. The idea of rebuilding the guts of the OEM unit never entered my mind. The price seems reasonable to me for the effort required.

Does anyone know what brand the new guts are? I cannot tell by looking at the display.

I see that it comes with HD Radio; does it include an antenna? If not what is the reommended replacement? Very impressed!

As a long time electronics hobbyist I am most impressed by this. The idea of rebuilding the guts of the OEM unit never entered my mind. The price seems reasonable to me for the effort required.

Does anyone know what brand the new guts are? I cannot tell by looking at the display.

Those beeps and menu options remind me of some old Pioneer head units I've had.

Can someone post a picture of the cabin at night with this upgraded stereo? I wanted to see how the colors of stereo lights compare with the stock orange/red hue.

Thanks.

I'll answer these last few questions even though I no longer my NSX with this radio.

The internals are a Clarion head unit as I previously mentioned. It does not have a HD or SAT radio, however it has connectors for you to plug in either of the two aforementioned options. It does not match the color of OEM interior lights. It has a Blue LCD screen and none of the original lighting on the OEM Bose work.

I was extremely impressed with the overall build quality and it sounded great. It is probably the best double din option if you don't want to cut up your center console and go with a full custom build.

Well, I've been stalling, but my OEM head unit finally shot craps this week. It went to the "awesome light show" but "no sound" mode. So it's coming out and going to Daryl Willman this week for the retrofit. Will report when I get it back.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised at no pics of this very useful mod. I just bought my NSX and will be purchasing this device...even though my head unit works just fine. I'd rather just replace as I haven't used a cassette in 26 years, or a CD in over ten years. Further, multiple jurisdictions in my region mandate hands-free phone usage.

Since I'll be storing my car for the winter shortly, I'll have plenty of time for the builder to get it done. I'll be sure to post pics when he deed is done.

I'm really surprised at no pics of this very useful mod. I just bought my NSX and will be purchasing this device...even though my head unit works just fine. I'd rather just replace as I haven't used a cassette in 26 years, or a CD in over ten years. Further, multiple jurisdictions in my region mandate hands-free phone usage.

Since I'll be storing my car for the winter shortly, I'll have plenty of time for the builder to get it done. I'll be sure to post pics when he deed is done.

If you need to see what it looks like, check the video in this link: http://www.willmanselectronics.com/nsx_sales.htm But it looks just like the OEM until it's turned on.

I'll post photos of mine as soon as I get it back and installed. Should be about 2 more weeks.

Pretty amazing since this is what he starts with, a Clarion M502.

Attachments

• M502-US_01.jpg
    M502-US_01.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
I saw the video a few days ago, having independently found Willman's site, it was great! Just want to see it installed. :)

Thanks for the extra technical detail, that's really helpful too.

Can't wait to get this in my car. Will have to do the (minor, looks easy) surgery to remove my radio and send it in.

You'll want to call Daryl first; the Clarion unit is out of production, not sure how many more he has? I think he's looking for a replacement.

Pic for ya...

It's fine..better frequency response than original.
mt8g3k.jpg

could be better in some area's and I'm sure it will be.

It's a cost worthy solution..thx Daryl

I purchased a non working stock NSX radio for cheap and sent it in to Daryl last week. Hoping to see it transformed in the next few weeks.

I purchased a non working stock NSX radio for cheap and sent it in to Daryl last week. Hoping to see it transformed in the next few weeks.

That's swell..

now, if you are going to DYI,

be careful not to scratch your bezel when removing upper ac vents. Pita to get out clean.

I put two micro nics in the top of my prestine bezel and wanted to hang myself.

It over laps bezel so if you pry it out wrong will make contact..slide some tape in there. use suitable tool

Anyhow..back to thoughts of death.

2yttv2x.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos Spooler! Hope to have mine back by the end of next week, can't wait to get it all back together. I'll be pulling the CD player and associared wiring from the trunk at the same time. Hoping my OEM speakers are still working and adequate.

If I find a non-working radio can Daryl work his magic? Inwant to keep my working OEM radio.

If I find a non-working radio can Daryl work his magic? Inwant to keep my working OEM radio.

Yes. Daryl replaces the entire guts of the radio.

This is what I've done and I plan to keep my working stock radio.

Yes. Daryl replaces the entire guts of the radio.

This is what I've done and I plan to keep my working stock radio.

Thanks that should save me time and money.

Mine arrived yesterday and I hope to install over the weekend. I'll get some detail pics first. Merry Christmas to me :->

Aaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnddddddddd... the speaker amps were shot too. Rebuilts will be here Monday, and adding tweeters while it's all apart. More later...

If anyone's interested, here's what's at the back of Willman's unit. OEM Bose connector, RCA outputs, both antennae connectors, mic connector, wired remote connector (it comes with a wireless remote), Sirius connector and USB connector.

Attachments

• HU1.jpg
    HU1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Yea,

the first thing I did was cut and cap all those RC outputs off cause I knew i would never use them plus, having them just laying in there could cause ratttle and just not tidy.

I called daryl and told him and he said No lol...could cause short...but it's been fine

Last edited:
Back