• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom built OEM-style NSX replacement stereo

First of all I want to say that I have no monetary interest in this product. I am just putting this out there as an FYI for people that might be looking for this kind of solution.
I did work a little with Mr. Willman on this product. I gave him suggestions for improvements as he was creating this product and he may still be finalizing it.

If you’re like me and want to keep your NSX close to OEM, then the idea of replacing the OEM head unit with an aftermarket unit is very unappealing.
Unfortunately, the OEM head units will continue to fail due to age and the cost of a new one is extreme and getting used ones is a crap shoot.

This solution uses a failed OEM head unit and replaces the guts with modern components but keeps very close to an OEM look.
Most non-NSX people would think it was OEM.

The upgraded head unit requires no other changes to car. It fits in the same space and uses the same connectors.

There are two videos and information about the unit on his website (scroll down):
http://www.willmanselectronics.com/nsx_sales.htm

I do not know if he has set the final price of the product, but I'm sure he will get back to you if you contact him.

This looks really compelling. I'm not a huge fan of how the volume/power button rotates all the way around and I'm a little confused about why the tape is now completely non-working and the buttons aren't used or programmable for anything else. That said, it does do quite a bit while remaining subtle. Any pricing information?

Just emailed them for price, looks very promising :)

This is really revolutionary, I think he will sell a lot of these.

Guys the reason the buttons don't work is that the radio is gutted and a parrot is installed in there. He's done an amazing job...

He needs to make the display red. It's not difficult. Then he really has something.

Get ready for a 50 page thread...

Last edited:
He is working on the display color. The first video show it in orange. There is at least one guy that has one in his car and he thought the orange was to dark to see during the day.

+1 on all points. LOL especially the last!

This is really revolutionary, I think he will sell a lot of these.

Guys the reason the buttons don't work is that the radio is gutted and a parrot is installed in there. He's done an amazing job...

He needs to make the display red. It's not difficult. Then he really has something.

Get ready for a 50 page thread...

Very promising. Personally, I prefer the USB and the RCA inputs on the ride side or even where the tape deck port is to avoid interfering with the joy knob - and eliminate non-operative features.

if he can find a way to make use of now dead buttons, like the pre-set buttons that would be great; it minimized playing with the knob to find a station, or some of the other functions. Perhaps these are not doable if the entire electronics is contained with the joy knob.

This is really nice. Here are a few suggestions to make this a home-run product:

Make sure all the buttons & display match the factory color
Have a rear aux input (for us navpod guys)
Keep the price <$500

Once you get that done, start a group buy and get ready to be overloaded for a few months! :wink:

Last edited:
Very promising. Personally, I prefer the USB and the RCA inputs on the ride side or even where the tape deck port is to avoid interfering with the joy knob - and eliminate non-operative features.

if he can find a way to make use of now dead buttons, like the pre-set buttons that would be great; it minimized playing with the knob to find a station, or some of the other functions. Perhaps these are not doable if the entire electronics is contained with the joy knob.

Hrant anything can be done, but how much do you want to pay? To do what you are asking requires a complete re-engineer of both the old and the new guts. He is not Sony, he isn't going to be able to then mass produce such a unit for a reasonable price. He has GUTTED the internals. Those preset buttons are probably glued back on the face. To get those functional is a monumental task.

Hrant anything can be done, but how much do you want to pay? To do what you are asking requires a complete re-engineer of both the old and the new guts. He is not Sony, he isn't going to be able to then mass produce such a unit for a reasonable price. He has GUTTED the internals. Those preset buttons are probably glued back on the face. To get those functional is a monumental task.
Retaining the preset buttons is almost redundant since the preset functionality is already retained in the volume knob/ joystick. I'd be interested in one for my NSX and one for my Legend.
Very promising. Personally, I prefer the USB and the RCA inputs on the ride side or even where the tape deck port is
Since the tape deck door probably is vestigial that would make a lot of sense!

Last edited:
Want to see how big the remote is? Also like everyone else stated change the color of the display. I am not a big fan of the volume knob turning when you turn the knob, but I guess if I had the remote at an easily accessed, place I would be fine with that. Pricing???? Anyone get an update on pricing?

Last edited:
Anyone ever get pricing? I was going to shoot them an e-mail when I get back.

sweet mother of god, exactly what I've been looking for.

I've been dreading having to shell out a grand for a center console and a oem deck (that was probably defective anyway) only to lose features from the aftermarket one that came with the car when I bought it, this is definitely the middle ground.

sweet mother of god, exactly what I've been looking for.

I've been dreading having to shell out a grand for a center console and a oem deck (that was probably defective anyway) only to lose features from the aftermarket one that came with the car when I bought it, this is definitely the middle ground.

Indeed it is. Keep the stock look, but get current technology. If you get pricing or any details, post them up.

I'd have to agree, this is a really good effort to bring new features to our old stereo form factor.

Get the display color and button lighting like OEM and I'd consider it (with a donor OEM radio)

Call me an modern guy who appreciate vintage cars for what it is, VINTAGE! NSX is not vintage though....

We've done many stereo installs for older cars where the owner purposely wants the stock look but with modern guts. But this is because they have vintage classic cars. I do not believe our NSX falls into this category for another 50 years! There are companies that make such radios if you poke around the net but again this is for classic cars.

But my question as a NSX owner is if you are going spend all this effort to improve the car, why keep that outdated deck with cassette player. For me if I was going to upgrade, it would have a state of the art look with no budget constraints if it was for my NSX.

My 2 cents is I appreciate his hard work but definitely not for me.

I saw no pricing on the web page.

Where are you seeing the price at on the page?? I can't find it LoL. I just see contact for pricing at the bottom.

Back