• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom built OEM-style NSX replacement stereo

The retrofit is really well done, and the stereo looks great and sounds great. The only thing I don't care for are the controls, to the point that I don't use it much once I'm driving. The "joystick" knob is touchy, and there's a difference between long pushes and short pushes, and I find the interface and working through the menus frustrating. I mainly use the remote to control it, because it's easier to use than the joystick, but I get things where I want them before I start driving because it's a pain to switch from bluetooth to radio while driving. The bluetooth is great though - no need to use the USB connector to access your music from your phone. I really only use it on longer drives because of all this; maybe it's just me but I find it too distracting to operate in local or city traffic or during short trips. However there really is no other option if you want a permanent fix for a working stereo that still looks OEM, and Daryl Willman does a great job and is awesome to work with. I'd do it again even given the limitations.

Last edited:
Mine should be on its way back hopefully shipped today. I hope to have it in my hands by the upcoming long weekend to install it and play with it. So looking forward to it. I'll report back after I've had a chance to use it.

Mine should be on its way back hopefully shipped today. I hope to have it in my hands by the upcoming long weekend to install it and play with it. So looking forward to it. I'll report back after I've had a chance to use it.

Installed it this afternoon. How to operate it is going to take some getting used to; controls are not necessarily intuitive but seat time should take care of that. As far as sound quality, it is very much better than the OEM head unit. I'm using it as a direct replacement for the head unit only, keeping the Bose speakers and their amps. I am very happy with the sound. I'll get used to the controls. So far I'm glad I did it and this feeling should only be further confirmed the more I use it.

Just in time to show it off next weekend at NSXCapades in Orlando!

I love mine, as well. I've had it for almost a year at this point and agree with what people are saying about it above.

I accidentally found an unexpected function while tracking at Sebring for NSXPO in November, though.

For my last track session, I accidentally left the radio on. Because I didn't turn my phone off, I started receiving phone calls via the BT system. In bst track fashion, I ignored the call. However, instead of going to voicemail, it automatically picked up the call after four rings! At that point I had to remove my hand from the steering wheel and touch the knob to cancel the call......a big no-no on the track!

Lesson learned: Never, ever, ever forget to turn off this radio before going on the track, if your phone is connected via BT. I didn't forget for the previous track sessions that day and had no issues, and had turned off my phone as well.

OK, so I have had more of a chance to evaluate this head unit. I am going to backtrack a bit on my comments related to the sound quality. Mid-bass and mid-range are a bit muddled. I am going to continue to play with the eq settings. There are four-five preset equalization settings and I found one I like best but needs tweaking. There is also a custom setting whereby I can set various frequencies. I'll try that but the damned controls are so confounding, I haven't yet tried.

In spite of these comments I would still recommend this unit. I like how it retains the OEM look. The bluetooth connection is a snap. I'm getting used to the controls but it's still not as easy as the OEM unit. But then again, electronics from new cars these days are all like that. Really a PITA to use (like in my '13 Tundra). I miss the days of simple buttons and dials. Too bad electronics these days are like running a desktop computer. Not a great thing when driving should be the primary focus.

Doug, the best way to use the updated radio is to just stream everything from your phone. That's what I did when I had mine.

Yes, Doc, I'm listening to my library, which is in iTunes format, from my iPhone. (Yeah, I know, it's not the best format. At home I have everything on my laptop in lossless FLAC5 format).

So, I went out to the garage, owner's manual in hand, and after a few minutes using the custom equalizer, edited out the murkiness in the midrange. MUCH better. I'm happy now. No, it's not as good as my home system (no car stereo can match an audiophile home system voiced to the room), but it's MUCH better than it was, and so, so, so much better than the OEM head unit.

So, if you have a dead head unit, as did I (I was using an OEM replacement head unit that worked but the display went dark about a year ago), this upgrade is definitely worth looking into. Now that I've got it more dialed in, I'm very glad I did it. I'm sure that with playing with it even more I can get it sounding even better.

Full agreement with all your comments Doug. In the end, there is no other way to get a permanent fix and retain the OEM appearance.

Back