• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long did it take your OEM coolant tank to start leaking

Can you guys please say how long it has been since you've changed your old coolant tanks with a new OEM tank. I'm afraid to buy another OEM tank because I keep reading posts of them continuing to leak/crack.

Mine was cracked when I bought the car last year. Its a 91. I would expect 20 years out of it if the conditions are right. I have no record of it being changed previously.

I think it depends on many factors, most notable is probably if you have the engine cover off and it gets exposed to the sun which degrades the plastic.

I never replaced mine because it never leaked. 22 years, 83K total miles, 13K actual racetrack miles. Still the original.

I replaced mine May 2012 at 60k, the replacement is holding up well.

replaced mine 1-2 months after I bought it. Replaced it w/ OEM... then everyone starts selling aftermarket coolant tanks.

Mine cracked at one of the bolts that holds it on but honestly it ran like that for some time before it was an issue. I think the OEM tank is pretty good actually.

Just bought a 99 w/67k and it is seeping at the seam

Last edited:
I replaced mine when I replaced all of the cooling hoses when my car was 15yrs old with 75,000 miles. I bought one from Dali and not only does it look great, but it's not plastic like OEM and should last forever.

I replaced mine after 15 years... there was the tiniest little droplet (seepage) that would form at the bottom outlet. Replaced it with an aluminum one (SOS). That was seven years ago.

First NSX bought in 2002, never leaked.
Second NSX bought in 2010 at 90K km, now at 142K km, never leaked so far.

Coolant tank is behind mesh engine cover, so it is exposed when parked. However, weather here is not as hot as in most of the US I think and that perhaps makes the difference.

that's right, I have a 1991 NSX with 198.000 km on it, as far as I know it's never leaked

Although I replaced the tank this year, it never leaked on my 91 NSX with almost 80K miles on it at the time.

Mine split earlier this year (on a 2000)... The tank was yellowed so it's safe to say the previous owner didn't have the targa cover on much.

Email sent.

I just replaced mine, not because it leaked, because it turned yellow and ugly.
'91 ~70kmiles.

Back