• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mode4 Ver2 Test Fit

Mode4 Ver2 Test Fit. Updated Installed Pics

A few weeks ago I got my Mode4 Ver2 bumper. I ordered the carbon fiber center bar as well. I had to wait until I finally got my 02+ lower lip to do a test fit. I wanted to make sure I did all modifications where needed and fitment adjustments before I took it into paint. Like any fiberglass bumper made for a hand built car, some minor adjustments were needed. Nothing major. Just a little sanding in the headlight bucket area to get the lines to match to my car better. Enlarging some predrilled holes to give me wiggle room to mount the hardware and 02+ lower lip. Most of the predrilled holes were real close, but I needed a little more wiggle room to get things to line up much better. Even the OEM bumper allows for some wiggle room adjustment so I don't see this as abnormal.

Over all right out of the box the bumper bolted up and fit very well. I would say many owners of other various other cars may simply have it painted and installed as is, but we NSX owners are much more picky so I did do some sanding and adjustments on my own. Any body shop could do it, but I spent a lot of money lately and I'm cheap so I wanted to do as must work as possible and just let my body shop guy to the minor finishing work and painting. So this is what it looks like unpainted, but with ALL mounting hardware installed. I have the aluminum brackets, foam insert, metal bumper beam, windshield washer tank, both horns all mounted. All bolts except for a couple plastic push tab clips are also installed. All bolts mounting the 02+ lower lip are also installed. Mounting the spoiler is where I had to fiddle with the predrilled mounting holes the most, but as you can see fitment is really good now.

Anyway, I just wanted to share. I'll update more pictures after I get it painted, but that may not be for a few more weeks. Like I said, I spent a lot of money on the NSX lately and I'm cheap and have no money left for paint right now :( Painting is a little on the expensive side here in Hawaii. My 02+ side skirts and door inserts cost me $600 to get painted, so I'm thinking at least that much or a couple hundred more to paint the bumper.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
Hey dude, I have been looking for a Mode4 bumper, but can't find anywhere I can order one.
Could you please let me know where you bought yours?
Thank you so much!

Dawg, that bumper is lookin dope yo!

Hey dude, I have been looking for a Mode4 bumper, but can't find anywhere I can order one.
Could you please let me know where you bought yours?
Thank you so much!

I was in on a special buy late last year. The topic has since been closed, but you can PM MODE4 to see if he can get you a bumper. If I can get in touch with him I'll see if he can contact you.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to try and get a quote today for paint hopefully. I sure hope it comes out less than $1,000 to paint and install.

Lookin good Chris!

Can't wait to see the end result.

THose colored playmats look a little trippy with the bumper on it:biggrin:

wow! so much want! if i were to replace my stock bumper.. this is the bumper i would pick up!

I'm excited. I'm dropping off my bumper at my body shop tomorrow. Earlier I brought my car with the bumper to him for an estimate. Seeing it already fitted on the car he was happy with the fitment. He does a lot of show cars in Hawaii so he has seen a lot of aftermarket body kits and bumpers. Many of them for Lexus cars like Junction Produce and such. All in all he thought the bumper was very well made, fit very well, and only needed a little work. The work needed is he will have to skim coat body filler to make sure the flat surfaces are perfectly flat. You can feel very slight waves on the top horizontal surface of the fiberglass, and being that my car is black that would stand out. My cost will be $1100. I'm not sure how that price compares to other areas, but in comparison to paint the 02 OEM door caps and side skirts cost me $600, so $1100 sounds reasonable for Hawaii prices. I could go to a cheaper body shop, but I know it will be done right and painted perfect at this shop. Pay once cry once.

Last edited:
I love love love this bumper! It really updates the front end, but you still get to keep the pop-ups, which just fit the car so well. We are all looking forward to finished pics!

Painted and Installed

Okay, this took a little longer than I thought to get painted. The body shop I took it to is a shop I use when I want price no concern quality work. He is one of the few top shops in Hawaii that many of the car show guys take their cars to for work and/or paint. His shop was really busy this past month so he had my bumper for about 4-5 week. I wasn't concerned because I knew it would come out great. I think the pictures give you a glimpse of that.

It was getting late evening and the sun was going down, so the pics may not be the greatest. It's a mix of iPhone 5 and my old DSLR. The red H emblem is just stuck on there temporarily so if you sharp eyed guy think it's crooked or in the wrong place I just eye balled it for the pictures.

I love the carbon fiber center bar. On my black car it's very subtle but when you look closely you see it's carbon fiber.

Don't mind the panels removed from my rear firewall. Since I installed the red TYPE R style carpet, I had the interior apart and was rerouting some audio cables and wires. I put everything back together and my car was sitting for about 2 weeks like that. I went to fire it up today and the starter was completely silent. I have a new battery on a battery tender so I thought I must have forgot to plug something in. I tore the rear panels off, checked all the fuses, broke out the electrical manual and was starting to diagnose the problem. Turned out to be my Clutch Interlock Switch. Amazing that it works perfectly 2 weeks ago and then just fails in an instant the very next time you try and start the car.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great, Chris! I really like the carbon fiber center bar. Your car has a lot of nice carbon fiber touches on the rear--the front bar carries that theme to the front. I love it. Out of curiosity, could you PM me the information for the shop that did your paint?

Thanks guys. I'm really happy with the way this bumper came out. It definitely bridges the gap between the 02 updates and the original bumper and lights. I'm really surprised at how well the flip ups match the 02 bumper looks. Too me at least, this bumper doesn't look aftermarket at all.

I want to put my Downforce Carbon Fiber side skirt splitters and then get some better pictures.

Looks nice indeed. I pretty much have the same by just cutting the center cross on an OEM one (and I put a nice full mesh). If I may suggest, angle the horns up so they aren't visually seen (it also helps with more air going to the radiator); and personally I like things to be as stealth as possible so I would remove the logo on aftermarket parts.

You definitely should get AC duct shields, and radiator duct would be nice. I have painted mine after taking the picture below ;-)

Attachments

• Lip.JPG
    Lip.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 551
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 566
Back