• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Kids' Day 2013 Caravan - July 23, 2013

We are getting closer to our annual outing where we make a bunch of amazing kids happy and they make us realize what is important in life. We have members coming from a variety of locations so if you are interested in being part of a caravan post up here so we can try to pair up as many cars as possible.

Although we are still finalizing our plans with the camp (in terms of timing and head count for dinner), our current goal is to arrive en masse at camp between 3:30 and 4:00 pm Tuesday July 23. We will do an informal car show on their lakeside lawn when we arrive and we encourage all kids to take turns sitting in the cars (accompanied by frenzied horn honking generally) so be forewarned that for these kids we don't put out velvet ropes like at some concours events - we are there for them and that includes giving them access to our cars at the camp.

I managed to take the day off and will be leaving from northern Westchester heading up to 684 and across 84 and then 17 outside of Middletown for the rest of the trip. Roger will probably be leaving from the White Plains area, heading over the Tappan Zee, up the Thruway and then onto 17.

There are several locations caravans could form:

1. in White Plains with Roger
2. between the Connecticut border and Middletown area on 84 with me
3. along 81 in for NJ and PA and 81 meets up with 17 in Binghamton

Various caravans could then join in the Binghamton area or even further along outside of Binghamton. We do make rest stops for bathroom breaks but do not stop for lunch along the way so pack something to eat/drink in the car and have a full tank of gas so we don't need to gas up until we get into town.

Ideally we should aim for arriving at the hotel to allow everyone to check in, drop the bags and then head up the camp as a group. A full caravan of NSXs arriving at the same time at the camp gate generally will get the kids' attention and makes a great start to the camp portion of the event.

So please post up your intended routes and we will do our best to coordinate the groups.

I'm a rt 81 guy up to 17.....

Bob, you might want to post up what time you're leaving and from where exactly. If nobody wants to meet in WP, I'll be leaving from my house and can jump on 684 very easily and meet up with you that way.

getting settled and making the camp run for arrival at 4 is aggressive..from what i remember the camp is 30-40 min out of the glen.

By settled I meant just drop bags and get a room key.

I am hoping to be at the 684/84 split by 10:30 ish

- - - Updated - - -

We should shoot for passing the 81/17 split in Binghamton by 1:00pm

...................roger that.........roger?

By settled I meant just drop bags and get a room key.

I am hoping to be at the 684/84 split by 10:30 ish

- - - Updated - - -

We should shoot for passing the 81/17 split in Binghamton by 1:00pm

Bob, even if others want to meet me at the W Plains spot, we can jump on 684 right there and meet you (rest stop?) easily.

For those that don't know,most people are staying at The Falls Motel 239 North Genesee Street Montour Falls, NY

Can you guys up north post a time and location "address" to meet at to drive up?

I will post up various spots and estimated times as soon as I can calculate a few different locations when we get a feel for launching points. At a minimum you should be in touch with DocJohn and try to meet up somewhere along 81 in PA before catching up with the rest of us.

I can't take the day off but will try to leave work early and get to the camp by 6:00 PM. I will skip checking in until after we get back from dinner.

Tytus

Porsche parking is way in the back.....:tongue:

I can't take the day off but will try to leave work early and get to the camp by 6:00 PM. I will skip checking in until after we get back from dinner.

Tytus
Don't rush!!!!!

Porsche parking is way in the back.....:tongue:

Do the kids really want to see a beetle?

RIDE NEEDED:

One of our members is unable to drive up but wants to come to Kids' Day with us. Does anyone have an open seat and would be willing to take a member from New Jersey up and back?

Will join the caravan at your 1 pm Binghamton 81/17 split point.

Jan plans to come along, but is having cataract surgery this Thursday. If for some reason she doesn't feel up to the trip next week, I would have a seat available for the ride up.

Ride secured. :smile: Thanks Bob.

We would like to meet @ usual stop Crossroads after TZ. What time?

Ride secured. :smile: Thanks Bob.

We would like to meet @ usual stop Crossroads after TZ. What time?

Glad to hear you can join us Rich.

I don't know who else is coming up from that route. I am not taking the TZB this time - heading from northern westchester and across 84 to 17 and believe roger is joining me.

As of right now the jersey area drivers are frank, sdufass and docjohn but dont know if they will be passing by crossroads.

I'll try to shoot for your 3 pm hotel departure time......won't know till that am.

The last time we tried to hook up with the 81 caravan at the 17/81 split outside of binghamton most gps' got drivers lost looking for the truck stop. As a result, the final meeting place for the caravans to hook up will be at the rest stop on 17 west about 25 miles outside of binghamton. This will be in place of the old rest stop meeting place so please stay on 17 at binghamton and pull into that rest stop.

This rest stop is between Exits 64 and 63 (numbers go down westbound) at milepost 221(http://www.upstatenyroads.com/i86.shtml) 81/17 "merge" outside binghamton is generally around milepost 245.

We will be leaving that rest stop at 1:30 pm. Please time your individual caravans accordingly. If any one group gets to that rest area earlier than 1:00 pm, you might as well head straight to the motel to check in rather than wait at the rest stop.

Last edited:
Back