• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

X-Chiller

I wanted to share my latest creation the X-Chiller. I just machined a casing for the new heat exchanger. This will be used to chill the water in my HE core or intercooler under my blower. I should see water temps in my cooler well below the outside temp. This can also be used to cool fuel so it will have many uses. I will keep everyone posted.
Ken

- - - Updated - - -

I have been trying to load photos but I keep getting bumped off.

Ken, I think you have my email. Email to me. I'll be happy to post the pics for you.

Edit: I'm not quite sure how it works yet but here you go Ken!

20130715_133654_zps47a91d07.jpg

20130715_143118_zps1117b281.jpg

20130715_143125_zps6d1ebaa1.jpg

Last edited:
Alright Thank you.
This is very similar to other chillers with the big difference being the insulated machined housing so it can be installed almost anywhere. It uses the Freon from the AC to cool the water that cools the intercooler.

This is used to chill water. I do not know how you cool your air but this will not work on air to air exchangers.

Alright Thank you.
This is very similar to other chillers with the big difference being the insulated machined housing so it can be installed almost anywhere. It uses the Freon from the AC to cool the water that cools the intercooler.
So you're implying the AC compressor has to be engaged/on for this to function?

There was a thread on this someone started a few weeks ago. I think the consensus was that people had mixed feelings about tracking your car with the AC compressor on. Maybe 1/4 mile was ok.

Someone post the thread. I can't find it.

I always wondered why dry ice could not be incorporated
into a unit like this for quick 1/4 mile times or track sessions.

I will be using both the HE and Chiller. This will have a switch so you can run AC or chiller or both. I would not track my car with AC running. This is for street use and will keep my air temps down. If drag racing yes you can use it up to the line. I see simular units being used on a lot of cars. Fords, Chevys, Jags and Merc
Ken

I will be using both the HE and Chiller. This will have a switch so you can run AC or chiller or both. I would not track my car with AC running. This is for street use and will keep my air temps down. If drag racing yes you can use it up to the line. I see simular units being used on a lot of cars. Fords, Chevys, Jags and Merc
Ken

Ok. You're turbo right? So you're running it between your heat exchanger and w2a inner cooler?

I,m SC but yes thats where it will go. I will have IC reservoir , Ic pump , heat exhanger, Chiller then Intercooler.

Someone asked about tracking the car with the ac on. I'm sure that when you go full throttle the AC compressor kicks off.

I wanted to share my latest creation the X-Chiller. I just machined a casing for the new heat exchanger. This will be used to chill the water in my HE core or intercooler under my blower. I should see water temps in my cooler well below the outside temp. This can also be used to cool fuel so it will have many uses. I will keep everyone posted.
Ken

- - - Updated - - -

I have been trying to load photos but I keep getting bumped off.

that's awesome!

I did some analysis awhile back and it indicated that a typical AC evaporator would be quickly overwhelmed by the amount of heat produced by the FI device at high loads (under boost). The BTU absorbing capacity is simply too low for the BTUs produced. Therefore, application as a direct heat exchanger (replacing the IC core) would never work.

However, it would work as a device to simply cool the IC water under light loads and help solve the problem of how to keep light load air temps from slowing raising the intercooler water temp. This makes the intercooler less efficient when you really need it, under boost.

Regarding IC water temp creep, I concluded that a simple pressure switch controlling the IC water pump might work. At light loads the water would not circulate, thus keeping the bulk of the IC water supply from seeing these higher temps and creeping up. On the other hand, this would raise the temp of the local water directly in the IC and to some extent down the feed and discharge hoses as well. The IC housing would soak at a higher temp also. Therefore, when the system sees boost and the water starts to pump it would initially need to overcome this higher soak temp before it could take advantage of the lower overall water temp.

That’s what scared me. This initial “soak down”, even if it only took 10 seconds, might be enough to promote some detonation. So I gave up on the idea. However, having the water cooled at light loads would definitely help intercooler efficiency, for a short time at least (probably 5 minutes or so under track conditions depending on the delta temp and water volume). Under your typical run and gun street conditions it might work pretty well, particularly if the high load periods are short and there’s time to dump some heat between boosted conditions.

It does come at a price (nothings free), as the AC will need to be on putting additional load on the engine. You’ll need to run the system for awhile under light loads to get the bulk water temp lower, the larger the reservoir the more time it’ll take. And you won’t be able to use the AC for cabin comfort, unless it’s a dedicated system. To get something a bit more “free” I was thinking about using exhaust gas temp to feed one of those old fashion refrigeration systems like those used on RVs running propane. It’s a pretty simple concept, just never got around to working the details.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,
Good input. I do not track the car and only get into it every once in a while. so this is perfect for me. I was seeing temps close to 150 degrees with about 15PSI of boost.
Now I run around 70 degrees air temps in 90 degree weather. Full throttle pulls are now around 120 to 130 degrees and cool down very fast compared to getting heat soaked and never really cooling down. It’s like anything else SC, Turbo it’s not for everyone. I do still run my water to air then goes through the chiller. I did build my own kit so the cost was about 300.00 total.
The cabin AC is fine.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,
Good input. I do not track the car and only get into it every once in a while. so this is perfect for me. I was seeing temps close to 150 degrees with about 15PSI of boost.
Now I run around 70 degrees air temps in 90 degree weather. Full throttle pulls are now around 120 to 130 degrees and cool down very fast compared to getting heat soaked and never really cooling down. It’s like anything else SC, Turbo it’s not for everyone. I do still run my water to air then goes through the chiller. I did build my own kit so the cost was about 300.00 total.
The cabin AC is fine.

So where is the compressed refrigerant coming from? I assumed that the housing contained a small evaoprator and expansion valve. Is there a valve that can divert the refrigerant from the cabin evaporator to the chiller, etc?

Also, I just got done mating a new Eaton TVS1900 (from Harrop in Aus) to my system. It's got the flow capacity to make over 650whp at 15psi. I've upgraded the fuel supply system quite awhile ago with a 255 pump and oversized fittings/hoses. I'll probably install a new pump relay to prevent voltage drops, but I think it's getting marginal at this level. What pump did you end up with on your system?

Mark.
IMG_0881.jpg

That's crazy awesome looking

I made two spacer fittings that go between the High and low pressure lines to the firewall. I also use an expansion valve in the line.
I went for the OEM look and wanted to store my Targa so low Profile was a must. The link has a photo its lower than the stock intake. Im around 635HP at the motor now If I add back in the 75HP it takes to spin the blower Im over 700HP.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/108710-Stroker-Club/page4?p=1594692#post1594692

Last edited:
I made two spacer fittings that go between the High and low pressure lines to the firewall. I also use an expansion valve in the line.
I went for the OEM look and wanted to store my Targa so low Profile was a must. The link has a photo its lower than the stock intake. Im around 635HP at the motor now If I add back in the 75HP it takes to spin the blower Im over 700HP.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/108710-Stroker-Club/page4?p=1594692#post1594692

Your supercharger is as big as my engine!!!! It would probably make over 12 PSI on my little 3.0 spinning at the same speed as the motor (1 to 1). That's BIG! I hope to make the same numbers with a much smaller 1.9L SCer. I'm still a bit unclear on your AC routing. From what you said I'm assuming that you are simply diverting a small amount of high pressure fluid to the second evaporator/expansion valve and then back to the condensers.

Mark.

AIT are now under 100 we dropped about 60 degrees with the X chiller. This was 149 degree with 12 psi now 100 degree with 16 psi.

- - - Updated - - -

I would post photos but cannot get them loaded.

Back