• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Battery current at rest

I recently purchased a Shorai Lithium Iron-Phosphate battery and have been doing some tests of the batteries capacity as discussed here.

Over the weekend I measured the battery drain current at rest using a storage multimeter to take a reading every 5 seconds for around 50 minutes after connection. As shown in the graph attached the current starts off at around 0.25A when the battery is first connected then eventually drops to about 100mA, but every 5 minutes the current rises to ~170mA for a period then drops back to 100mA.

I'm hoping someone else with stock NSX electricals has measured their current at rest. I have two questions
1) what was your steady state current draw?
2) did you see current spikes like on mine?

I'm keen to figure out if these spikes are the NSX ECU doing something every 5 mins, or it could be my non-OEM security system, or something else.

Attachments

• NSX battery current.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 25
100% stock NSX is around 60mA. I am at 69mA with a GROM iPOD adapter. You are a bit high. disconnect the security system and see what it drops to..

PS>> nice data logger..!

Thanks warrenw You've reminded me I have a GROM iPod adapter too .. another 9mA accounted for.

the "data logger" is actually this relatively cheap DIGITECH multimeter that I purchased recently. It can wirelessly upload to my PC where the software that comes with the meter can output a CSV file. $179 in Australia, probably much less in USA/Canada.

Last edited:
The spikes do suggest something like a security system doing periodic scans of all inputs.

As to the 100 mA vs 60 mA, you might try a current calibration test on your Digitech DMM. I would expect that meter to be quite accurate, but an unintentional current surge could have affected the current scale(s). (I've blown an ammeter or two over the years) For example, a 120 Ohm resistor (2W rating or higher) across the 12 V car battery (with the car off) => approx 100 mA.

Back