• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Had to get my NSX towed today...

So I've had this car for about a week, original post HERE, and my S2000 has just been sitting at my parents house since then. Today I finally had a chance to bring one of my friends that can drive manual out there so we can bring both cars back to where I live. On the way back I stopped to get gas, and when I went to start it, it started then died. I didn't think anything of it and tried starting again, same thing. I tried starting it and giving it some gas and that worked, it stayed running. I thought it might have been just some fluke and carried on.

Along the way, about 5 miles down the road, I thought it would be cool to stop infront of this store on RT522. When I tried to start the car up to maneuver it to a different photo position, it would start and just die, same thing that happened at the gas station. Now I was concerned. I tried multiple times but the same exact thing happened, just start and die. I thought to myself "It's getting gas, it's getting spark, cause it does start, but then it dies, maybe a sensor? relay?"

So I did what any of us would do, Google'd it! And low and behold, I found the answer on this forum! Ignition Switch, found in a thread here...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/152202-Car-starts-but-dies-after-1-second

I tried starting the car and leaving the key in the third position, it kept running! Progress! I tried slowly turning the key to in between the 2 and 3 spot, the car stayed running and the starter turned off. I then slowly went back to the 2 position and it immediately died. Thank goodness it's nothing major. Now turns to the task of getting it to my friends shop, 62 miles away. (thank goodness for Geico roadside assistance!) I trust him to work on this before just about anybody else, and I know if I take it to him that it would get fixed fast and wouldn't cost too much. I recommend this guy to anybody. His name is Nate and he owns a shop in Culpeper VA. Check it out HERE.

He ordered the part straight from Acura, and it was around $150. Labor will be about $150 to swap the parts out. While it's there, I've requested for him to give the car a once over, check out some stuff. I've got some vibration around 1500rpm, in which some people in THIS THREAD suggested checking the motor mounts and plugs.

Here are a ton of pictures of the entire ordeal...

Beauty shots

Tow hook in the front bumper

The NSX, slowly being winched up, trying not to scrape that front lip, and me of course, sportin green and plaid like a boss. lol

Some more pictures of the towing process

And here it is, at Nate's shop! If any of you are in the area near Culpeper Virginia, the NSX will be there till friday, yal should drop by, check out the shop, and say hi.

995792_3346456958454_899069663_n.jpg

Last edited:
Let me know when you will be picking up your car on Friday. I'll try to stop by.

Dave

Josh, I am thinking you should sell that NSX to me before something else goes wrong!!!!! My brother Dave (combatdad) keeps telling me red NSX's are faster??? And I think I need another one anyway.

Also - you better be bringing that beauty down to Raleigh for NSXPO in October.

John Komar - Co-Chair NSXPO 2013

Had that happen to mine early this year, I kept clicking it till it start and drove it all the way home. And $150 for the ignition switch..?? That price gouging.. bought mine early this year for $35 from the dealer.

Last edited:
Let me know when you will be picking up your car on Friday. I'll try to stop by.

Dave

Looks like I wont be able to pick up the car till monday morning, cause arranging for someone (roommates are busy sleeping, friends are unavailable, I gotta take a nap cause theres a big show to go to tonight in DC, and I work through the weekend) to take me out there is becoming a real hassle. So I won't be able to make it out there today. Oh well.

I am getting Nate to check a couple extra things though, like the motor mounts, and spark plugs, just to make sure everything is in order.

Last edited:
a big show to go to tonight in DC
What kinda show?

Sorry to hear about the troubles, but glad it is simple. Good call on the general review, always nice to do that before rolling too far with the car. Red is indeed the fastest color, that's been proven. A little know fact though is that the new formula for formula red that was made for the Zandardi is actually a *touch* faster than the old formula red, so the fastest NSXs are the Zandardis, a few other red 1999s and any other red after 2000 ;)

What kinda show?

Sorry to hear about the troubles, but glad it is simple. Good call on the general review, always nice to do that before rolling too far with the car. Red is indeed the fastest color, that's been proven. A little know fact though is that the new formula for formula red that was made for the Zandardi is actually a *touch* faster than the old formula red, so the fastest NSXs are the Zandardis, a few other red 1999s and any other red after 2000 ;)

Above & Beyond @ Echostage in DC

http://www.clubglow.com/dc-concerts-2/above-beyond-8-16-13-at-echostage/

Thanks man. I was happy to get any color NSX when I bought mine, but the more I think about it, red is an amazing color. It pops and looks like it's going fast when it's just parked. I love it.

Last edited:
Back