• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

APX Turbo

r71

Contributing Member
Man I sure hope those AEM gauges work. Because then I would have to send the gauges back to AEM. I'm praying the turbo works too. Cause then I would have to send the turbo back to Precision for warranty. Oh, and the what about the bolts? If the bolts break, I'm in trouble cause I don't know who manufactured the bolts. Who would warranty that? And the rubber hoses? Man I sure hope they hold up cause I don't know who made those either. Where would I send them too. But I really hope the welds hold up because I know exactly who to send those parts back to if they fail. The people who manufactured the stainless steel tubes of course. Or maybe the foundry. They're the one you manufactured the bad tubing that would have caused the welds to fail right. Just so you know, none of the parts that fail should be sent back to the place you actually bought it from, APX. Let me make it a little bit more clear. If you buy a new car from a dealer and your stereo goes out the first time you turn it on. You shouldn't take it back to the dealer. You need to take it out and send it back to Toshiba. After all they're the one who made the stereo, not the dealer right? Right?

Just so you know.

- - - Updated - - -

I am so sorry, I misinformed you. I was totally off base. What I said about the radio and the AEM is totally untrue. You actually have to send it back to Texas Instrument. They're the ones who manufactured the transistors. Faulty transistors will cause electronic parts to fail. But please, do not, I repeat, do not send it back to the place you actually bought it form, APX. He has nothing to do with your faulty parts. Absolutely nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

After being stranded on a dyno, I overnighted a new AEM FIC. It just got here, it's in, no issues. Basically the AEM I got from Wil was DOA. Anyone care to buy a AEM FIC that don't work? Oh, but don't send the bad AEM back to me for a refund. I know I know, I sold it to you but according to Wil, I am not responsible. Send it to AEM for repairs. Any takers? I'll let it go for $400. It's what I paid for the new on that got overnighted.

Man I sure hope those AEM gauges work. Because then I would have to send the gauges back to AEM. I'm praying the turbo works too. Cause then I would have to send the turbo back to Precision for warranty. Oh, and the what about the bolts? If the bolts break, I'm in trouble cause I don't know who manufactured the bolts. Who would warranty that? And the rubber hoses? Man I sure hope they hold up cause I don't know who made those either. Where would I send them too. But I really hope the welds hold up because I know exactly who to send those parts back to if they fail. The people who manufactured the stainless steel tubes of course. Or maybe the foundry. They're the one you manufactured the bad tubing that would have caused the welds to fail right. Just so you know, none of the parts that fail should be sent back to the place you actually bought it from, APX. Let me make it a little bit more clear. If you buy a new car from a dealer and your stereo goes out the first time you turn it on. You shouldn't take it back to the dealer. You need to take it out and send it back to Toshiba. After all they're the one who made the stereo, not the dealer right? Right?

Just so you know.

- - - Updated - - -

I am so sorry, I misinformed you. I was totally off base. What I said about the radio and the AEM is totally untrue. You actually have to send it back to Texas Instrument. They're the ones who manufactured the transistors. Faulty transistors will cause electronic parts to fail. But please, do not, I repeat, do not send it back to the place you actually bought it form, APX. He has nothing to do with your faulty parts. Absolutely nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

After being stranded on a dyno, I overnighted a new AEM FIC. It just got here, it's in, no issues. Basically the AEM I got from Wil was DOA. Anyone care to buy a AEM FIC that don't work? Oh, but don't send the bad AEM back to me for a refund. I know I know, I sold it to you but according to Wil, I am not responsible. Send it to AEM for repairs. Any takers? I'll let it go for $400. It's what I paid for the new on that got overnighted.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sorry that you do not understand but yes - without any doubt:

- If the turbo fails - it goes back to Precision for service

- If the AEM unit fails - it goes back to AEM for service

That being said, I can take the unit back and send it in myself too - but it is faster and simpler to send the unit in yourself.

Just about every other part (especially a part which is made my myself) is 100% covered by me and will be taken care of me personally, I and I think (I hope) everyone else here knows that without question.

From the horses mouth. You heard it folks. He sells you the parts but if they fail, go talk to someone else. Let me lay out the scenario. We finally got the tuning session scheduled at Top Speed in Atlanta. The car is on the dyno and the FIC doesn't work out of the box.
Wil's suggestion: Send the unit to AEM and let them fix it. How long will this take? 2 - 3 weeks maybe?
My suggestion: Send me one quickly, I 'll send this one back to you in the mean time. He "says" he doesn't have one. Ok, so let me fid one locally and you can refund the bad unit.

Wil refuses to refund the bad unit. I am not going to waste my time and money to tow the car back, and reschedule the tuning. I went ahead and overnighted a new unit. It's the most logical thing to do. Logic just don't seem to register in this case.

I can't believe he actually said take the shit somewhere else, even though he sold you the parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Give me a refund Wil, it's the right thing to do.

From the horses mouth. You heard it folks. He sells you the parts but if they fail, go talk to someone else. Let me lay out the scenario. We finally got the tuning session scheduled at Top Speed in Atlanta. The car is on the dyno and the FIC doesn't work out of the box.
Wil's suggestion: Send the unit to AEM and let them fix it. How long will this take? 2 - 3 weeks maybe?
My suggestion: Send me one quickly, I 'll send this one back to you in the mean time. He "says" he doesn't have one. Ok, so let me fid one locally and you can refund the bad unit.

Wil refuses to refund the bad unit. I am not going to waste my time and money to tow the car back, and reschedule the tuning. I went ahead and overnighted a new unit. It's the most logical thing to do. Logic just don't seem to register in this case.

I can't believe he actually said take the shit somewhere else, even though he sold you the parts.

Honestly, I don't think Wil's approach is unreasonable. He is not a large tuning shop that inventories. He is not blowing you off, he is trying to be realistically helpful indicating that if you send it to him, he sends it back to the manufacturer and in this case the process is quicker eliminating the double shipping and time. At the same time, if you can find one locally, return the bad one to AEM and have them give you a refund - or since time is not of the essence since you have a new one locally, send it to Wil and let Wil do the return and give you a refund. You knew he wasn't Best Buy or Wal-Mart when you purchased this, I think Wil is probably a pretty fair guy and will try to get you on the road and happy but you can't expect him to pull a rabbit out of the hat because your FIC was DOA. Shit happens, and if you are reasonable, I think the two of you can find a happy solution.

BTW: This really makes you sound like an immature, winy dick. Just calling it the way I see it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, wait til it happens to you.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way dick caller, I suggested the same thing what you just said, Wil said he wouldn't do that. So there you go.

Yeah, wait til it happens to you.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way dick caller, I suggested the same thing what you just said, Wil said he wouldn't do that. So there you go.

No.... I'm guessing you requested that you return the bad unit to Wil and he give you a refund. Correct?

What I believe Wil is suggesting is that you send him the unit, he returns it to AEM, they issue a refund to Wil and then he passes on that refund to you. Adds an extra step with Wil being the middle man. And quite frankly what do you care whether the refund come directly from AEM or from Wil. The unit was DOA, you bought a new one, and wanted to be credited with the DOA unit. I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

This part I mean"At the same time, if you can find one locally, return the bad one to AEM and have them give you a refund - or since time is not of the essence since you have a new one locally, send it to Wil and let Wil do the return and give you a refund."

He said he wouldn't do that. And how the hell is AEM going to refund me? I don't even know what I paid will for the unit. They're not going to give me a refund. I took the reasonable logical approach. I told Wil, I'll buy another unit locally and send him the bad one. When he takes care of it with AEM, he could refund me. I told him I'd wait. He said no. And if you can't take a little sarcasm and humor, well..., I'll leave it at that.

- - - Updated - - -

What the hell is wrong with you? You can't read? I told him I'd buy one locally. I would return the bad unit back to him. I'd wait until he settles things with AEM cause he's the one who bought it from them. When things settle he could then refund me. This was my first suggestion. He refused.

What the hell is wrong with you? You can't read? I told him I'd buy one locally. I would return the bad unit back to him. I'd wait until he settles things with AEM cause he's the one who bought it from them. When things settle he could then refund me. This was my first suggestion. He refused.

If that is what you suggested and he refused then I support you 100%. I think that is a reasonable and fair solution.

So Wil, would you reconsider and do what your champion CL65 says? He seems to know what's wrong and right. Can I send the bad unit back to you and put this thing to rest. Just refund me when you settle with AEM. I'm willing to wait.

I also agree with cl65, it's not like Wil sold u turbo kit and stop answer ur call or email. He helps u out every step of the way and tell u where to send it to get cover under warranty. U just kind impatient about the whole thing

At least that bad aem made itself known before you got too far. Imagine if it had caused you to blow your motor. $400 is peanuts in this game. That's probably the first of many unexpected expenses you are likely to encounter. While it sucks that it was DOA, it isn't the end of the world. Wil is a reasonable guy if you act the same way.

My car was strapped to the dyno overnight and needed a new fuel filter and pump.

Impatient.... Towed the car to dyno, that took over a month to schedule, ummmm... yeah, impatient. If you read, a reasonable solution was offered.

R71. Nice way to derail a thread and get into a public pissing match. I also had trouble with my AEM F/IC. I called Wil because it was over 1 year old and out of warranty.
He pointed me to Henry at AEM. I called and AEM was nice enough to warranty the unit. I had it back in my hand within 1 week.

FYI. I also fully tested my car BEFORE I had it towed to the DYNO. I put some miles on it never going into boost and made sure it started, idled and ran perfectly
with the stock injectors. The dyno shop installed the 02 and injectors, tuned it and I pulled 400hp no problem whatsoever.

Last edited:
People, I don't know what planet you live on or what kind of professionals you've been dealing with. This kind of transaction would never fly in my industry. I run an auto body shop. I've ran the shop for almost 30 years. If I fix your car and guarantee my work, I don't send you to someone else for the warranty. How can I replace a headlight, bumper, an airbag module, and tell you to go to GM for the warranty work because they made the parts. If a part I sold you don't work, you bring it back to me. I replace or refund it on the spot. I don't tell people wait until I get my money back from GM. I don't do that. I fix or refund it on the spot. Getting my money from GM is my problem. It's part of doing business. I've even conceded to wait. I shouldn't but I did. You guys really think it's reasonable for me to send the bad unit back to AEM for repairs, tow my car back, reschedule the tuning(another month out), wait for the new unit when I can just pick up another which is what I did?

- - - Updated - - -

kookoo, way to compare apples to apples there buddy. If you read, I offered a very reasonable solution. It wasn't public until the issue wasn't resolved privately.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote from Wil,

"I cannot accept that unit back, this is the standard policy regarding 3rd party products and many companies do the same - there have been others who have issues with AEM ecu's and AEM takes care of it no problem - just call them and they will take care of it.
I have already told you over the phone that I will not take the unit back (other than to have me ship it to AEM for you)"

So anything you get from him, if it's not something he made, don't send it back. Eventhough you bought it form him, he won't take it back! Hahahaah, I love it. I wish I could do that to my customers. I'd be rich.

Correct, there are many ways this could have been easily resolved - unfortunate.

I really don't have much else to tell but the customer service ended here when I was phoned up and called a motherf---er and other choice words.

Nobody needs that.

- - - Updated - - -

R71. Nice way to derail a thread and get into a public pissing match. I also had trouble with my AEM F/IC. I called Wil because it was over 1 year old and out of warranty.
He pointed me to Henry at AEM. I called and AEM was nice enough to warranty the unit. I had it back in my hand within 1 week.

FYI. I also fully tested my car BEFORE I had it towed to the DYNO. I put some miles on it never going into boost and made sure it started, idled and ran perfectly
with the stock injectors. The dyno shop installed the 02 and injectors, tuned it and I pulled 400hp no problem whatsoever.

This is the way I suggest that everyone do it - I mean it sure saves time and a lot of headache rather than strapping a car to the dyno without running and testing it.

As for AEM, they usually repair their electronics quickly and the process is similar to many other electronics companies - they repair or replace at their discretion.

You're right Wil, that was the first thing out of my mouth. Calling you mf'er. Way to tell the story.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you 4?

- - - Updated - - -

It wouldn't be American not to put the blame somewhere else and take responsibility.

- - - Updated - - -

Just spoke to AEM. Wil, you are not a distributor for them. only thing they can do is fix this one. So I will be stuck with a spare. I will need a receipt from you for purchasing the unit from you. If I take back calling you a m'fer, would you send me a receipt? Then I can sell it on here. I'm sure someone would buy it won't they?

You guys really think it's reasonable for me to send the bad unit back to AEM for repairs, tow my car back, reschedule the tuning(another month out), wait for the new unit when I can just pick up another which is what I did?

I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to have to go to AEM. If Will does the install it may be a different story but if you go with your own installers I think you need to toss that expectation out the window. The main difference between this situation and how you operate your shop is that your people do the install.

Cheers,
Ian

Not true Ian, we don't always install everything we sell. We sell accessories all the time. If you buy something from me, if it doesn't work, you bring it back to me. The reason you buy from me, and give me the business, is for that reason. Trust in knowing where to go back to. Stop making excuses. How does mine and CL65's proposal not seem reasonable to you? What you guys smoking up there?

- - - Updated - - -

This issue will not be resolved. I've taken other actions so please no more posts. I apologize for putting this out but people should know what they are getting into doing business with this guy. No more post regarding this please. Go back to, "where does this fitting go?" questions.

I know Wil personally and he is a stand up guy. 400 dollars really? A month to wait for a retune? Oh well. Just be glad you have an awesome car and are part of an awesome community.

At least that bad aem made itself known before you got too far. Imagine if it had caused you to blow your motor. $400 is peanuts in this game. That's probably the first of many unexpected expenses you are likely to encounter. While it sucks that it was DOA, it isn't the end of the world. Wil is a reasonable guy if you act the same way.

My car was strapped to the dyno overnight and needed a new fuel filter and pump.

Was the fuel filter and pump in the turbo kit Will supplied?

- - - Updated - - -

i wasn't there and didn't witness any of the phone conversation.

If i were to purchase Will's kit and a component was faulty right out of the box, i'd expect for Will to (in this case) offer to pay for another one no questions asked. I don't know about all the name calling and such, i'm just speaking of the root issue. My rough take on what happened from what I've read.

1. i buy a kit with items from vendor A
2. upon installation a component doesn't work
3. make a call- "hey this part didn't work that was included in your kit, this is what im doing or this is where im at."
4. In a perfect world, from the seller of the kit- Ok since this and that- buy another one to do what you gotta do, send me the bad part and ill refund you....(whatever is agreed)
5. Ok got one next day air shipped for $$$.
6. Will ok refunding you $$$, whatever is agreed.

r71 is this what happened?

I've never heard of "I'll buy another one and the vendor will refund me." That would be nice, but I'd never expect it or be angry if it couldn't happen that way.

The way I read this mess, r71 had 2 choices. Send the unit to the manufacturer himself or send it to Will who would then send it to the manufacturer. That sounds reasonable to me.

Back