• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

DIY SPOON Aero Mirror Installation & Information

Hello guys,

So let me be the first to writeup the installation (or at least my version) of the Spoon Mirror Install for the NSX...

First you will need a set of Spoon Mirrors, which can be purchased from www.s2carbonworks.com (SCW Performance). These not only look great, but reduce the weight by several pounds and increase the aerodynamic efficiency of the NSX.

DSC_0454_zps7413cf6b.jpg

So here goes:

1. Carefully Remove the inner door panel assembly - A good guide can be found here: http://nsxe-repair.com/DS-removal.html

2. Locate this module and remove the 2 phillips screws holding it in place.
DSC_0563_zps34fbf043.jpg

3. Remove the factory mirror assembly, break loose the 2 10mm nuts, then while holding the mirror with one hand remove the nuts by hand carefully not to drop them into the door shell (or your mirror). Also you will see the power connector for the mirror, on the back side there is a tab to press to slide the connector off the door shell (then unplug it) and slide the mirror off the car door. Here's a picture of the connector once you unclip it from the door shell...
DSC_0559_zpsccc4e66b.jpg

4. Here's where it gets interesting.... With the OEM mirror out of the way, you will notice there is no longer a tab to hold the connector / wiring to the door shell, so securing the connector so it doesn't hit the window as you roll up/down becomes a problem...My solution: Use another connector (dummy) off another Honda / Acura. I found these in a scrap yard car and got them for $5 - You can find them on just about any honda - It's just a 3-Pin connector and I cut the wiring off it to make the dummy.
DSC_0556_zps193d1741.jpg

DSC_0555_zps19d1d3fa.jpg

Wiring cut off to make the dummy...
DSC_0558_zps96ccd95a.jpg

Here it is connected together, wiring secured like OEM, and I didn't have to cut the plugs off my stock mirrors (which should be a no-no) :)
DSC_0560_zps1f005493.jpg

This is by far the best solution I could come up with to retain the OEM-ness and reversibility in case I ever need to go back to stock mirrors.

5. Next, I'd recommend a coat of your favorite wax to clean the mounting flange on the door and carefully position the Spoon mirror and bolt it in place with the supplied 8mm bolts. Do not over tighten them as you can crack / damage them.
DSC_0562_zps8cd2e52e.jpg

DSC_0561_zps6fbeb996.jpg

6. Put the door panel back on in the reverse order of removal starting with the 5 connectors and door lock knob on top. Sit back and enjoy!

Last edited:
Nice work... These look great... I looked on the website and didn't see the mirrors for sale

Last edited:
I just did a mirror swap and had the same problem so I used a carefully placed zip tie to secure the connector and it works well until I get to the scrap yard again and get some proper connectors.

Cheers
nigel

Those connectors are not sold separately by Honda/Acura and Sumitomo only sells them in quantities of 2000. I know someone who has them from a 2000 piece bulk order.
PM me if you want a set.

Guys, you should be able to pick up the connectors from any junk yard / auto salvage place for $5 or less, some places will just give then to you if you ask. They can be found in plentiful quantities in jus about every honda car... Civic, accord, prelude, Crx, del sol, odyssey, pilot etc...

They won't be, they are discontinued. SCW only offered these to the people that participated in the Spoon aero mirror Group buy.

They won't be, they are discontinued. SCW only offered these to the people that participated in the Spoon aero mirror Group buy.

If someone bought a ton of these and stocked them, they'd make a killing. Seems like there is huge demand for them.

Huge demand until it comes time to cough up the payment
shouldnt be a problem. some of us paid $1800 for mirrors and those spot were filled fast. but on that same note, people eants these due to low numbers so value would go down as numbers go up. major reason i paid what i did for my carbon6 mirror beside quality craftmanship was only 12 were produced.

Could not find any connector tabs at the local wrecking yard. So I just place a zip tie around the connector left in the door and hooked it on the small shelf where the OEM connector was located. Probably not the best but it worked.

One good thing to mention, night time driving is improved substantially by having the blue tint on the glass, the glare is reduced by half in my opinion... :)

For those of you who don't want to drive around to junk yards searching for the old mirror connector I've acquired some of these connector bodies. They are new connector bodies without dangling terminal pins.
$20 shipped for a pair (1 for left and 1 for right side.) PM me if you want a set before they're all gone.

null_zps0867888a.jpg

Last edited:
Great write up! I recently installed these mirrors as well. One suggestion while you have the door panels off - clean off all of the old adhesive and replace your vapour barriers while you're in there. I used butyl rope instead of the gross adhesive that Honda used, and just ordered new barriers from Honda.

Old adhesive coming off... use lacquer thinner.
attachment.php

Butyl rope.
attachment.php

New barrier.
attachment.php

Finished product.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• qUInEVf.jpg
    qUInEVf.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,892
  • G8sGYal.jpg
    G8sGYal.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,891
  • V3k97RA.jpg
    V3k97RA.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,891
  • XPGf86M.jpg
    XPGf86M.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 1,878
  • s08AkZq.jpg
    s08AkZq.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 1,878
Last edited:
^Awesome.

Subjective. Color match is nice, but the dark mirrors with the dark wheels/lip/spoiler also looks great.

Yeah, thanks. I went back and forth for a while on the mirrors, but eventually decided that black mirrors would look good with the rest of the black and red theme. I've also considered wrapping the top in black... maybe one day.

Back