• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Guys quick opinion on this please

Up high or down low?

• Up high above lights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Down low between lights

Votes: 16 100.0%

• Total voters
Up high above headlights or down low ?

Up high the carbon hood is single layer and flat but a tiny hole goes in car frame.

Down low hole goes in replaceable radiator bracket but I have to cut a large hole in second layer of carbon hood bottom so I can access and secure the nut to the top layer.

FC05DF87-06DA-495D-98F0-A970BC96EEC0-5887-000003C969303083_zps0d9e5877.jpg

11D1CA69-203E-45E0-98EB-FDB8CD0427BF-5887-000003C9614B3824_zpsf3511cd1.jpg

Low. But why? Is it required?

Does the hood have any fitment issues? otherwise why are you putting them on, your car is so clean.
I had to put them on mine because the hood was warped in the corner otherwise they would not have gone on also colour match them if you are set on it you can hardly see mine because it's black on black.

Can someone explain why hoodpins are needed? Do aftermarket hoods not use the stock locking mechanism?

Side note: one time I saw a Supra with an aftermarket hood fly up and into the windshield at freeway speeds. Must have been quite the experience for that guy.

To OP: They look better up high imo, but I would not want to permanently modify the frame/car in any way to accommodate mods.

Hrant has done some cerebral masterbation of aftermarket hood/fitment/ airflow/pins/track stuff.....pm him.Also I hope the path you are going with your pristine road car is one you will enjoy.

Dave has expressed his concerns about his hood lifting at high speeds due to the DF hood duct. Otherwise I don't think he would bother with these. The fact that they are smaller than most I've seen, their not so bad. But I would mount them low.

Last edited:
they have to be low.

OK 7-0 vote, I went down low.

I need them because I get flutter at speed at the track and I don't like it. This is extra safety. This is DEFINITELY better looking and less ugly than the carbon aerocatch. This is the size of a quarter and just as flat. I am going to paint them and you will hardly see them. If I didn't see the flutter I wouldn't bother but its there. I know many of you have it but it is so subtle it is very difficult to notice. You have to set a piece of tape on the windsheild get up above 100 and watch the hood edge against the tape. You will see it moves slightly. The R hood has a tremendous amount of air that goes through the vent. I am also using the downforce duct and that pushes almost 100% of the air up and over. More so than the R duct. So this is peace of mind for me. I didn't drill any holes in the car. Just in the radiator support bracket that can just be swapped out. I will post pics later. Thanks guys.

Personally I would rather have an Oem hood than have to put those on my car.

So I got them painted and mounted. You can hardly see them at all. This is a bad pic I took while at the gas station in the dark I will take more tomorrow. But they really are the most low profile hood pins ever. The windshield washer nozzles are more noticeable than these. No drag, no whistling like with most pins. My car is dirty and dusty so forgive,

FAB03868-119C-4217-B029-A91CF1F7163B-6607-00000423B404BD6E_zpsae949774.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And here is where the pins went. I can just replace this triangle piece and be back to OEM. I took steel wool to the top part, then rubbed down with alcohol, then primed, then painted 3 coats and baked it in the oven 2 hours at 275. Should be very resilient. I didn't clear coat I used an off the shelf Home Depot silver color that is amazingly almost spot on to Silverstone.

C1DC17E2-42D7-4846-A17F-BF46871408FD-6607-00000424650FAE65_zpsdfdedc99.jpg

Last edited:
Looks much better than I thought. Lets see more pics in the sun and with a clean car. :smile:

Here is one more. Car is still filthy and I need to throw clearcoat on the latches to get the same sheen. IDK why my bumper looks darker in this photo... weird... anyway I swear I cannot tell the difference between this Krylon metallic silver and the OEM Silverstone. I cannot believe how close it is other than the sheen. This is great news for me as I now have spray touch up paint if I ever need it. LOL

latch_zps25acf40b.jpg

Last edited:
Back