• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

tips for uploading photos

We all love seeing more photos, but there are some quirks to getting them up on Prime and at the request of a member, I wanted to share some of the techniques that work best for me:

Step 1: Host your images some where online.

While NSXPrime allows the upload of attachments, there is very wisely a limit set on those attachments. That's because NSXPrime is in the business of providing an awesome NSX community and not in the business of hosting photos (which can get costly). So I try to keep my images off Prime and on somewhere else.

I like ImageShack mostly because I have been using it for a while now, but really any where will do. The only important aspect is that you have a DIRECT link to the graphic and not to a shell hosting page. As a general rule, linking to Facebook hosted images is usually a fail. I have had similar problems with Microsoft skydrive, they try to put an embedded version of your graphic in rather than a direct link to the graphic file.

If you want to test, paste your link to the graphic in to a browser. If all you should see is the graphic and no extra stuff around it, you should be fine. If however there is some sort of frame, advertisement, details about the image, etc, etc, it is probably a link to a shell page and not a link to your graphic.

Step 2: Create a link to your image

When making a post, click on the little "insert image icon" and you should see the popup below. If you don't see a popup, you probably have some sort of pop up blocker. Switch "from computer" to "from URL" and be sure to uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" or else the whole notion of hosting remotely is a waste. Then hit "ok" and you should be good to go!

o8c3.jpg
etbc.jpg

Step 3: Uhh..that doesn't work in my browser!

It may sound callous, but consider switching browsers. Sadly keeping forum software up to date for all the various browsers is a major pain (I've been there), so you may want to make things easier and just go with a mainstream browser. I personally use Chrome for viewing this site and it works like a charm. You may save yourself some stress by installing Chrome and using it to surf NSXPrime.

I hope this helps some folks out, feel free to ask questions if you got them. I will give answers (and screenshots) if I have them.

Interesting. I always thought it was a pain to put pics up on Prime because you cant just place them into your reply from your desktop (like FB). You have to do Step 1 first and post them onto another site. I use Photobucket for this. But I don't use the same method in Step 2 you use. In Photobucket they have 4 different image links labeled "Direct", "HTML", "HTML thumb" and "IMG". I click on the IMG link and then I paste that link right into my reply and the image shows up.

Interesting. I always thought it was a pain to put pics up on Prime because you cant just place them into your reply from your desktop (like FB). You have to do Step 1 first and post them onto another site. I use Photobucket for this. But I don't use the same method in Step 2 you use. In Photobucket they have 4 different image links labeled "Direct", "HTML", "HTML thumb" and "IMG". I click on the IMG link and then I paste that link right into my reply and the image shows up.

Yea, Roger, me too (photobucket). I got schooled by that silverrock owner turbo-2-go. But it seems the simpler way to handle it. :smile:

I'm sadder than all of you..,.I resize my photos and upload as attachments from my pc....weak sauce i know:redface:

Thanks, great post blue_myriddn!

Folks can also upload your photos to the gallery on this site. It gives you the same IMG links Dhalsim described which make it very easy to insert them into posts.

The gallery is here: http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/ (also on the top navigation bar)

I appreciate that people are trying to conserve site resources, but as long as they are NSX-related I am happy to host them here.

Thanks Dan. I also host my images on Image Shack but was having a problem linking them.

Dave

Is there any "help" or "FAQ" to help better understand photo uploading options & limitations when uploading photos to Prime? Given that Lud is OK with uploading NSX pix to Prime, and given that it's such a bummer when externally-hosted pictures are deleted or disappear and leave an old thread full of dead picture links, I've stuck to exclusively uploading my photos to Prime so our children's children's cyborgs can not run into dead picture links. But I'm running into a few issues and have a few questions:

1) uploading to Photopost at Prime
As far as I can tell, this allows for the best quality upload. I'm trying to upload some but I get this error message when I'm about to click on the final step after uploading photos and naming them, etc. Anyone have any advice?

Problem running JPEGTRAN:

"/usr/bin/jpegtran" -copy none /home/nsxprime/nsxprime.com/htdocs/photopost/data/1454/PDI_0026.JPG

Error Code: 2

Also how does one view all their Albums? I find that when I go to view my uploaded Albums, I am shown only some, with no option to access the other albums? For example, I have 10 albums but can access only some of them here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/u25046-yinzer.html

2) uploading images within a thread (as post #1 in this thread covers)
Uploading the photo selecting "From Computer" (see post 1 in this thread for screenshots) is much easier than 1) but it seems that you hit a limit quickly and can no longer upload pictures after around 20 pictures. Is there any workaround regarding the upload limit? I uploaded many pix that way in this thread for example and eventually was given a message that I ran out of space. When I try, I get this message:

PDI_0026.JPG: Exceeds your quota by 92.2 KB.

Is there any workaround?

3) uploading from my iPhone from Tapatalk
Just to mention - this seems to be the same as 2) only I have yet to run into the "limit exceeded" issue that I do with 2). However the quality of the upload seems to degrade compared to 1), I assume the photos are compressed to some extent. No rush but thanks if anyone can help with the error message I'm getting with 1)!

Last edited:
Back