• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2004 GPW NSX Stereo Build Thread ~ A lot of tricks we learned by EuroBoutique

I think the build quality looks great, and yes, he did beat me to putting an iPad in my car. My priorities have changed... I'm happy with a phone in a PanaVise mount now, and if I get a navpod, it will likely contain the screen for a night-vision system :)

For me the visual issue is that the navpod now extends higher than the upper lip of the driver's gauge cluster, whereas an OEM navpod lines up almost perfectly with it height-wise - I don't think I would want a tall thing sticking up in the middle of the dash and ruining the NSX's legendary visibility. Whenever I drive any other car these days, even sports cars like GT3s and BRZs and whatever, I feel like I'm driving a tank through a periscope, and I can't wait to get back behind the "IMAX windshield".

However I don't see a way to hold the iPad securely at speed and also bring the top edge of the navpod down too much lower. So if you want an iPad AND a head unit, this seems to be the way to go. There is certainly room for someone to skip the head unit and try iPad mounted portrait in the dash, plus an audio processor somewhere else in the car... (you'd have to relocate the climate controls for this to work)

^ Was that your build link that I referenced?

Are you saying physically (ignore the screen) the iPad mini cannot be mounted vertically with climate controls? If it can an another option is to use less of the screen and set up multiple pages.

Yes, that was me.

Are you saying physically (ignore the screen) the iPad mini cannot be mounted vertically with climate controls? If it can an another option is to use less of the screen and set up multiple pages.

Well, in my mind, there's "looks good sitting still at the car show" and then there's "doesn't send iPad flying when I brake hard from high speed" - I don't think you can SECURELY mount the iPad in portrait orientation in the dashboard without moving the climate controls (into the glove box for example).

doesnt loook good imo , bc the ipad mini is too big imo

Rick, I definitely appreciate the effort and it's a clever idea! The craftsmanship looks good too. I'm with these guys though, it looks out of place in an NSX. I'm sorry man... better you hear from us than if someone turns this into a meme :)

Here's an idea someone with your talent can pull off. Have you considered relocating the CCU inside the main glovebox or inside the center glove box. You can fit an ipad mini vertically in it's place. Someone here mentioned it already.

Ric

I would have to agree with the tough crowd. your newly mounted screen looks like one of those big boxy looking tvs against your double din screen. Also looks as if the screen height would hinder/obstruct view.... Especially for a short person.

just my 2 cents

No problem guys, I value your opinion and I've done worse so a few words won't dampen my mood at all! In fact I love the suggestions, so keep them coming.

I chose this project since it really pushed the envelope on what can be done with a NavPod and my favorite Apple device. This thing is just awesome in what it can do for both my work and keeping my kids entertained at the same time. I agree the iPad is a bit on the large side for the NSX but I figured why not try it since this mod involves nothing with the actual car. I can simply put back my old vent system in 5 minutes, remove the bracket and be back to stock. For now it will stay just like my big wing. The NSX is a leisure car so why not have some fun and experiment a little.

As for mounting an iPad in the dash vertically, I've already done careful measurements and plan to do something like this but not in my own NSX ~ why? Simple because it would mean causing irreversible damage in terms of cutting the dash, temp unit, etc....which is a big no no.

After this thread went up, I had a Prime member contact me who shall remain nameless at this time. He wanted to do exactly what you guys suggested, move the temp unit to the center console by extending the wiring. Then we can build a custom "sleeve" to hold a Nexus table in vertical form and underneath will be a single DIN radio. This is actually not hard to do as we've done this before but on a different vehicle. Nothing is impossible the only determining factor is how much labor do you want to put into the job.

here's the stock setup in terms of location before we got our hands on it:

To make room for the iPad, the Onstar had to go, temp unit was moved to center console to create space for 2 new electronic pieces (deck + ipad)

here's the final product:

That Ipod Mini fits fantastic in whatever dash that other vehicle is!

I agree moving the CCU to the center console, as that's the only eyesore left for most people when they convert to a double din faceplate setup.

the ccu harnesses/connectors are available if you do the research or buy one from a wreck :)

this way its 100% reversible :) if i had more time I'd do it myself

Good idea, if we ever go down this path later we may opt for this technique. In most cases dramatic mods the owner rarely wants to go back to stock but good to know have this in your back pocket.

That Ipod Mini fits fantastic in whatever dash that other vehicle is!

I agree moving the CCU to the center console, as that's the only eyesore left for most people when they convert to a double din faceplate setup.

Moving the CCU in our GPW is not going to happen. I'll be bringing this setup out to a local NSX event in a few weeks so will get everyone's opinion. Like I stated before the iPad mini is a bit on the large side but not that much larger than the NAV Pod dimensions. If you are a taller guy like myself then seeing past it is really not an issue. I'm sitting in a lowered Bride seat to clear the roof and I can still see just fine.

All the stock pieces (Dash, vent, etc) are all kept in nice bubble wrapped boxes so this whole piece can easily be un-plugged and put back to stock in maybe 30 minutes at most. Even the dash wiring kit was a plug/play affair :)

I will try to take a few pics from outside the car so you can see the lines of the pod fabrication. It really is a flawless design and the iPad can be popped out in a few seconds for on the go security or usage so it's not really "married" to the car by any means!

There is so much space behind it I'm trying to decide if I want to flush mount some gauges, maybe a NSX logo, heck I could easily flush mount an Alpine 6.5" display behind it if I wanted to...haha

It would be cool if someday someone could retro fit a harness for the stock CCU and make it compatible or controllable with something else, maybe like an Ipad. That way everything could be controlled from there and it could fit in the center console.
That would totally be a labor of love. Kind of like what SR5Guy is doing reverse engineering the OBD1 NSX ECU.

Would be really cool though.

craftmanship is a 110% but... it doesnt fit the NSX. it looks like a CRV tube TV fit into a custom NAVPOD
hate to say it. love the work def something to look at.

thCAFJDHCD.jpg

There is so much space behind it I'm trying to decide if I want to flush mount some gauges, maybe a NSX logo, heck I could easily flush mount an Alpine 6.5" display behind it if I wanted to...haha

Now there's an idea... iPad in for street driving, out for track to reveal gauges or lap timer system or whatever.

craftmanship is a 110% but... it doesnt fit the NSX. it looks like a CRV tube TV fit into a custom NAVPOD
hate to say it. love the work def something to look at.

View attachment 106990

LOL ~ do you still use that at home? hehehe

Now there's an idea... iPad in for street driving, out for track to reveal gauges or lap timer system or whatever.

Yup, there is enough room back there to hide a concealed weapon in a secret compartment if needed so it would be shame to waste that hollow space in there.

Hi,

the pod looks a lot larger than the iPad mini itself... are you sure you can't make the edges thinner??

and you could also do like in that other dash: a lateral slot to slide the iPad mini in...

if you minimize the all arround trim to the bare minimum, it will look a lot better

Nuno

+1 !

either way like rick says, hes experimenting and playing around. im positive this was an extra spare oem console so everything reversable.

Hi,

the pod looks a lot larger than the iPad mini itself... are you sure you can't make the edges thinner??

and you could also do like in that other dash: a lateral slot to slide the iPad mini in...

if you minimize the all arround trim to the bare minimum, it will look a lot better

Nuno

Hi,

Nuno

Actually you are right, we just got back from SEMA and have some new ideas on how to make a v.2 bezel pod. The main problem is the NAV POD itself is so expensive so that means we need to invest another $500 for a pod just to build another version.

I have some ideas on how to streamline things for the next version. I may put this one up for sale soon to fund the next pod if anyone is interested, we will be posting it in the FS section.

thanks!

I think the real limiting factor is the expense of the navpod. Someone with more talent and skills than I should design and fabricate a totally aftermarket thing that happens to bolt up to the factory clock and navpod bracket locations - perhaps with an iPad-size hole and a channel for a lightning cable in it. Not sure if that sort of thing is too large to 3D-print.

I think if there was a clean, elegant, minimal way to add an iPad people would go for it.

I think the real limiting factor is the expense of the navpod. Someone with more talent and skills than I should design and fabricate a totally aftermarket thing that happens to bolt up to the factory clock and navpod bracket locations - perhaps with an iPad-size hole and a channel for a lightning cable in it. Not sure if that sort of thing is too large to 3D-print.

I think if there was a clean, elegant, minimal way to add an iPad people would go for it.

Your idea is great but I think the NSX market is a bit too small for a large scale mass produced item. Add to that the fact tablet form factors change so quickly it's just not practical.

Your idea is great but I think the NSX market is a bit too small for a large scale mass produced item. Add to that the fact tablet form factors change so quickly it's just not practical.

Right, hence the thought for 3D printing - since you don't need high volume for that to be economical.

The iPad is just too big. You could try it with a galaxy Note 3. That might look pretty cool. Very low profile and much higher resolution screen.

Back