• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2004 GPW NSX Stereo Build Thread ~ A lot of tricks we learned by EuroBoutique

This NSX has been in our family since 2008 and there's quite a build thread documenting most of the car's work over the years. Most importantly is the fact that any mods must be reversible and no damage can be done to the car meaning no wires touched.

You can read more about the car's history here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/107648-Dear-Santa-toys-for-my-NA2-White-NSX-)

We've been so busy building stereos for other people we rarely get around to our own cars. Been accumulating all sorts of cool parts and recently we decided it was time to get the interior stereo upgraded.

Most important is everything we do MUST BE REVERSIBLE so we picked up an old dash off Ebay and also a spare upper vent piece and door trims. The stock parts were carefully bubble wrapped and stored. We also picked up a JDM NAV Pod for modification to fit an iPad mini in the upper section and a NAV POD Bracket so no holes need to be drilled in our pristine NSX.

At first the plan was so do a single DIN Alpine radio mainly as a source unit and use the extra space for electronics. But after talking to a few guys we decided to get a Kenwood Double DIN unit just so we have a video input for NAVI and Bluetooth. We know glare is an issue for the NSX and it's not acceptable so we have plans to address this as well.

I'm a huge home audiophile guy and sound quality will be very important here. We have some neat tricks for the door speaker placement as well but that will be discussed later since right now we are going to concentrate on the dash source units first.

Here's a list of parts we accumulated that are going into this NSX:

1) JDM Nav Pod Bezel / bracket
2) Spare NSX OEM Dash trim
3) Kenwood DNX570HD Radio
4) Focal Component Speakers
5) JL XD 4-channel amplifier
6) JL 6W3 subwoofers (x2)
7) Apple iPad Mini
8) Lambo Aventador Push Button Start
9) Valentine V-1 Radar with custom bracket by EuroBoutique
10) V1 Remote Display
11) LED Ambient Lighting for Audio

The plan is to integrate the iPad mini into the NAV Pod so it looks seamless and have it as an AUX source for the audio system. Kenwood DD would control the main source switching from radio, NAVI, AUX, Bluetooth and backup cam functions. Under the Kenwood would house the push button starter and remote display for the radar system. We deleted the ash tray and relocated the cigarette lighter to under the passenger seat. Lastly the V1 main unit will be mounted on the rear window with our custom bracket. Switches will control the LED lighting and DRL system.

What we are still debating is what color to paint the dash pieces since the OEM color is a lead based paint we don't plan to replicate? We are thinking either kingsford grey to match the wheels or maybe a red color to match the seats?

here you can see the dash being re-worked and ready to be primered:

As this car sits for long periods of time we decided to wire a AUX battery system so it can run definitely off a power supply and not drain the battery:

Mock dash fitment:

iPad Mini bezel still needs a lot of work:

Last edited:
thanks guys for the comments!

Right now still doing some wiring to make sure all the needed cables are ran for future upgrades including a radar system and laser jammer. The dash work is coming along nicely and right now debating the color we want to use. Most likely it will be a satin color since we don't want any glare.

Will share some pictures once there is something to show :)

Last edited:
Thanks to a really creative idea, no holes had to be drilled in the dash! I took it one step further and used a 1/8" rubber liner under the bracket to protect the dash from any indentations:

Thanks for the pic - I bought a navpod bracket but didn't have a clue how to install it. Now I know :)

looking very awesome.

Thanks for the pic - I bought a navpod bracket but didn't have a clue how to install it. Now I know :)

LOL, you're kidding right? :)

Look for more pictures coming soon, plan to take it out tomorrow for some better shots!

where the completely photo go? or was i seeing things...

edit - found it!

IMG_3401_zps6d39f6f8.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are really a tough crowd, that picture really doesn't do the pod justice. It's shaped perfectly to flow with the rest of the car. I admit it looks a bit large but that is because of the size of the iPad mini can't be shrunk anymore.

From outside the view looks pretty stock like any other OEM pod. The only time this could cause someone an issue is if you are shorter since it might block your view but for me, I can see just fine.

I visioned this piece to be a direct bolt on piece with no drilling and pops off anytime leaving no ill-effects. So far it has worked out very nicely...

A few more pics:

Brother your car is nice. Everything you've done until that iPod monstrosity is excellent. But at the end of the day if you like it then roll with it. Personally looks way out of place and forced. Screws up the lines of the centre console imo. With our cars I truly believe the iPad mini is still too big a screen to go well with the interior

The craftsmanship and execution of the idea may be top notch but it looks terrible. It simply looks out of place and likewise I am not a fan of the navpod because of the same reason.

Could you not replace the head unit altogether and mount the iPad mini vertically below the climate controls? Kind of Tesla S-ish.

Looks like real estate is the biggest issue, however, who says one has to use the entire screen. Looks like this guy tried but failed to continue with his effort.
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/139790-nsx-ipad-mini-build.html

DzwiBh.jpg

Last edited:
quality and workmanship of course is top notch as always, perhaps its one of those cases that it looks much nicer in real life. with that said it looks overly large in all pictures thus far.

i think we're being slightly tougher re ricks car as it was one of the first few modern tastefully modded 02+ unifcorns, which 'set the standard' for many here on prime.

Brother your car is nice. Everything you've done until that iPod monstrosity is excellent. But at the end of the day if you like it then roll with it. Personally looks way out of place and forced. Screws up the lines of the centre console imo. With our cars I truly believe the iPad mini is still too big a screen to go well with the interior

Last edited:
i think we're being slightly tougher re ricks car as it was one of the first few modern 02+ unifcorns, modified tastefully that 'set the standard' for many here on prime.

No...it just looks terrible. At the end of the day it is his car, his decision and if that brings a smile to his face good for him.

Back