• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The "J" Swap

Some people have asked about swapping in the CL/TL Type-S 6 speed manual along with a J-swap so I thought I would post a comparison of the transmission gearing.

NSX vs CL_TL Type-S Trans.jpg

While the CL/TL Type-S 6 speed might be more highway friendly, 1st gear might be too low.

Last edited:
I think mating a more highway friendly transmission would be most ideal. Owning a 3.7L MDX, I can't imagine the fuel consumption when driving at 3000 RPM. Obviously, the hard part would be the mounts, axles, and shift linkage...

Some people have asked about swapping in the CL/TL Type-S 6 speed manual along with a J-swap so I thought I would post a comparison of the transmission gearing.

Coming soon

+1

Very interested in the swap with 6 speed. I bought very cheep CL Type-S 6-speed as donor car and removing the engine with 6-speed hopefully this weekend. I know there will be some fabrication that needs to be done but hopefully not that much, otherwise will just slap on the nsx 5speed and call it a day;)

Here is quick pic of the CL 6-speed axles next to nsx axles. The inside axles are from CL. Length wise its about the same the issue is with the shaft, it's much smaller. It will not just slide in to wheel hub. Also the CL abs sensor ring is too big, it will not fit. The only way to get this working is to re-use nsx outer shaft where it slides in to wheel hub and use CL to plug in to CL 6-speed.

zjq5ssmNxak4kehkWSGTriJ5RqSoMb4rS_bPhx4WlAkpk4AWSjATEVAzWqC3NHCACg13Wipp6Clvhv7il3v6x5LySgPSY153TCmq2bH4rY8nfhapjN24Nqy72t2Pb1i05hQJdvVrChUrvRAKNAq1vBm55MpcWXh1vmqhK6681yjk9QPGQDYOzEeXTrA9r8y47mZJFU7K9htO61_qCBBXCED5Izt8lx3uabDOOYtzCz6rGPg0eHzI5IfKtdbhSkuptEUx0UQJOn4V0Od6VP8X9EcCBoDgLpyH6qjzUSbOSIeTaI3JCx5yE-7v_WOmEIeD8A9zFXX6D-RQuNut9fL73W7gg90iZM49fNimcNAIWbCd6R5OwA6Nssl5tpc_Y6SrPZMQqbZtXObgODlbjis-ejL6lM62KWId25Vf5Fv3Icfcyv1q7o41XLxLhlhW4Cmj6jBQHifX2l8c00gp-C4sdVWEN0fO5lgUPNcRB48lnm7elouLIE6El56ke7Md4q3QiwkeLRDqJJwdhGMIz8ZVwslpaBFkqxYRS6qVgxY6J6sPPrOCQBJX3ns4O0L1zdMiZJ94RWLKu5cx218d2EFsmGeq6Wq1uCS_zQOMQdvREiVedTEAatCRYgZkChjeUyjmAtlWgnyvjeyXQWAEel2Qhk9dlGejYCUaA04dRxUArzU=w759-h569-no

Hope to get the right answer, the higher the number the faster the car will accelerate? Or is that only true for the final drive?
Would swapping a higher numerical final drive in the c/tl-s tranny improve the acceleration even more. ?

Assuming they make a different final drive for the TL tranny, yes. But just comparing stock vs stock, the TL 1 to 5 is very similar to the NSX JDM short gears. Cruising in 6th gear in the TL will mean you engine is only spinning at ~2200 rpm at 65mph.

Man, so glad this is getting put through its paces. I still need to stop by and check out the build! I'll be in Oregon next month for the eclipse but I'll be on the eastern side.... :(

Finally getting real headers.

16 gauge with 1.5" primaries to 2" tube or 1.5" schedule 40 primaries and collector to 2" 16 gauge tube. The headers are designed after the NSX 97-99 headers and bolt up to standard NSX exhaust.

I am going to run the schedule 40 headers.

NSX-J Front Header.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if you mentionned this anywhere but the J type motor has also been used as the basis of the HR28TT racing engine.
This engine was used in the LMP2 race cars.
The modifications done to the OEM engine are detailed here below.
We should maybe consider the J-Swap as the next evolution of the NSX not just as a band aid?
I wonder if some of these racing parts are available?
Living in France, it might be a good idea to propose a complete kit including a second hand engine as Honda never sold any J based car over here?
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-...inside-details-hr28tt-lmp-race-engine-913493/

Last edited:
I don't know if you mentionned this anywhere but the J type motor has also been used as the basis of the HR28TT racing engine.
This engine was used in the LMP2 race cars.
The modifications done to the OEM engine are detailed here below.
We should maybe consider the J-Swap as the next evolution of the NSX not just as a band aid?
I wonder if some of these racing parts are available?
Living in France, it might be a good idea to propose a complete kit including a second hand engine as Honda never sold any J based car over here?
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-...inside-details-hr28tt-lmp-race-engine-913493/

CB72, Yes the HR28TT is an awesome motor, however it is based on the J35Z which uses a different bell housing pattern that won't bolt up to the NSX transmission. If you use a compatible J-series transmission, the J35Z series can be used but now you also need custom axles, custom shift cables and more custom motor mounts. Other NSX owners have installed a J-series transmission during their J-swap, however I don't think anyone has used a J35Z series yet.

I know other owners have had J32a2 and J35a3 motors shipped to their countries. I would have no problem putting together a complete kit including motors. I currently have 5 motors in stock.

My dilemma,
I want to do the J-swap but after researching I am finding that it may be cheaper to just repair my C30. Which is crazy to me. How is it that a $500 motor ends up costing me $5500 or so in parts to go into my car when the parts to replace my crank, 2 rods, and oil pump with all gaskets, seal, pistons and so on is only $4700. IF i wanedt to put a j-swap in my civic I would only be out approximately $4000. This includes new axles and 6 speed trans.
Just curious, sucks to be in this position. I learned that the car was supercharged for quite sometime and I'm sure caused some premature wear. I have 165k miles on her and just lost oil pressure on the highway. This baffles me.

^ plus your c motor will be worth more money working vs not working. I thought about J swap when my motor blew, but decided to keep the c. I just couldn’t leave behind the sound of the c motor. Both are expensive unless you do most of the fabrication and installation.

My dilemma,
I want to do the J-swap but after researching I am finding that it may be cheaper to just repair my C30. Which is crazy to me. How is it that a $500 motor ends up costing me $5500 or so in parts to go into my car when the parts to replace my crank, 2 rods, and oil pump with all gaskets, seal, pistons and so on is only $4700. IF i wanedt to put a j-swap in my civic I would only be out approximately $4000. This includes new axles and 6 speed trans.
Just curious, sucks to be in this position. I learned that the car was supercharged for quite sometime and I'm sure caused some premature wear. I have 165k miles on her and just lost oil pressure on the highway. This baffles me.

Hi BUGS2K, Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Yes, the initial investment can be more expensive than repairing your C30, depending on what needs repair. Many parts for the C30 are no longer available, like cranks, so it might be if it can be repaired, I hope it can. Some of the cost of the J-swap in the NSX is supply and demand, the NSX J-swap is a very small market and there are very few people offering kits to do the swap. I can tell you, that everyone who has done the swap in their NSX is very happy with the swap, wishes they could have done it years ago and would not go back to a C30/C32.

If you would like more info or would like to talk to some people who have a J32a2 or J35a3 in their NSX just send me a PM.

^ plus your c motor will be worth more money working vs not working. I thought about J swap when my motor blew, but decided to keep the c. I just couldn’t leave behind the sound of the c motor. Both are expensive unless you do most of the fabrication and installation.

The sound of the J vs C, sure every motor has a distinct sound, however if you are comparing the sound of a J in an Accord vs a C in an NSX then that is meaningless. Both the C and the J motors have the same 120 degree intake and exhaust pulses, when the J is installed in the NSX with headers that separate the front and rear banks and route the exhaust just like the stock NSX, the exhaust sound is virtually the same. The intake resonances and sound of a J in an Accord are quite muted, however in the NSX the intake sounds of the J are more pronounced, in fact, the VTEC change over is more noticeable with a J than the C-motor.

The sound of the J vs C, sure every motor has a distinct sound, however if you are comparing the sound of a J in an Accord vs a C in an NSX then that is meaningless. Both the C and the J motors have the same 120 degree intake and exhaust pulses, when the J is installed in the NSX with headers that separate the front and rear banks and route the exhaust just like the stock NSX, the exhaust sound is virtually the same. The intake resonances and sound of a J in an Accord are quite muted, however in the NSX the intake sounds of the J are more pronounced, in fact, the VTEC change over is more noticeable with a J than the C-motor.
Thanks for the detailed info. I couldn’t really find much video or such for the J swap when I underwent a motor build. I think it is great you offer options to the community and I’m not trying to dog it. At the end of the day for me though, it wouldn’t be an nsx with a J swap and quite frankly my aftermarket build isn’t really an nsx either to boot as everything is non stock. So who am I to judge? Just seems like the J swap is catching on and building higher premiums lately. On a funny note, when asking my engine builder about swapping to a J series, he made the Keystone bitter beer face. :biggrin: Some people are just die hard I guess. It was funny though, and I just thought I’d share. Keep up the great work with the swaps. Also, for people who cannot find crankshafts,”usually turbo guys who spin bearings” BC stroker kit. :wink:

It is great that all the parts to make this happen are available. There were some vendors that were going to offer a turbo kit for it to make this sweeter but kind of lost a track where that is. Last year SOS mention something they will also have a swap kit available but there was no update after that. In any case sounds like a nice option.

Yea it would be great to see more videos of the j32/j35 to hear it running, also noticed all the pictures are not available anymore, must be the issue with photobucket.

Here's my take on this since I'm one of the first to get this done. This mod isn't for someone who needs to fix their car just to get it running or someone not keeping or using the car much. For me, I use the car every chance I get and don't mind putting miles on it. For this case, up keep comes into play. I didn't want to pay the premium "NSX" parts price so I went with this option since my original C is still running perfect and could bring down the cost of this mod greatly when sold. And yes, my C went to another die hard NSX owner that had a bad motor. We both got what we wanted. I'm not hating the extra mid range torque and engine bay space either. The truth is that the day I picked up the X which had my Taitec Iconel exhaust on, I couldn't tell the difference in sound. My passenger that sat in it frequently was also surprised that it didn't seem any different. It's not for everybody for sure but, I'm happy with this. I welcome anyone who thinks I'm not an true NSX lover to pick me out of a crowd of NSX's. I'm making my X better and more enjoyable for myself. Sorry if this upsets the purist. I mean no harm. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
How much did it all cost if you do not mind me asking? Also, did you do all the work or did you have an engine shop do the work?

The man himself, Velocitized did mine right after completing his. I'm in about $7k. Don't know if everyone will be the same since I was his first customer for this and prices on parts or other things could of gone up or down a bit now. I would say it's should still be in the general area. I was already planning on adding boost from the get go so some things didn't matter. Hope this helps. Just remember that from this point on, I have no worries about motor parts being in short supply or replacing the whole motor all together. :)

It is really dumb of Honda to not offer us crate motors given the age these cars. Even just the bottom end would be smart for them. They could easily make money.
I have no idea what a J motor would sound like given my build specs, but I can say that this C motor I have now is a caged animal.

It is great that all the parts to make this happen are available. There were some vendors that were going to offer a turbo kit for it to make this sweeter but kind of lost a track where that is. Last year SOS mention something they will also have a swap kit available but there was no update after that. In any case sounds like a nice option.

Yea it would be great to see more videos of the j32/j35 to hear it running, also noticed all the pictures are not available anymore, must be the issue with photobucket.
This was a big factor for me to stay C. The lack of seeing it or hearing it. Been to many Nsx events and never seen a J swap. Not saying it isn’t a good option, just lack of experience with one.

I have seen one and they appear to fit very nice and sound pretty good as well. IF I ever need a rebuild ill be taking my car north! I love the nsx but Im not a purest either. I say do what make you happy, you only live once enjoy what you like.

Back