• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2014 F1 thread....

I hope williams continues to perform. Although I wish massa was on too of bottas just to prove to his old team and Alonso that he's still a great driver. I hope Ron Dennis comes through with mclaren as well and kimi... He's retiring after this year so he doesn't care.

I hope williams continues to perform. Although I wish massa was on too of bottas just to prove to his old team and Alonso that he's still a great driver. I hope Ron Dennis comes through with mclaren as well and kimi... He's retiring after this year so he doesn't care.

I thought Kimi is signed thru next season. That being said, I think they will send him to the testing home and bring somebody new in. Valentino Rossi perhaps!

This season is reminding me of the team in the late 80s, a bunch of mechanics running around waving their arms.

Hamiltons run of luck is continuing, thought Vettel might do it or even Bottas then Rosberg just spanked them by .5 seconds damn. Should be a good race for podium spots behind Rosberg

It was fantastic race even on circuit with lack of passing places.Great run for Daniel and congrats for Alonsos fight till end.He show again his talent with weaker car.Good job for Lewis,guys from Merc must be angry for not give space Niko to pass(I like that from Lewis).

Last edited:
The most amazing race I've ever seen. Edge of the seat action throughout, I'm still pumped about it. Ricciardo was a 20:1 odd too, my $3 bet made me $60, and just having a little skin on the race made it that much more exciting to watch, just incredible finish.

Wonderful race!

The racing just keep's on getting better and better...
Glad that Lewis held his ground when asked to move over, Merc should be ashamed, because all of his DNF this year have been to car failure.
Assuming that he came second in all the races that the car broke down, he would be leading the Championship by a mile

Bram

Glad that Lewis held his ground when asked to move over, Merc should be ashamed, because all of his DNF this year have been to car failure.
Assuming that he came second in all the races that the car broke down, he would be leading the Championship by a mile

Bram
Merc made a stupid decision there. It was way premature. Makes you wonder....

Nico reminded me of how Vettel was last year.

Drive of the race goes to Alonso, would have been nice to see him on the top podium position. With a slightly faster machine, he would have easily won that race!

WTF were McLaren thinking?! Jenson Button was in a solid 2nd place at the time of the first safety car.... SMFH

Never thought I'd be sympathetic for Hamilton but I just cannot believe Mercedes, Toto Wolff, et al, could be so myopic in their handling of that situation. Considering typical F1 driver behavior and their patience level, I'm not so sure he won't request to be let out of his contract early.

I know teams are sensitive to being accused of favoritism but this was either incredibly stupid or spectacularly egregious.

Mercedes' call on Hamilton to move over was a normal call, from the teams point of view. If, and I know it's a big IF, Hamilton had moved over as Rosberg approached, they could have won the race, but I don't blame Hamilton for not moving over. And I don't see the need for any recriminations against the drivers, as Lauda alluded to. The real problem for Mercedes was they failed to see that Rosberg would loose significant time trying to latch onto the back of Hamilton, to get close enough to pass. That didn't happen, and they allowed Rosberg to flounder for several laps which wasn't what his strategy called for.

What they should have done is what Ricciardo did off his own bat - when asked if he could hang in there with his then tyres, till the end of the race, Ricciardo was smart enough to say, no they had passed their use by date, and needed to be replaced ASAP, so as not to loose too much time to the chasing cars, and secondly to give him enough laps to catch and pass Hamilton and Alonso. That was the right strategy, not what Mercedes came up with.

So who were Mercedes favouring, Hamilton or Rosberg? IMHO neither, they just wanted one of their cars winning the race, and in the end it was the pit wall that mucked up, not Hamilton, nor Rosberg.

- - - Updated - - -

Drive of the race goes to Alonso, would have been nice to see him on the top podium position. With a slightly faster machine, he would have easily won that race!

WTF were McLaren thinking?! Jenson Button was in a solid 2nd place at the time of the first safety car.... SMFH

While Alonso did brilliantly to get second, he didn't drive a faultless race [he did cut one of the chicanes in the closing laps] :D Ricciardo lucked into P1 after the first safety car, but he would have disappeared if the second safety car hadn't of come out when it did, which also changed the complexion of the race. In the end he drove a faultless race, and continues to amaze with his maturity in the car, like hanging back in the last stint to protect his tyres, and leave his attack till his opponent's tyres would be at their worst! Brilliant.

As for McLaren, 20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing, is it not! They gambled because they didn't have the car speed for an even fight. Fair enough, frustrating but they went for glory. Not sure Button [on the same strategy as Red Bull] would have done much better the Vergne, with how the race panned out.

Alonso did brilliantly to get second, he didn't drive a faultless race [he did cut one of the chicanes in the closing laps] :D Ricciardo lucked into P1 after the first safety car, but he would have disappeared if the second safety car hadn't of come out when it did, which also changed the complexion of the race. In the end he drove a faultless race, and continues to amaze with his maturity in the car, like hanging back in the last stint to protect his tyres, and leave his attack till his opponent's tyres would be at their worst! Brilliant.

As for McLaren, 20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing, is it not! They gambled because they didn't have the car speed for an even fight. Fair enough, frustrating but they went for glory. Not sure Button [on the same strategy as Red Bull] would have done much better the Vergne, with how the race panned out.

I think Alonso gain advantage in opening race where he was faster then others on wet track.This was brilliant luck for him there was 3x SC on track and fight for possition behind him.
And for Mclaren if all other teams decide to go on slick tyres it was something wrong with decision to stay on inter's.Maybe for right tyre choice and help of SC can score better points.

exciting indeed.Nico was never threatening Hamo.....and Hamo is no Massa.Still miss the noise.

exciting indeed.Nico was never threatening Hamo.....and Hamo is no Massa.Still miss the noise.

I agree with the sound, but for this race you almost forgot about it because there was much more going on. It's probably one of the most exciting races I've seen down til the end. Most races are pretty boring during the middle phrase and my A.D.D kicks in and I fall asleep or wander off to eat something. This one I was pretty much glued to the TV.

When that team order was called for Lewis to move over and there was no response at first that was classic. I still can't believe Alonso made those tires last so long.

Actually German law allows for a case to be closed with defendant payment and no judgement if all 3 parties agree to it: Defendant, prosecution and the judge. It is rarely used, only in complicated cases where a clear outcome is not achievable.

Last edited:
Actually German law allows for a case to be closed with defendant payment and no judgement if all 3 parties agree to it: Defendant, prosecution and the judge. It is rarely used, only in complicated cases where a clear outcome is not achievable.

In other words, it shouldn't apply to Bernie's case, but somehow his fortune made it applicable to him.

No it did apply to him. Apparently months of investigations made apparent the fact that it would be very lengthy and doubtful to convict him so they applied that law and all three parties agreed on the amount just like the law stipulates. I know it feels good and rewarding to judge and condemn a man who has much more than we have but we obviously don't know all the facts.

No it did apply to him. Apparently months of investigations made apparent the fact that it would be very lengthy and doubtful to convict him so they applied that law and all three parties agreed on the amount just like the law stipulates. I know it feels good and rewarding to judge and condemn a man who has much more than we have but we obviously don't know all the facts.

he's akin to politicians..

Finally, we get an American driver in F1. Hopefully he does good considering the equipment he has and stays in the sport for a while.

Back