• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

The Official 2014 F1 thread....

Sochi race was pretty ho hum. McLaren has very much improved, at least at this track, they showed great pace, particularly Jenson Button. I was hoping he would get on podium, especially considering Rosberg was on a 1 stopper, and changed tires after 1 lap but made the tires last the entire race. I was beyond sure that they would degrade way before the race was over and Bottas and Button would Shirley get past him at the end.

Clearly McLaren will be making a mistake if they let go of Jenny, which he is more than proving his worth as he has in the past.

Clearly McLaren will be making a mistake if they let go of Jenny, which he is more than proving his worth as he has in the past.

I'm a Button fan, but if you're McLaren and have Alonso willing to get in your car what would you do?

Obviously Alonso would be option 1, then a toss up over whether you keep Button with his vast experience, but at the end of his career, or plunk for Magnussen with his youth and potential?? Magnussen should be a much better driver with this year's experience under his belt, and has shown great speed if not consistency. No easy choice there then?

I'm a Button fan, but if you're McLaren and have Alonso willing to get in your car what would you do?

Obviously Alonso would be option 1, then a toss up over whether you keep Button with his vast experience, but at the end of his career, or plunk for Magnussen with his youth and potential?? Magnussen should be a much better driver with this year's experience under his belt, and has shown great speed if not consistency. No easy choice there then?

Easy choice.
I would keep Button WITH Alonso, great experience AND shows proven results. Especially with a new car/engine next year, I'd rather have the experience there to help develop the car.
Now if Magnussen was beating Button like Ricciardo is beating Vettel, then yes, the obvious choice would be Magnussen, BUT, that is not the case here.

One thing I've noticed with Button is that he drives to the standard of his teammate. There needs to be some external motivation for him to really excel.

I know Honda wants a marque driver and Alonso would fit the bill. However, there's a lot of water under that bridge and I wonder how many at Macca forgive Alsonso for his part in the whole Spygate ordeal.

For those of you that think Jenson Button is slow and should get the boot should Alonso come to McLaren, here are some stats for you. ;)

During the three season they spent together as teammates at McLaren (2010 – 2011 – 2012) that most people think:

Jenson scored two Grand Prix victories less than Lewis (8 versus 10) but actually slightly more points (672 vs 657).

Lewis Hamilton: 3 + 3 + 4 victories and 240 + 227 + 190 points

Jenson Button: 2 + 3 + 3 victories and 214 + 270 + 188 points

The podium girls were smokin......I almost thought putin was gonna go shirtless.....Bernie and putin dressing alike......that asphalt had such low abrasion kinda made tires irrelevant ...no stopper anyone....Did Hammo blow the putin handshake off in the pre podium lounge?

The podium girls were smokin......I almost thought putin was gonna go shirtless.....Bernie and putin dressing alike......that asphalt had such low abrasion kinda made tires irrelevant ...no stopper anyone....Did Hammo blow the putin handshake off in the pre podium lounge?

Here we go, same argument was made at FChat. No he didn't, I think Hamilton is more worried about ignoring Rosberg more than Putin. He went straight for his 1st place hat, watch, water, and towel. He still gave Vlad a firm and loud handshake in the pre podium lounge.

Glad to see McLaren finish 4th/5th.

Regarding Alonso - Any new info or are we just speculating for fun. It sounded like he was thinking of taking a year off. Personally - I like JB but am excited about the possibility of Alonso/Magnusson!!

Glad to see McLaren finish 4th/5th.

Regarding Alonso - Any new info or are we just speculating for fun. It sounded like he was thinking of taking a year off. Personally - I like JB but am excited about the possibility of Alonso/Magnusson!!

Luca di Montezemolo said on some TV show that Alonso was leaving after this season. No OFFICIAL announcement yet though. LdM is on his way out of Ferrari himself too, going to Audi from what I hear, so who knows what his motives are for saying Alonso is leaving without an official statement. Something is going down at Ferrari with management me thinks.

So far, we only know that Alonso is leaving Ferrari. Vettel is leaving Red Bull. Both Mercedes drivers are staying put. Kvyatt is promoted to Red Bull. McLaren hasn't signed any drivers yet.

Alonso/Button would be the better pairing. Magnussen qualifies good, but fails to impress on race day, where it counts.

Good synopsis with the driver movement and available seats...however there is also the talk of Alonso may take a year off 2015.... Really it anyone guess, because this is F1 and any thing is possible.

Bram

James Allen is reporting that Alonso is in final stages with a deal with McLaren Honda sending poor Jenson to Porsche LeMans series. I feel sad for Jenson, for the way his F1 career is about to end.

I think only question in contract is does Alonso stay in McL for 2016. as he negotiate with Merc for 2016. seat.
It will depend on next year car.
I'm sorry for Jenson too, but reasonable move from McL.

It won't affect the race but it sucks they don't have a full grid.

They also won't be making it to Interlagos, and who knows if they'll race in Abu Dhabi.

...so any reports from the track...

Anyone from prime going to COTA? I wish I was but have some other family obligations! Ugh.

I thought it wasn't such a great drive by Rosberg, his pace early in his second stint cost him any chance of fighting for the lead. Hamilton has shown he deserves this year's driver's championship, and I hope the double points scenario doesn't come into play for it would be a travesty of the highest order should he loose the championship due to the doubling of the final round points score.

And Daniel just keeps going from strength to strength. Should he overcome his starting problems, and stay as consistent as he currently is, he will be a force to consider in the future! I'm biased, but his good nature and easy going attitude are so endearing to the public, he cannot help but be liked by a large fan base. Honey badger supreme. He was being interviewed on Australian TV pre-race, and was effusing on the great time he was having in the "party" atmosphere of the Austin F1 weekend. Suddenly realised his mother would be watching the telecast back home [3am local time] and promptly apologized to his mum for having an obviously boyish good time, just like the good little Italian boy he was raised up to be :) Such a sweet "sorry mum" would have been enough me thinks :)

Back